1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

New to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:24 AM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the forum

Just wanted to stop in and say hi. I recently purchased a 72 ranger and am really excited to own and wrench on this old truck. I am not new to forums and have always been in one based on the cars I've had...

I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions, but I'll use the search function before hand to cut out the newb questions. Glad to be here...

Below is a picture of the truck... I am a picture *****, because I believe if there's no pictures it didn't happen. rofl.

Name:  truck%201_zpshrvz9wl0.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  151.0 KB

Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome aboard. Lots of knowledge in in this forum.

Btw, use the advanced search function. The regular search isn't specific enough.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:15 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to the FTE Bumpside forum. Looks your truck is in good overall shape. What are its particulars and what are your plans for the truck?

Old 08-20-2016, 03:37 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
As far as particulars it's got what I've been told is the original 302 with auto tranny(not sure which one) I'm sure y'all will help me figure that out. 81k on the meter. Everything works great and it fires right up and drives.

Honestly it is great as is but like most, the brake situation is pitiful. I'm a wrench it myself kind of guy so the work isn't scary to me. But where to start is the question? Seems like there are multiple ways to accomplish it. I am not afraid to head to the junkyard but knowing what to get is the issue. I guess I'll have to keep reading and seeing who's done what.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:57 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
The transmission is most likely a C-4, unless someone has swapped it out for a later small-block C-6.

First order of business would to be in getting the mechanicals up to par. Inspect/go through the brakes. The trucks ability to go won't mean too much if it can't (controllably) come to a stop. If the truck was sitting up for a while and then starts seeing use again, it's not unusual that the brakes will fail soon afterwards (this happened to me and happens to lots of other people as well). Obviously, this is a potentially unsafe situation to have.

If there are engine, transmission, rear end leaks, etc., the next order of business would be to get these sealed up.

Change all fluids and verify all mechanical and electrical systems are fully functional. Fix any hack work in any of these areas that may exist.

If you're wanting to upgrade to front disc brakes, power brakes, steering, etc., there are plenty of people here who've done all that and can tell you what's needed and/or how to install them.

My unofficial build thread here showing things I've changed on my truck or that I'm working on.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ont-drums.html

Information to decode the warranty tag codes on your truck.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/VIN72.htm

Old 08-20-2016, 04:47 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
The great news is this truck was owned by a mechanic. Within the last year the drums, fuel tank/lines, battery, plugs, wires, oil, and shocks were replaced. It was sitting on concrete where I got it and I saw no leaks before or after a long drive.

I have a young son so affordable upgrades are my ticket right now. Thanks for the links. I'll start a build thread next week and post more pictures

Old 08-20-2016, 05:47 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
There are a lot of skilled and very knowledgeable guys on here that can help you with most any problem you might encounter. All you have to do is ask and most likely someone here will have the answer or, at least some knowledge about it to point you in the right direction to get the answer you're looking for.

I look forward to reading more about your truck and don't forget those pictures --we like pictures around here.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:37 PM
SmokeyBear31
Senior User
Welcome Matt. Nice truck. It looks like its been taken care of. I love the aluminum slots. I'll parrot what has already been said, lots of knowledge here and the folks here are extremely helpful.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:05 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by SmokeyBear31
the folks here are extremely helpful.
Originally Posted by ultraranger
There are a lot of skilled and very knowledgeable guys on here...

When you bring this many maniacs, morons, idiots and lunatics (oops, I meant enthusiasts! ) together in one spot, we're bound to hit the nail on the head sooner or later. Haha

It goes something like this. First 30 seconds.
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-pXK...planning_jobs/

Old 08-20-2016, 11:15 PM
NashvegasMatt
More Turbo
Anyone know just by looking if the wheels are factory? They look like they'd be pretty easy to clean up

Old 08-21-2016, 12:19 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
They are NOT factory wheels. No aluminum wheels were available until the late 70s.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Matt Elliott
Freshman User
Welcome Matt! Welcome to the forum. I was a noob not too long ago. Here is a post to my "build". The guys on here are awesome and helped me out a lot. If there is one thing I learned it's that old plastic is brittle, don't try to pull off any old rubber hoses, use a knife...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-72-f100.html

Old 08-21-2016, 11:10 PM
70FE250
Senior User
Welcome! The gents here will take good care of you here. And good idea on using the search engine, that way your forums don't end up like mine with 40 posts on simple issues

Old 08-23-2016, 04:43 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Welcome to FTE and the Bumpside Kingdom.

I see you are no stranger to forums. Glad to have you aboard. We do appreciate when someone tries research 1st, but we'll all reach out a hand.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:44 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
When you bring this many maniacs, morons, idiots and lunatics (oops, I meant enthusiasts! ) together in one spot, we're bound to hit the nail on the head sooner or later. Haha

It goes something like this
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-pXK...planning_jobs/

I resemble that remark.

Quick Reply: New to the forum