Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Looking for running IDIT to buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Nateberg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for running IDIT to buy

I'm needing a running IDIT. Mine took a crap and broke the crank. Anyone with one for sale hit me up please

Thanks
Nate

Old 08-10-2016, 07:15 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nateberg
I'm needing a running IDIT. Mine took a crap and broke the crank.
Pictures, please. I've never heard of that happening on an IDI motor before!

As far as you are concerned, if you can't find an IDIT motor, you should be able to just use a standard 7.3; your turbo components will bolt right up, and realistically, it's just fine motor wise. The only real changes to the IDIT blocks were in the connecting rod pin diameters... and that's not the weak point(the rods themselves will bend and break at the 450-ish WHP level).

Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 PM
Nateberg
New User
Well I haven't got it out of the truck yet. I bought the truck not running due to the DMF coming apart. Thinking that was the only big problem with the truck I only paid $1500 for it. Long story short. Didn't the SMF conversion, starter, batteries, injectors, oil change and a few other things. I got it to fire off and idle (very rough and shaking bad) the fan stopped turning. That's when I noticed the dampener had come apart and was sitting in the frame rail lol. So it's either the crank or a rod. But no metal shavings on the drain plug when I drained the oil.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:52 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Well I haven't got it out of the truck yet. I bought the truck not running due to the DMF coming apart. Thinking that was the only big problem with the truck I only paid $1500 for it. Long story short. Didn't the SMF conversion, starter, batteries, injectors, oil change and a few other things. I got it to fire off and idle (very rough and shaking bad) the fan stopped turning. That's when I noticed the dampener had come apart and was sitting in the frame rail lol. So it's either the crank or a rod. But no metal shavings on the drain plug when I drained the oil.
Why does having the dampener come off assume it's a crank or rod? I mean, the dampener is two pieces with rubber between them. If the whole thing came out, make sure it was actually bolted in in the first place(vs taking a chunk of crank with it).\

As far as idle vibrations go, remember that timing can massively affect this. And you replaced the injectors with new ones which are higher pressure than the (warn) old ones; this should result in retarded timing. Advancing the timing a bit might well clear up some of the issues.

Also, where did you get the injectors? Are they truly new(hard to come by these days) or "remanufactured" ones which were just cleaned up, with worn nozzles? Rebuilt injectors can easily be sketchy and unbalanced right from the get-go, and just get worse as time goes on.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:59 PM
Nateberg
New User
The injectors are matching batch number BWD from oreilys. The reason I changed them out was when I first started working on getting the engine running it had a loud knock inside the block, violent shake, would not idle, and was blowing back thru the intake on one cylinder. I was hoping it was just a couple stuck injectors. After priming the fuel system and got it to fire off right away it was holding a good idle but the knock was getting worse. That's when the collar on the dampener cracked and the bolt came out with it. Still idling the knock did not change.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Nateberg
New User
And by knock, it sounded like someone was swinging a sledge hammer against the block

Old 08-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
I'm thinking you still have a rebuildable core here, and it may not be as bad as it might seem. I can't tell you what's wrong, but you might well have some sticky lifters and/or valves here; I know that you can have pistons hitting valves if they stick(the exhaust valve to piston clearance gets as small as .030 at one point; it's pretty easy to get piston-to-valve contact).

I'd pull it and start disassembly; might well be able to check and replace the bearings, possibly rebuild the heads, maby rings, and have a plenty good engine.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:14 PM
Nateberg
New User
Is it possible to pull the heads easy with the engine in the truck?

Old 08-10-2016, 09:01 PM
John Clugston
Junior User
you can pull them hard but possible. probably be best to remove heater box. going to be easy 2k pistons alone on those idit are 6-800 if you can find them

Old 08-11-2016, 12:08 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The very first thing you should do is post a picture of what fell off ... That way folks can clearly diagnose without guessing all over the board!

I suspect that knock says it all, if it's a solid hard knock, it's likely got bigger problems.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 08-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
When my engine had that noise and blowback in the intake, it turned out to be an intake lifter that locked at the top of adjustment, holding the valve open. I found that after I pulled the heads and couldn't find a bad head gasket I just knew had to be there.
Pics required though-

Old 08-13-2016, 06:37 AM
Shawn MacAnanny
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a few weeks I will have both the idit motor in my signature for sale and a fully rebuilt and studded idi turbo for sale. I was side swiped by a dump truck on Thursday and they just came and declared my truck a total loss yesterday.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Nateberg
New User
BROKE IDI CRANK!

I'm needing a running IDIT. Mine took a crap and broke the crank. Anyone with one for sale hit me up please

Thanks
Nate

Old 01-19-2017, 06:28 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That's wild.