1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

OBS Supercab Backseat Storage Idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 04:37 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OBS Supercab Backseat Storage Idea

I thought I’d share this cheap, easy to make and functional storage idea for you guys with a Supercab who never have passengers in the back seat. I’m very happy with the way this turned out. After taking the fold down rear jump seats out of the truck before taking it to the body shop to fix the rear end damage from the drunk who hit me in May, I started thinking I could improve on luggage space back there and have some hidden storage by making a false floor. Nobody ever sits back there. I originally thought I’d just leave it alone but the rear half of it is sloped and you really can’t store anything without it sliding forward. When I go on trips I usually take 2 48/53qt coolers behind the passenger seat and I need a flat floor for that. Other stuff usually fills the rest of the space. All the space is also used for trips to the gun range. I can also hide stuff under the floor. For $24 I bought what I needed from Home Depot and spent about 5 hours building this false floor. I used ½” OSB (oriented strand board) and 1 2X4 for the front supports under the board. 4ft of 6ft wide Home Depot Elevations ocean blue carpet was only $9. I used 18 drywall screws and a bunch of 3/8”staples to put it all together.

The rough shape for the platform was 66” X 30.” With cutouts for the side storage pockets, middle seat and Tuffy storage box, I cut it down to as big as I could and still be able to take it in and out of the truck from either side. Passenger seat still goes all the way back. The rifle case is 40” and holds my lever rifle or an AR w/o mag. I could easily hide 2 or 3 cased long guns under there or more than that if they are uncased. The Tuffy is for handguns but a bunch would fit under the floor also. The platform is about 3” lower than the top of the jump seats when they are folded down, so I gained that much more storage height.Weight is 31 lb – easy to manage taking in and out. I don’t think it’ll move at all but if it does I’ll bolt it down using the rear seat belt holes.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:28 PM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Looks really good!

Old 08-17-2016, 07:16 PM
ZachH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice! that's a really neat idea.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:57 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 874 Likes on 665 Posts
Nice interior mod. Good plan and execution

Old 08-19-2016, 06:00 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks guys. I'm really happy the way it turned out. A big increase in convenience with only a little cash and time invested.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:31 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice OEM look. We have the full seat, with the riser brackets, in our SuperCab truck, and it's actually usable (and makes a flat floor when you fold it). But we know a couple with a '91 gasser with the jump seats, and yeah, they're worse than useless (unless maybe you have two small dogs....). That ^^^^ is much smarter.

Dang, those coolers fit front-to-back; you could fit several across if you wanted. Nice.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:00 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
I didn't know there was more than one rear seat option in the SC cab. I called it a jump seat for lack of a better term. They also fold flat and are the width of the cab but the cushions aren't near as big/deep as a regular seat. The top of the seatback cushion is no higher than the bottom of the rear window. I did get 3 adults back there once. There is room but it would never work on a long trip.

Old 08-20-2016, 01:11 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, the original SCs had flip-down sideways facing jump seats on the ends of the cab. The couple I know with the '91 have two pre-teen kids, and they suck even for them.

So, curious, what's the piano-hinged metal box?

Hmm, I'd consider cutting off that "L" extension around the metal box, so you can whip out the fire extinguisher faster in an emergency.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 PM
powrstrkr
Fleet Mechanic
The metal box is a Tuffy storage box. It's bolted thru the floor. Most of the time it only has misc stuff in it but I got it for secure handgun storage if need be. I also lock up cameras, GPS and other valuables if I need to. I have a bigger one in the Bronco that serves as a console between the front seats.

I don't think I'll have any issues getting the fire ext out. When I got rear ended in Berkeley in May, it was on top of the fold down seat near the storage pooka and it barely took me a second to get it out. When I pack for the shooting range, the little extension will support an ammo box. I'll "test" it first time later this week and if it doesn't work as I hope it will I'll cut it off.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:37 PM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Good idea. I finally got around to taking out the unused back seat today. Not sure I'll do as good a job on the false floor as you did but already I have a lot more space. I have one of those Australian 12V refrigerators I'm going to put back there. Need to add a couple of extra 12V outlets. Thanks for the ideas!