1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

'93 E150 rear differential fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:45 PM
cohomology
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot, no I did not really drive the van. Only let it idle there to normal operating temprature. I am afraid that the oil in the axle did not get a chance to drain properly?

Accoring to http://www.ringpinion.com/DiffTypes.aspx, I do have the ford 8.8 rear end.

Originally Posted by den25
cohomology,
2 qt seems kind of low. According to Amsoil 1993 model year fill capacity for the axle, even Ford Axle takes 5.5 pint or 2.75 qts, and others should take more.

Differential, Dana 70-2U Rear..........6.6 pints [2]
Differential, Dana 70 HD Rear..........7.4 pints [2]
Differential, Dana 80 Rear..........8.2 pints [2]
Differential, Dana M60-IU Rear..........6.3 pints [2]
Differential, Ford 8.8 or 9 RingGear Rear..........5.5 pints [2]
Differential, With 10.25 RingGear Rear..........7.4 pints [2]
[2] Fill to no more than 1/4 to 9/16 inch below fill plug hole.

By the way, if you have semi-floating Ford axle, then lubrication / cooling of wheel bearings is done by the diff oil; means the oil should be able to reach bearings at the left and right tips of the axle in a first place; affecting the fill capacity.

Do you recall how much was drained? Did you warm up the axle (by driving) before draining diff oil?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 PM
den25
Junior User
if the axle was not level during draining, perhaps it is possible some oil was sitting in one side of axle housing?

Here is difference between semi-floating and full floating axles explained:
https://www.ringpinion.com/Content/B...Full-Float.pdf

If your axle does not have the 'inboard oil seal', then the bearing is lubricated by diff oil. I am not sure the year Ford changed from grease-packed rear bearings to oil lubricated (my 2000 E150 has oil lubricated bearings for sure, i was rebuilding the exle myself and saw that firsthand)

There is interesting thread discussing how to 'drive circles' on the parking lot so oil would get to axle tubes and bearings, but also of importance of pre-packing bearings with grease if they were replaced. All related to the matter of how much oil needs to be in an axle ... One guy also mentioned they jack the vehicle to one side then another after axle oil change.
Should I pack rear wheel bearings? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

In your case, i would at least drive the van around thru some grades to make sure the oil is slashing around in the axle, then check the color (in case new oil is mixed with some amount of old oil) and level of the axle oil again.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Heat, noise, vibration, abrupt lack of motion.
If you can't squirt anymore in there then it's full. You are overthinking it. Unless it is parked on a hill.
^ that's funny right there!

"Abrupt lack of motion" I love it !

Old 08-23-2016, 09:27 AM
cohomology
Freshman User
Thank you for the insight. Sounds like another weekend project down the road!

Originally Posted by den25
if the axle was not level during draining, perhaps it is possible some oil was sitting in one side of axle housing?

Here is difference between semi-floating and full floating axles explained:
https://www.ringpinion.com/Content/B...Full-Float.pdf

If your axle does not have the 'inboard oil seal', then the bearing is lubricated by diff oil. I am not sure the year Ford changed from grease-packed rear bearings to oil lubricated (my 2000 E150 has oil lubricated bearings for sure, i was rebuilding the exle myself and saw that firsthand)

There is interesting thread discussing how to 'drive circles' on the parking lot so oil would get to axle tubes and bearings, but also of importance of pre-packing bearings with grease if they were replaced. All related to the matter of how much oil needs to be in an axle ... One guy also mentioned they jack the vehicle to one side then another after axle oil change.
Should I pack rear wheel bearings? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

In your case, i would at least drive the van around thru some grades to make sure the oil is slashing around in the axle, then check the color (in case new oil is mixed with some amount of old oil) and level of the axle oil again.