Power Fold Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:05 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Power Fold Mirrors

...almost done with the install!

The mirrors bolt on and come with adapters...so all you need to do is plug and play. If you don't have existing turn signal/running light mirrors, you will need to add two wires...one for each signal. You can tap into the back of the headlight switch for the clearance lights, and into the turn signal leads for the signals.

I won't do the photos of the mirror bolt on - they are direct bolt-ons and there are probably a dozen other threads with those pics. I can say it seems to me that these are much more stable than the older series tow mirrors. I'm noticing less vibration at speed than before...and those bottom mirrors are MUCH better than the small ones on the old series. I can adjust it to see from the horizon (on a flat road) and can still see the back tire of the Ex.

This set from 1A Auto, the power fold/heated/power adjust/signal mirrors, part number 1AMRP01614

These are NOT the power extend model, just power fold. They can manually fold front to rear if you bump something by accident, however the instructions state when possible use the power fold feature, as doing them by hand can weaken the gears inside (?).

What has been holding me up is where to mount the actual switch. I read one thread where they mounted the switch between the mirror adjuster and the window switch. When I pulled the switch panel off, I wasn't happy with the limited clearance below for the switch wiring...I'd have had to pinch the switch for the fold, the wiring for the front windows, or both...plus the poster indicated he had to trim a little bit of the mirror adjust switch to get it to fit.

I did notice however that there is just enough room on the door panel itself just forward of the mirror/window/door lock switch panel to fit the switch.

I took a razor knife, heated it up with a blowtorch and viola - within a minute I had the switch cutout exactly where I wanted it.

...yes, the truck needs a deep cleaning, but it's been a busy fire season!

By mounting the switch in the door instead of on the dash, I'm anticipating needing to add some length to the passenger side wiring harness for the power fold, but it's only 2 wires and should be easy to do.

I'm hoping to wrap this up tonight or over the weekend...I'll put a video up of the final results.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:35 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put my power fold switch between the mirror adjuster and the window switches.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:13 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hwybee22
I put my power fold switch between the mirror adjuster and the window switches.
I looked at that but didn't like how tight the clearance was for the wiring below...I have big hands and trying to disconnect that wiring in that tight of a space would have been miserable. Plus it's now far enough away I can't accidentally hit it when I go to roll up the windows.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:38 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
I'm noticing less vibration at speed than before...and those bottom mirrors are MUCH better than the small ones on the old series. I can adjust it to see from the horizon (on a flat road) and can still see the back tire of the Ex.
Yes, it's great to see the tire on the road and still have visibility without any blind spots.

Nice work on the switch, I think you found the right place.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:52 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
I've been thinking of doing these for a while. I was thinking of mounting the mirror switch somewhere out of the way as I'm not anxious to make holes in the door panels, etc.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:12 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru

I love mine!

Old 08-20-2016, 08:37 AM
cameeks
Posting Guru
...This set from 1A Auto, the power fold/heated/power adjust/signal mirrors, part number 1AMRP01614.
I couldn't find that part number on their site. Does it come with the switch and wiring?

Old 08-20-2016, 10:23 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
They come with everything. You're best bet is to order over the phone to make 100% they're in stock. Past members have ordered online to find out they were backordered

Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 PM
citrus3000psi
New User
Old 01-18-2017, 11:44 AM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Follow up...so a week or so ago a friend at work comes up to my truck and says I have something up with my mirror lights. I had been telling him how easy the mirror swap was and he noticed that the driver side running light was on but the passenger side turn light was on - and I had the headlight switch in the off position...only the mirror heater was on.

I did some testing (lights on/off, turn signal on/off, mirror heater on/off, power fold in/out) and IMO I could only put it to some wiring chafing inside the mirror housing somewhere. The prior mirrors (the tow mirrors with the tiny blind spot mirror and LED marker/turns with heat) worked flawlessly so I know the wiring is right...the only thing I could think was that somewhere near the hinge the wiring must be chafing inside the mirror.

Notified 1A Auto via a message in the forum...got an email back same day and a call the next day. Finally returned their call (we've had a bit of a rain issue here in Northern CA last week) and talked to a tech over the phone.

He tells me that they are still under warranty but they aren't carrying the brand they sold me anymore - that they now sell a brand called "Trail Ridge". Zero hassles on the swap, although they do want the old mirrors back so I'll have to pay shipping on the return.

I'll report on the new mirrors after the swap. You won't find them if you search for the 2000/2001 model year, you'll need to search for 2002 or newer. Part number for the power fold, power upper glass, heated, extending, turn/marker set is TRMRP00020.

https://www.1aauto.com/ford-mirror-p...0/i/trmrp00020

Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
thanks for this!
"IF" somebody happens to side-swipe my mirrors I'll be able to justify re-upgrading
I have been pondering putting my current '08+ on my F350 for plowing.. and getting this for my Ex..

but, right now, can't swing that either.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
thanks for this!
"IF" somebody happens to side-swipe my mirrors I'll be able to justify re-upgrading
I have been pondering putting my current '08+ on my F350 for plowing.. and getting this for my Ex..

but, right now, can't swing that either.
Steve, what ya plowing in Orlando?
Are you taking the Ex to CO?

Old 01-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Notified 1A Auto via a message in the forum...got an email back same day and a call the next day.
Appreciate the update.

Please let us know how the replacements compare to the ones replaced.

Stewart

Old 01-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Steve, what ya plowing in Orlando?
Are you taking the Ex to CO?
Have a fleet of Ford's in Colorado (F250 and F350 - see sig).
The Excursion and Wife's Explorer (4wd already) will be moving this spring/summer to CO.
My FALL/Winter project is to swap the F250's 4x4 suspension into my Excursion.
This was from Nov 29th when we last visited.

Name:  2016_nov_nw.JPG
Views: 1728
Size:  3.93 MB

Old 01-21-2017, 04:54 PM
jeremiah77
Junior User
I'm having the exact same issue. Glad I'm not the only one.

Follow up...so a week or so ago a friend at work comes up to my truck and says I have something up with my mirror lights. I had been telling him how easy the mirror swap was and he noticed that the driver side running light was on but the passenger side turn light was on - and I had the headlight switch in the off position...only the mirror heater was on.

I did some testing (lights on/off, turn signal on/off, mirror heater on/off, power fold in/out) and IMO I could only put it to some wiring chafing inside the mirror housing somewhere. The prior mirrors (the tow mirrors with the tiny blind spot mirror and LED marker/turns with heat) worked flawlessly so I know the wiring is right...the only thing I could think was that somewhere near the hinge the wiring must be chafing inside the mirror.

Quick Reply: Power Fold Mirrors