Sponsored by: Moser

AFTERMARKET TAILGATE QUALITY--NEED INFO

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:00 PM
78 Ford F150 460
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AFTERMARKET TAILGATE QUALITY--NEED INFO

So my 78 F150 is at the body shop getting the side panel on the bed replaced and I'd like them to pull a dent out of the top of the tailgate and repaint it at the same time they replace the side panel. The tailgate has a few small dings here and there, besides the dent on the top of the tailgate, and is ever so slightly bowed just a little bit, but not too bad at all. Long story short, the guy at the body shop said it would cost as much or even a little more (depending on how much work it takes to pull the dent) than it is to buy a new tailgate and just paint it. I'd rather have a new tailgate because then all the little dings and blemishes that my old tailgate has wouldn't be there in the new one. With that said, I've been looking at tailgates from LMC Truck, Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, Blue Oval Truck Parts, and Auto Krafters.

I have a few questions...

1) Are there any new tailgates available that are NOT imported that are OEM quality? If so, who has them?
2) What is the gauge of an OEM Tailgate?
3) What is the gauge of an imported tailgate?
4) Has anyone used an imported tailgate? If so, how did it fit and was it as strong as the OEM?
5) What type of metal is used in the OEM tailgate?
6) What type is used in the imported tailgate?

I'm looking for OEM quality and strength and anything that is imported is a big red flag to me because it's usually low quality junk that is inferior to OEM stuff! However, there may be some good quality imported stuff, but I'm sure it's from a select source. But I'd rather buy Made in the USA OEM quality if I can find it. Can anyone answer my 6 questions and give some advice about this....from your experience? Thanks...

Old 08-19-2016, 09:01 PM
Bulldog187th
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im in the same boat and was wondering the same thing on LMC, glad you asked

Old 08-19-2016, 09:17 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 202 Likes on 160 Posts
Dennis Carpenter has an import version but they also have a Ford spec tailgate that is OEM quality. It is also stamped from galvanized steel to help stop rustout internally.
Tailgate - Styleside | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts

I would avoid the import tailgates like the plague. I've never used one but I know a couple of guys who did. Both regretted it. One sat on his tailgate and bowed it, the other could never get it to fit correctly. It tended to open while going down the road.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Dirt racer
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an aftermarket one on my 75 truck. I bowed really bad when I pushed a stump out of the back of my truck. Had to toss it. Found a nice oem on craigslist for $75. I would go with the oem spec one or find a ford one.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I spent the time to repair my OE tailgate. It does take time but it has been fine after repairs and does get worked.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:12 PM
78 Ford F150 460
Mountain Pass
Thank you everyone for your input!!! What you said is exactly what I thought and feared about the imported junk. Thanks for the Dennis Carpenter link also. You guys rock!!!!

Old 08-19-2016, 10:18 PM
78 Ford F150 460
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by mikeo0o0o0
Dennis Carpenter has an import version but they also have a Ford spec tailgate that is OEM quality. It is also stamped from galvanized steel to help stop rustout internally.
Tailgate - Styleside | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restoration Parts

I would avoid the import tailgates like the plague. I've never used one but I know a couple of guys who did. Both regretted it. One sat on his tailgate and bowed it, the other could never get it to fit correctly. It tended to open while going down the road.
Have you used or know anyone who has used this tailgate from Dennis Carpenter? Is it just as strong as original? Did it bow when weight was put on it like the imports did?

Old 08-19-2016, 10:30 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 78 Ford F150 460
Have you used or know anyone who has used this tailgate from Dennis Carpenter? Is it just as strong as original? Did it bow when weight was put on it like the imports did?
I don't know anyone who has used it but DC has a really good reputation overall and I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I was in need.
They are licensed by Ford to reproduce them and are built to OEM specs. The fact that they're made using double sided galvanized steel is a big plus. And another big plus (to me anyway) is they're made in the USA.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:07 PM
78 Ford F150 460
Mountain Pass
I don't know anyone who has used it but DC has a really good reputation overall and I wouldn't hesitate to get one if I was in need.
They are licensed by Ford to reproduce them and are built to OEM specs. The fact that they're made using double sided galvanized steel is a big plus. And another big plus (to me anyway) is they're made in the USA.
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a bunch for that info!!!

