6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 HPOP/Oil system upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:04 AM
maw8511
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.0 HPOP/Oil system upgrade

Use this site for lots of info but new to posting so forgive me if this shows up again as a new post as I thought I was posting and what I entered probably showed up somewhere as I did get a reply. My early '04 has 201K on it and the issue I have is as a daily driver it runs just super, however when I tow my 24ft RV that comes in at about 4700lbs, if it is hot outside, ie: 95-100 degrees( I live in Florida) when I tow 2 or 3 hours and then get off the e-way for fuel, my truck stumbles and last time it died. Long story short, after having it towed to reliable diesel repair shop, truck sat overnite and next day and since then, starts up right away, no slow start and runs super, cold or hot, but again not towning or going any long distance let say on the e-way. Research and some response on this site indicates probably IPR, it and HPOP are original, my decision is to go in and replace HPOP, IPR, ICP checks out good and was replace a few years ago at Ford, as all the other "parts" are original OEM and again I am at 201K, I figure might as well replace at this time to avoid future headaches to a point. I did watch a video put out by Bill Hewitt on his you tube website that address's the specific issues I have. He recommends not only the HPOP and IPR, but also the oil system stand pipes and some other part that has a steel braided line but does not say what that part is and I cannot find it on line when searching oil related parts . I have had all the other 6.0 problems and those were all replaced 3 or 4 years ago with aftermarket or upgraded OEM, FICM,oil cooler, HPFP with Blue spring upgrade etc. Only mod done to truck has been a 4'in exhaust turbo back. I do use a scanguage to monitor temps and FICM and I am going to put in IPR to check values, but again,201K, I think is time anyways regardless of what shows up. Any comments appreciated and again, what the name is of the steel braided oil lines that comes off the stand pipe I don't mind putting some money into this truck as when it works right it is a super truck, I'm an old retired Marine so gotta pay attention to the $$ and the new ones are way outta reach now. Thanx!!

Old 08-14-2016, 11:59 AM
ToolmakerRob
Laughing Gas
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
Hi,
Is your scangauge setup to monitor the ICP,SYN, IPR and FICM voltage? Those four things are critical to the 6.0 starting. Can you post these for us to see before spending a bunch of money? It is a catch 22- replace all the parts for long distance reliability or try and do only what is necessary.
When I did the head gaskets on my 6.0 Ex at 185 K I also replaced the standpipes and dummy pipes as they were already in my hands being removed. I didn't do the HPOP and I got two additional years till it quit one night at mileage 220 K.

Rob

Old 08-14-2016, 02:04 PM
maw8511
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HPOP Replacement

Ron, yes I do with the exception of IPR which I plan on programing in. My point is at 201k, and I am going to be paying the labor anyways to be in there, might as well do what has to be done,minimum HPOP and IPR, ICP was replaced a few years ago and I do monitor it with scanguage, FICM also, good at 48volts consistent. My concern again is what is the name of the braided steel line part that connects to oil tube and then to oil rail (?) Bill Hewitt,PSDHelp.Com had YouTube video I think from Feb of this year's that addressed high milage 03-early 04 6.0 oil issues and it made sense, just would like to look parts up on line to avoid sticker schock, I think he quoted about 1200 bucks with his mark up, not including labor. I know for the oil tubes and this braided line part, the valve covers have to come, vice just the manifold. I also have read on some other sites that the early HPOP were a part designed to be replaced at some point due to ware/failure. Thanx for input.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:39 AM
FLO98
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went through a similar situation with my 03 excursion. I went with the dieselsite adrenaline hpop and a very good selection of other parts, I purchased all my upgrade stuff through ficmrepair.com, Ed is a fantastic guy, knowledgeable and willing to talk through any issues you might run into. If you can financially go for the adrenaline pump (not sure what year you have and that can be a determining factor as to if they exist). Best of luck!

Old 08-16-2016, 05:37 AM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
Oil Rail Feed Hose

I just started looking at this kit as well:

Early High Pressure seal kit

Old 08-16-2016, 03:01 PM
FLO98
Senior User
I ordered the same kit from the same place, found out later that ficmrepair.com has all that stuff too. In order to minimize overall shipping costs I would call Ed and see what he can do for you. Plus he's a supporting vendor of these forums. Plenty knowledgeable and more than willing to talk and share his knowledge.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:21 PM
FICMrepair.com
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the kudos, Flo! Yup. Give us a shout and we'll take great care of you - mostly being sure that you're NOT spending money on things that you just don't need while making sure you are getting a solid deal on things that you do!

Old 08-16-2016, 05:40 PM
2wdDezlX
Elder User
So you replaced all the orings and washers in the kit for the early oil system? How did it go and did you have any symptoms or just preventative maintenance?

Old 08-16-2016, 11:22 PM
FLO98
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2wdDezlX
So you replaced all the orings and washers in the kit for the early oil system? How did it go and did you have any symptoms or just preventative maintenance?
I did replace all the orings and new stand pipes, I did have a high pressure leak, I also resealed the injectors and replaced the nipple cups along with the adrenaline pump. Mileage is up about 1-1.5 mpg's. Haven't gotten any long trip numbers but better than it was. I did not replace the flex lines, just new o rings in them.