Making sure receiver hitch is straight.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:59 AM
Blackbeltdually
Cross-Country

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Making sure receiver hitch is straight.

Greetings,
While camping recently I was backing into the parking spot available and didn't see the rock on the hillside I was backing up to. I hit it, but I didn't think that hard. Now I see that my travel trailer tires are cupping on the inside and outside of the tires, depending on what side of the trailer you are on. As I have been towing, I kept thinking something was off, but couldn't pin it down until now. Evidently I did hit that rock hard enough to knock the receiver hitch off center.
1. How do I make sure the receiver hitch itself is not bent?
2. How do I make sure the receiver hitch is properly centered on the truck?

As I look underneath, it is clear that the bugger was shifted. Already have Liquid Wrench sprayed on bolts to ease getting them loose. I suspect that the hitch is not bent because it looks like the shift of the hitch is equal on both sides. Your thoughts are deeply appreciated.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:28 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Cupping is usually caused by a bad suspension, like worn shocks.

As for that stock receiver - it's a wimpy piece of hardware. Mine got smucked a little harder than yours, and I have seen similar damage from those who have tried to tow more than the rated capacity.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:38 AM
Blackbeltdually
Cross-Country

Thanks Tugly, I am pretty sure my cupping is being caused by the receiver hitch now out of line. The tires are a few years old and have shown no such wear until this last outing and pulling a trailer slightly canted will do the trick too. I do use a Hensley hitch which is why the cant was not really noticed and yet it didn't feel right. I should have known something was amiss when I had trouble hooking up, which has never happened before with the Hensley. My hitch is definitely not as knocked up as yours. But I do want to make sure it is straight and square and remounted properly. I also understand there is a heavier duty hitch out there and we are thinking of updating the trailer in the next few years. Maybe a good excuse to update the hitch. Thanks for your input.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts
I can't see the hitch location making any difference to the trailer, it's just a ball pulling in a particular direction. I could see it having an effect on the tow vehicle if it was way off centre as it would try to pull towards the centre of the truck. I agree with Rich that something may be amiss on the trailer.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:23 PM
Blackbeltdually
Cross-Country

Thanks Shovelheadrob for your thoughts. I mentioned that I tow with a Hensley Arrow hitch. It is not a ball but a mechanical hitch designed to make the trailer tow like a fifth wheel. Great hitch, but it is a 2 inch bar that goes into the Hensley, maybe about eight inches or so. As I studied the hitch, it is clear that my Hensley bar is canted at about 3 or maybe 5 degrees. That would cause the trailer to tow slightly sideways. I now have worked on getting the hitch straight. Have recentered it on the truck and took out the cant but just by eye-balling it. We will see how she does now.
On the other hand, while under there and working on the receiver I noticed that though it is an OEM Ford hitch, it was heavier duty. The sticker said it is rated for 12,500 lbs. and a hitch weight of 1250. Since it is kind of at the end of my towing season, I have all winter to work on it and contemplate things.
Oh, the bolts on top were in some sort of metal squares with carriage bolt holes. Please don't tell me that those are supposed to be welded down because these, all eight of them, were loose. I'll keep you posted if anything else is brought to light.
And if any of you tow with a regular travel trailer over 28 foot, I would highly recommend the Hensley Arrow hitch. They are a bit pricey, but a product the company stands by. It will go on my next rig, no problem. It is actually rated to handle 14,000 lbs and 1400 hitch weight. It has as a part of its mechanics, load levelers and is a dream to pull with.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Blackbeltdually
Cross-Country

Just an update. Today I took the trailer for a ride. That "feeling something wasn't right" was gone and each time I was able to stop in straight line, the hitch was clearly stopping in a straight position. I think my problem is solved. I am so glad. Didn't want to buy a new receiver. Didn't want to think of problem with the Hensley although I may contact Hensley and see if my theorem on what was happening can stand their expertise.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:29 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
An off center hitch will cause extra tire wear.
When off center to the passenger side, the trailer tires will wear on the drivers side or if off center to the drivers side, the extra wear will be to the passenger side.

Most of the wear would be stop & go traffic or lots of uphill pulling.