1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Thinking of getting a Ranger, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 12:43 AM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Thinking of getting a Ranger, what to look for?

Hey all. My dad has been talking about wanting a little pickup for Home Depot runs, chores, etc. I'm going to surprise him and buy one for him. I'm looking to keep it at around $4000. The only thing I've heard him mention is that he wants an extended cab. I'm looking at '90's-early '00's with my price limit. So, what things should I look out for? I'm in Southern California, so rust isn't an issue, my main concerns will be mechanical. I'm finding trucks with between 150-225k. Any weak spots to really check while looking at these? Thanks for any help and advice

Old 08-17-2016, 12:42 PM
02FX4Dude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 46fordtruck
Hey all. My dad has been talking about wanting a little pickup for Home Depot runs, chores, etc. I'm going to surprise him and buy one for him. I'm looking to keep it at around $4000. The only thing I've heard him mention is that he wants an extended cab. I'm looking at '90's-early '00's with my price limit. So, what things should I look out for? I'm in Southern California, so rust isn't an issue, my main concerns will be mechanical. I'm finding trucks with between 150-225k. Any weak spots to really check while looking at these? Thanks for any help and advice
Speaking from my 2002:

Check rear spring shackles, they're know to be weak and collapse but that's usually a rust/corrosion thing.

4.0 SOHC up to 2002 (2003 depending who you talk to) had timing chain tensioner problems.

2002 FX4 Torsen rear diff know to grenade.

If auto transmission, the 5R55E had some TSB's to cover delayed shifting and RPM flaring, there's an epic mega-thread discussing that.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:50 PM
spooktn
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My main concern would be how well maintained the truck was,,,oil changes and such,,and parts like sensors and filters. The mid and late 90's 3.0L had a problem with the Camshaft scyhronizer not oiling properly,,, they are not that expensive and not to hard to replace... The bushing not getting oiled well would cause the part to fail after so many miles.. Depending on the miles and how well maintained you can bet on replacing a few filters,, sensors and other odd and ends. I have a 99 with the 3.0L with the extended cab and love the extra room it gives a great place for jumper cables and what have you to be stored.. Good gas mileage and after some needed maintence it is very dependable so far.The 3.0L is not a speed demon but gets the job done,,, never had a 4.0L but supposed to have a few more horses.. Hope that answers a few of your questions

Old 08-17-2016, 12:55 PM
46fordtruck
All of this helps. I think I'm going to focus on '98 and newer. I've been finding a lot of extended cabs, most with manual trannys, which is okay. One question, regarding engines, did an extended cab get a V6, or was the 4 also in them? I'd rather get a V6 than the 4. While it will be for his use, I'll also be using it now and then. Did the extended cab ever have a rear door that opened?

Old 08-17-2016, 02:01 PM
spooktn
Temporarily Deactivated
I have never saw a extended cab 4 banger,,, not sure if they ever built one that way,,, as far as the 3 rd door goes yes they have then but not sure in what year or years they were made,, a couple of pic's here if I can copy and paste them.....

Old 08-18-2016, 05:52 PM
46fordtruck
Seems the extended cab with the door is mixed, some have, some don't, and I've seen the mix on all the years. Maybe it's an option? Can't say I know a whole lot about the Rangers, F150 yes, Ranger no.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:29 PM
46fordtruck
How close are the Mazdas? Is it basically just different sheetmetal with the same running gear?

Old 08-19-2016, 05:33 PM
spooktn
Temporarily Deactivated
They are the same truck just badged different,,, they have same frame doors engines and well everything is same except the name,,, same with Ford Mustang and Mercury Carpi ,I could pull my 1985 Carpi beside a Mustang and hide the badge and you could not tell them apart,,, again same everything but name !

Old 08-19-2016, 05:33 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
The Mazda B3000/4000 is the exact same truck with a slightly different front clip.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:01 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
If four wheel drive, look for a later model. The 99-01 (?) had the vacuum hubs and they were junk. I think '02+ went to the Explorer setup where the front shafts were connected permanently and those are great.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:26 PM
fletchb
Freshman User
All of this helps. I think I'm going to focus on '98 and newer. I've been finding a lot of extended cabs, most with manual trannys, which is okay. One question, regarding engines, did an extended cab get a V6, or was the 4 also in them? I'd rather get a V6 than the 4. While it will be for his use, I'll also be using it now and then. Did the extended cab ever have a rear door that opened?
I don't know about the year range you are looking at but I can tell you I ended going with a Reg cab, in part because I could not find an extended cab with a 6. All the clean-later model Rangers ('10+'11) I looked at had 4 cylinder engines and I was worried the extra weight might be a bit taxing. I should have test drove one as my '11 I4 Reg cab turned out to be a lot quicker truck than I expected, but that is what I found when I was shopping a few months back.

Good luck.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:07 AM
46fordtruck
Originally Posted by fletchb
I don't know about the year range you are looking at but I can tell you I ended going with a Reg cab, in part because I could not find an extended cab with a 6. All the clean-later model Rangers ('10+'11) I looked at had 4 cylinder engines and I was worried the extra weight might be a bit taxing. I should have test drove one as my '11 I4 Reg cab turned out to be a lot quicker truck than I expected, but that is what I found when I was shopping a few months back.

Good luck.
Looking at '98 and up. My budget is going to be around $4500. The extended cab will be for the little extra storage space. Most trips he uses it for will have my mom with him, so some space behind the seats will be for groceries, cargo, etc. And going with 4 wheel looks like the 6 is the only option.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:51 PM
NDL
Junior User
I don't know of many problems with the Ranger (thus the lack of problems posted on this thread).

The 5 speed manual gearbox is a Mazda transmission. At the top of the gearbox, are three rubber plugs that shrink and crack over time, which leads to a lack of oil in the gearbox.

The rubber plugs aren't expensive to replace, nor are does the job require any serious skill, time, or effort.

That's the only thing I can think of...

I have a 2.5L powered 2001 Ranger, with 190k. Knock on wood, it is all original, save the rear differential, battery, and tires. Uses 1.5 quarts between oil changes (every 3.5k).

The 2.3L engine has a timing chain that requires no maintenance; the 2.5L has a belt. The tensioner spring can sometimes go; mine went at 80k, and I am told it sometimes happens.

Love this truck. Only complaint is that I wish it had more legroom...

Old 08-31-2016, 04:42 PM
fletchb
Freshman User
Looking at '98 and up. My budget is going to be around $4500. The extended cab will be for the little extra storage space. Most trips he uses it for will have my mom with him, so some space behind the seats will be for groceries, cargo, etc. And going with 4 wheel looks like the 6 is the only option.
If you go with the older one's I am sure a 6 will not be hard to get. And even so, a 4 might be fine, just test drive one and make sure if you go that route.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:00 AM
98 Thunderbolt
Freshman User
Post >>>>

I had a 87 Supercab with 2.3L. 2.5L Lima motors had quite a few issues, I've had 98 & 2000 with 3.0L's with no issues.

4 dr. Supercabs weren't available till 99 or 00, as I had a 98 that didn't have back doors.

83-97 are a twin I beam type setup, 98up non-Edge 2 wd are upper & lower control arms, 2wd Edge & all 4x4's are torsion bar setups.

Hope this helps ya out with your purchase.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a Ranger, what to look for?