1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 f350 crazy electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:38 PM
hdolyak
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 f350 crazy electrical problem

I'm going to start this off by saying I HATE electrical work and problems.

Today I went to fire up my truck and take it to work like I usually do but this morning I got a surprise (besides my seats being wet from forgetting to roll up my windows) I tried to turn the key as I normally would and waited for the wait to start but when I turned it farther to get it to click.... Nothing... before you say batteries much like I was thinking I just put two new motorcrafts in it this year. as i tried the tumbler some more sometimes the lights on the dash would come on sometimes they wouldn't. the chimer only works sometimes and other times is freaks out beeping very fast but it will stop for a second if you hit somethings else electrical like the power seat. If you let it sit for a while with the hazards on sometimes they'll start blinking.
to save a long story though ill list off the things i've tried so far

- grounded batteries with a thick copper wire
- disconnected batteries for 30+ minutes
-Cleaned terminals on batteries
- Charged the batteries with my fathers f350
- Cleaned and dielectric grease all the major connections by the drivers side wheel well also the main hardness on the valve cover.
- blew out out ecm
- Changed the tumbler with my father and tried cleaning mine.
- Tried starting by wiggling the shift lever and also from neutral

could the GEM module or interior fuse pannel and connected components be part of the problem since it sounds like the door chimer is freaking out in there.
Im working on getting videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3e7...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-10-2016, 09:07 PM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was it a blowing rain? Did more of the truck interior get wet besides just the seats? Or you could also have a leak around your windshield that runs down behind your dashboard?

Other folks have had totally whacked out electrical gremlins in your year truck when the GEM module and fuse box that's mounted against the firewall got wet. It was usually the result of a leaky windshield.

I'll give you even money, that once the truck gets time to dry out well, your problems will go away.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:27 AM
hdolyak
New User
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob
Was it a blowing rain? Did more of the truck interior get wet besides just the seats? Or you could also have a leak around your windshield that runs down behind your dashboard?

Other folks have had totally whacked out electrical gremlins in your year truck when the GEM module and fuse box that's mounted against the firewall got wet. It was usually the result of a leaky windshield.

I'll give you even money, that once the truck gets time to dry out well, your problems will go away.
I wasn't awake so i'm not exactly sure how hard it rained but you're spot on with what I'm thinking. I've had other electrical issues in the past after a rain so I was able to roll up my windows after a few tries of playing with it. Its a black truck with tinted windows so it should get cookin in there on a sunny day and hopefully dry out whatever is wet.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:46 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hdolyak
. I've had other electrical issues in the past after a rain .
Hopefully drying out will resolve the problems. However...,

If this has happened before - I am betting your windshield is leaking somewhere around the sides or the bottom trim. Next time it rains (and hopefully your windows are closed ), check the carpet in the foot wells right at the firewall. If it's wet, have your windshield re-sealed. (In my case, I had to have the windshield professionally removed and reseated to stop the leaks on my old '01 F-350.)

If the under-dash fuse panel repeatedly gets wet, it will start corroding, and those intermittent electrical Gremlins will get worse and become permanent.
Then, the only way to fix it is by swapping in a new fuse box - which is an all-day job..., disconnecting and reconnecting all of those wires - and it literally is a pain-in-the-neck 'cause you'll be on your back, upside-down under the dash.

RWNJ

P.S. Welcome to the site!

Old 08-11-2016, 03:39 PM
hdolyak
New User

If this has happened before - I am betting your windshield is leaking somewhere around the sides or the bottom trim. Next time it rains (and hopefully your windows are closed ), check the carpet in the foot wells right at the firewall. If it's wet, have your windshield re-sealed. (In my case, I had to have the windshield professionally removed and reseated to stop the leaks on my old '01 F-350.)

If the under-dash fuse panel repeatedly gets wet, it will start corroding, and those intermittent electrical Gremlins will get worse and become permanent.
Then, the only way to fix it is by swapping in a new fuse box - which is an all-day job..., disconnecting and reconnecting all of those wires - and it literally is a pain-in-the-neck 'cause you'll be on your back, upside-down under the dash.

RWNJ

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like that was the problem, I woke up this morning and everything came on the battery light and water if fuel were still freaking out but I still had nothing when I turned the key all the way. Now when o get home from work I have no power to the key at all but my tuner has power until I turn the key

Old 08-11-2016, 03:45 PM
hdolyak
New User

RWNJ

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like that was the problem, I woke up this morning and everything came on the battery light and water if fuel were still freaking out but I still had nothing when I turned the key all the way. Now when o get home from work I have no power to the key at all but my tuner has power until I turn the key

Old 08-12-2016, 06:01 PM
hdolyak
New User
Update:
Pulled fuse block and gem separated the two and cleaned with air. not luck
disconnected the two battery grounds from the block and its still clicking in the fuse block also sometimes clicking the flasher relay.
top left connector seems to have .61 amps drawing with battery disconnected. its the 3rd wire down on the left side of the connector light green with a white stripe.