1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

my 66 f100, Ontario Canada

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 08:36 PM
knucklecars
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After swapping the explorer rear I am installing the crown Vic rear....removing all brackets that are not required...hopefully it fitss my rims MUCH better....pictures will be added as I make progress

Old 09-05-2016, 08:42 PM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Best of luck with that. Some people say it won't fit but I've seen one that fits like a glove. Looking forward to the photos as I intend to do the same.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:07 AM
knucklecars
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6t6merc
Best of luck with that. Some people say it won't fit but I've seen one that fits like a glove. Looking forward to the photos as I intend to do the same.
Well I am using Mustang bullit rims....almost .almost a 6 inch offset....I ha physically measured everything and it works out perfect...so I agree that if you are using normal rims with a4.5 or so offset then it will be to wide.....and since I am using a CV front suspension it works out...I will b installing today a report back!

Old 09-06-2016, 07:08 AM
knucklecars
Senior User
Replying on my phone sucks lol

Old 09-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Koomz
Freshman User
Cant wait to see the rear end verdict

Old 09-07-2016, 10:58 AM
knucklecars
Senior User
Well.......Verdict still out
I mounted the rear end from the 2010 CV.....I added perches to the bottom and then flipped the axle on springs lowering in about 6.25 inches....not bad
The overall width with the mustang wheels is... 75.5 inches which is pretty wide
My box is NOT on the truck so I couldn't see the Clarence but I did measure the box and its about 77 inches in the wheel areas .....will be tight, might have to roll the lip on the box but I believe it will work.
To be honest I should have grabbed the rear from the 02 CV which is 3 inches narrower .
The rear is just temporarily installed and brackets etc still need ground off....the good news is the sway bar is perfect width to be able to use it.......
It will be about a month before I can get around to trial fitting the box.....stay tuned

Old 09-07-2016, 11:07 AM
knucklecars
Senior User
Old 09-07-2016, 11:09 AM
knucklecars
Senior User
Old 09-07-2016, 11:10 AM
knucklecars
Senior User
Old 09-07-2016, 11:15 AM
Koomz
Freshman User
so how much difference is there from the 8.8 exploder to the 03 narrower cv rear? the 8.8 just was too narrow for you?

Old 09-07-2016, 01:42 PM
6t6merc
Cargo Master
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Looking good Knuck, keep it up.
Eric

Old 09-07-2016, 01:55 PM
l_reason
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm new hear, I've been reading quite a bit just getting familiar with these old things. I see a couple of Canadians are working hard on their f100's, if you don't mind I'll join in. I recently bought a 66 f100 short box flare side. It's more or less stock mechanically and in nice shape according to the pictures. Truth is I haven't seen it in person yet just a bunch of pictures and the kijiji add. I bought it from a guy in three rivers PQ and won't get to see it until October when I return to Canada from Europe. Anyway I'm going to be doing a few things to my truck when I get home to Barrie. On my to do list is an engine swap, CV front end and probably a CV rear. I'll start my own thread once I get going but I want to ask a few questions about your CV swap before I get going on mine. Great work so far, you are making quick progress.

What is the width difference between a -02 and 03+ CV rear? Do they have disks and trac-loc

If you happen to find another set of the same 04+ mustang wheels please get in touch $$.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:41 PM
knucklecars
Senior User
Originally Posted by l_reason
I'm new hear, I've been reading quite a bit just getting familiar with these old things. I see a couple of Canadians are working hard on their f100's, if you don't mind I'll join in. I recently bought a 66 f100 short box flare side. It's more or less stock mechanically and in nice shape according to the pictures. Truth is I haven't seen it in person yet just a bunch of pictures and the kijiji add. I bought it from a guy in three rivers PQ and won't get to see it until October when I return to Canada from Europe. Anyway I'm going to be doing a few things to my truck when I get home to Barrie. On my to do list is an engine swap, CV front end and probably a CV rear. I'll start my own thread once I get going but I want to ask a few questions about your CV swap before I get going on mine. Great work so far, you are making quick progress.

What is the width difference between a -02 and 03+ CV rear? Do they have disks and trac-loc

If you happen to find another set of the same 04+ mustang wheels please get in touch $$.
Welcome!....My Uncle lives in Barrie...and of course the Barrie swap meet
Call me Steve

hope this helps

Crown Vic 8.8 2003 + = 65.6".....has disc brakes, SOME have traction lock, most do not...common in police cars, but probably have highway gears most common is 3:08

Crown Vic 8.8 1982-2002 = 62.8” wide Has disc Brakes again some may have traction lock

F-100/150 9" 1972-1979 = 61.25”

Explorer 8.8" = 59.5"

The whole thing is you need to match the axle to the rims you are using.....not many choices when doing the CV front suspension swap....you need rims with a large offset or wont fit under fenders....one would think if you use the CV front than a CV rear is a natural choice.....again if using 8 or 9 inch rims ok.....10 inch may be to wide
the explorer rear was 6 inches to narrow with my 9 inch wheels......its trial and error and I am in the trial stage lol..

Funny I had two sets of 18 inch wheels.....sold a set not to long ago....they are on kijiji often as they are very popular, I got mine cheap.....and they are between 600 to 800 commonly ....but I will keep my eyes open

Old 09-07-2016, 09:50 PM
knucklecars
Senior User
Originally Posted by Koomz
so how much difference is there from the 8.8 exploder to the 03 narrower cv rear? the 8.8 just was too narrow for you?

see my other reply.....explorer rear was best drop in swap hands down!,., however to narrow...way to narrow
All the CV rears are 8.8 also.......
however...if you are handy
There are a number of threads about narrowing the Explorer rear end by replacing the 'long side' tube and axel with a 'short side' tube and axel. This makes it 3" narrower.
So what if we reverse this thinking by replacing the 'short side' tube and axel with the 'long side' tube and axel? That would widen it by 3" making it 62.5" wide which is only 1.25" wider than the stock 9" rear end. Apparently these tubes are not welded in.

I considered this.....you need two rear ends....
I opted not to do this as with my rims still would have been 3 inches to narrow....but with Diff rims and spacers it would be good

Old 09-07-2016, 09:56 PM
knucklecars
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6t6merc
Looking good Knuck, keep it up.
Eric
Thanks.....once I get all the right parts figured out and geometry correct I will grind / blast and paint it all

If you really want to read a frustrating topic....google engine and pinion angles...SO MANY opinions on how to set it up lol.....

Quick Reply: my 66 f100, Ontario Canada