Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Factory build or off the lot purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:44 PM
6tbeast
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory build or off the lot purchase

Need some help here. Looking to purchase a new F-150 but having a lot of trouble finding exactly what I want. Should I order exactly what I want or just get something close off the lot. Budget IS important. I dont want to spend money on options I dont need, but I need the best possible deal.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:58 PM
Tow Matr
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I highly recommend that you order your truck. Go to the ford build site and you can build different variations. Experiment with options and packages. I ordered mine and got exactly what I wanted. The dealer tried to sell me one they had on the lot, but I'm glad I ordered it instead. The build site is still set for the 2016s, but you can get an idea of what you want.

I have a race red screw w/6.5 bed, sport special edition, 302a, 3.5 eco, 36 gal tank, max tow, navigation and tow mirrors. Out the door was $46,000. Probably could have done without a few of the options but have no regrets. Hope this is helpful. The 36 gal tank is a must have.

Here's a photo of mine.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:17 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Order it. I ordered after not finding exactly what I wanted and I'm very glad I did. Every morning I walk out and see my perfect truck and there isn't a single thing on that truck that I didn't want.

The instant satisfaction of driving a truck home today isn't worth it. It's a big purchase; make it perfect...

Old 08-08-2016, 10:39 PM
ezrdr54
Freshman User
I am also a proponent of a special order truck. Only drawback would be that you would not get the "instant gratification" of picking the truck up immediately.
I believe the end of production for 2016's has already taken place (or will very soon), so you may have to order a 2017. (aw darn!)
Wait times vary, mine took just about 8 weeks from order to delivery. Others on this forum have been much quicker, some have been much longer. Your dealer should have a good idea of how things work in your area.
You may not be able to take advantage of particular cashback or finance offers/lease programs either if current offers expire before your truck arrives. You will have to use the programs in place when you take delivery. (Usually they're very similar, sometimes better).

Took delivery of mine in June, got exactly what I wanted, left off some things I didn't want and haven't looked back! Spent a bunch of time on the "Build and Price" pages at ford.com in the process.

2016 F150, Ruby Red, Lariat 502a, 3.5L EB, 4x4, 157"WB (6.5' bed), Max TT, Twin Panel MR, Power Tow Mirrors, 36 gal. Fuel Tank, Nav., Tailgate Step and Bed Steps.

Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2016, 10:46 PM
6tbeast
New User
Are you still able to negotiate the price like you would with one on the lot, or is it just whatever it comes out to with the current rebates?

Old 08-08-2016, 11:10 PM
Tow Matr
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had actually negotiated the price on a truck the dealer was going to pickup from out of town. I decided it wasn't what I wanted and built one on line. Went in the next day and told them I wanted to order mine. They were not happy but we agreed on $47000 (w/ same incentives as first truck) out the door. I put down a deposit and locked the price with all incentives. Price on line went up slightly but price was locked in. Also another incentive was available and I got another $1000 off. I think I did alright. Got what I wanted.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Order it and get exactly what you want.

Josh

Old 08-09-2016, 06:39 AM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Order it. I know Ill have to order mine when I'm in the market.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:45 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I tend to think you can get a better deal on a truck that's on the lot.

I was looking for an XLT 302a 4x4 SuperCrew with the 3.5L engine, very similar to what Tow Matr got. I went between a few dealers looking for a deal, and ended up getting my truck for $33,500. I ended up with the 301a package instead of the 302a, but I paid about $5,000 less than what I found at other dealers.

It's all a preference thing, but I'd much prefer an imperfect set of equipment to save a few thousand dollars.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:09 AM
Jus Cruisin
Senior User
Right now dealer stock will get you the "better" deal because of incentives and all. Ordering will get you a 2017 with the price increase and no incentives. So you might end up with some extras for less money buying out of stock.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:57 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
While if youre sitting at the dealership ready to sign away they may be willing to actually lose money just to get you to sign, it will only be a few hundred bucks different. When you factor in the unlikelyhood of it being perfect, and the possibility of getting better rebates by the time the truck comes in from a factory order, if you have the patience, it's a no brainer. On commercial trucks I actually quote less money for a factory order, because I know I won't have to factor in lot expenses (interest is the big one). Retail units are a bit different, but still, you should be able to get a darn good deal. Of course if you're comparing a '16 leftover with a '17 order you'll see differences as well, then you have to also factor in any year to year improvements and their values, as well as depreciation differences.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:03 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Last time I was shopping for a new truck, I found some dealerships HATED factory orders, and thus chose not to negotiate on those. I cross-shopped four dealers within three hours of here, on both common on-the-lot configurations and factory order, and it was clear what they preferred. The smaller town dealerships near me seemed to beat out the big city ones in most cases, and were certainly a more pleasurable experience to deal with.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:09 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Order it. I always find a fleet guy to deal with... they don't get scared when you walk in with an order guide and a list of option codes and say "here, order this".

I've ordered every Ford I've ever driven (Expedition, F350, 2x F150, and now the wife's Explorer).

Old 08-09-2016, 10:44 AM
tomfiii
Senior User
I recommend if using a buying service go in and show your buying price and then sit down with their truck guy as buying service has problem with what you actually get on their option list.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:19 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I ordered a Mustang GT back in 1985 with lackluster results. Of course things have changed in 30 years. I was young and dumb and still owed money on my trade. The dealer did a pre-inspection of t he trade and gave me a ball park of where I would stand on trade in value. Of course the '85 GT's were tough to get and the order took 14 weeks to deliver. They low balled me bad on my trade so I walked away from the deal. They couldn't sell the car because I ordered it without a/c. No body won on this one.

Since then, I've played my cards pretty close and dealt with what was in front of me. I don't feel that I've had to pay for more than I wanted or left without something that I needed. But, since then, I've always managed to get one heck of a deal. Once burned..............

Quick Reply: Factory build or off the lot purchase