I looked on their website and they only seem to have the tailgate with the raised letters. The one I have does not have the raised letters, but rather the tailgate finish panel with the "FORD" embossed on the finish panel. Was the tailgate with the raised letters an option depending on trim package? What designated one truck gets the tailgate with the raised letters and another truck gets a tailgate without the raised letters, but rather the finish panel?

Old 08-19-2016, 11:11 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks a bunch for that info!!!

I looked on their website and they only seem to have the tailgate with the raised letters. The one I have does not have the raised letters, but rather the tailgate finish panel with the "FORD" embossed on the finish panel. Was the tailgate with the raised letters an option depending on trim package? What designated one truck gets the tailgate with the raised letters and another truck gets a tailgate without the raised letters, but rather the finish panel?
ALL Ford tailgates had the embossed "FORD" in the tailgate. The ones that had the "FORD" trim panel, had the panel installed over a "FORD" embossed tailgate.
If your tailgate is plain with no Ford embossed on it, then you have an aftermarket tailgate .

Old 08-19-2016, 11:21 PM
weldman
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a DC ford licensed OE tooling tailgate and I truly can't tell the difference from the original ones I've had. Opens and closes great and fits perfect. The body shop didn't complain one bit about it (the same cannot be said about the drivers side bedside (non-OE tooling)....I do need to lower the right bracket a bit though.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:22 PM
78 Ford F150 460
Mountain Pass
ALL Ford tailgates had the embossed "FORD" in the tailgate. The ones that had the "FORD" trim panel, had the panel installed over a "FORD" embossed tailgate.
If your tailgate is plain with no Ford embossed on it, then you have an aftermarket tailgate .

Really? I'm going to have to stop down at the body shop and look at my truck and see if there's raised letters under my trim panel. I do know the trim panel set flush with the tailgate as opposed to having a gap between the finish panel and the surface of the tailgate if it was installed on top of the raised letters....You have me curious now.

I've seen on the websites I mentioned in my original post that they offer both tailgates with raised letters and without raised letters. What doesn't make sense to me is why would Ford install the finish panel over the top of the raised letters? What's the purpose of doing that?

Old 08-19-2016, 11:30 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
What doesn't make sense to me is why would Ford install the finish panel over the top of the raised letters? What's the purpose of doing that?
Welcome to mass production. It is much cheaper for Ford to make one panel than two. They only have one part number to manufacture, market and stock.
Making the die for the FORD doesn't cost that much more than a plain panel. In the quantities Ford deals with, the cost is probably a couple of cents a tailgate, so it's not worth it to Ford to make two different panels.
The finish panel, there were a couple of different versions, were used on the Ranger, Ranger XLT and Lariat trim levels. The Custom and Explorer got the tailgate with no trim.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:34 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
I've seen on the websites I mentioned in my original post that they offer both tailgates with raised letters and without raised letters.
All of the plain "no name" tailgates are aftermarket imports, the ones that have FORD on them are authorized by Ford and, this is a guess on my part, probably made by Dennis Carpenter and being resold by other dealers. I know LMC sells several parts that are actually made by DC. They charge a higher price than DC charges and when you get the part, it's still in the DC packaging.
Also, there will be a substantial price difference between with and without the Ford stamping.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:36 PM
78 Ford F150 460
Mountain Pass
Welcome to mass production. It is much cheaper for Ford to make one panel than two. They only have one part number to manufacture, market and stock.
Making the die for the FORD doesn't cost that much more than a plain panel. In the quantities Ford deals with, the cost is probably a couple of cents a tailgate, so it's not worth it to Ford to make two different panels.
The finish panel, there were a couple of different versions, were used on the Ranger, Ranger XLT and Lariat trim levels. The Custom and Explorer got the tailgate with no trim.
Makes sense. Mine is a 78 Ranger XLT Super Cab, which explains why I have the trim panel. Thanks for the education. Really appreciate it. Now to figure out which route to take. The DC tailgate is $449 + the $380 to paint it and install the moldings. By the time I'm done I'm betting it will be cheaper to fix my tailgate. Hmm, we'll see what they quote me to fix mine.

Quick Reply: AFTERMARKET TAILGATE QUALITY--NEED INFO