[help] Won't Start - ParkNeutral indication circuit

Old 08-08-2016, 04:13 PM
strokenboost
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[help] Won't Start - ParkNeutral indication circuit

I apologize to the moderators for a repeat post from the Expedition forum, but I thought this might get more attention here.

I'm in deep doo doo here...

So 2010 Expedition 78K miles... running great, and all the sudden the truck won't start, plenty of power. I was able to start it up by jumping the starter relay under the hood. Checked all fuses and relays... all good. Pulled codes and got this:

P1707: Transfer Case Neutral or ParkNeutral indication circuit

Battery and wrench indicator on the dash also.

SO... I can at least start it up and move it, no problem. But I have to get this fixed for the wife. The problem is I am seeing all these references to replacing the entire "transmission range sensor" up inside the transmission, on top of the valve bodies.

I've looked on fordparts.com and can't find a part number for my year Expedition. I found this part number searching some forums: AL3Z-7G276-B but all indications say this will not work on a 2010 Expedition with the 6R80.

Any suggestions? Has anyone run into this before? Maybe a quick easy fix?

Old 08-09-2016, 06:29 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't say I have ever seen this issue or the code for it. I would contact your local dealer and talk to the parts guy about that code and what part is needed, how much and is it a job you could do yourself.

Not much of an answer for you, but hopefully that will get you pointed in a direction with some info to try and solve it

Old 08-09-2016, 09:36 AM
strokenboost
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Pocketlint
Can't say I have ever seen this issue or the code for it. I would contact your local dealer and talk to the parts guy about that code and what part is needed, how much and is it a job you could do yourself.

Not much of an answer for you, but hopefully that will get you pointed in a direction with some info to try and solve it
Yeah, already did that... here's the problem, 2012 and up there is a part number for the "auto trans connector" on the 6R80 transmission. But prior to 2012, there is no part number listed, but you can see it in the parts diagram. I called 3 dealers and none of them could help me figure out what part I needed. I honestly think there is a mistake in the ford parts system.

So as far as the job, you have to drain the fluid, pull the pan, mechatronic assembly (valve body assembly) and there is a sealed digital electronic board on top of the valve bodies, the main harness for the transmission plugs into that from the outside. Book pays around 3.5 hours to do the job. I have the procedure. I think its do-able at home in garage with my full set of tools. The issue at this point is finding the part.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:25 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by strokenboost
Yeah, already did that... here's the problem, 2012 and up there is a part number for the "auto trans connector" on the 6R80 transmission. But prior to 2012, there is no part number listed, but you can see it in the parts diagram. I called 3 dealers and none of them could help me figure out what part I needed. I honestly think there is a mistake in the ford parts system.

So as far as the job, you have to drain the fluid, pull the pan, mechatronic assembly (valve body assembly) and there is a sealed digital electronic board on top of the valve bodies, the main harness for the transmission plugs into that from the outside. Book pays around 3.5 hours to do the job. I have the procedure. I think its do-able at home in garage with my full set of tools. The issue at this point is finding the part.
Wow that is odd that no dealer could help you with the part or information. I am a little awestruck at that. Hell if it is on the dang truck they have to know what it is, what it does etc you would think.

I wonder if you called Ford customer service and explained the issue and tell them what dealers you have talked to any no one can tell you what part this is for you to be able to buy and repair it. I am surprised one of the dealers didnt call the hotline fords mechanics use to get information. Surely you'd think they would know.

I know that's not a very good answer for you, but Ford built the thing they would have to know what part it is. I do agree with you on the fact there is a error in the system that it there is no part # listed for it.

I would try that and call some different dealers then the ones you have talked to and ask them specifically if they could contact Ford to find out why there is no part number. Maybe they might get a better response than you as this could be a part problem in the system they arent aware of

Wish I had better advice for ya

Old 08-19-2016, 08:55 AM
strokenboost
Cross-Country
Update:

So the transmission is fixed. The part cost me 800.00 bucks from Ford. When I picked it up parts said the TCM has to be flashed because there is no software on it. They wanted 150.00 to flash it. I figured out a way around that though. I had to give them the old one to get my core charge back, but before I brought the old one back I reinstalled it back in the truck so I could attempt to talk to it through the OBDII. I used my SCT programmer from my Super Duty, I un-married it from the Super Duty, and used it to load a tune onto to the Expedition knowing that by loading an SCT tune it would back up the factory tune.
Then I put the new TCM unit in and restored the Expedition back to stock using the SCT backup and I'll be god damn'ed it worked!!! Started right up, drove smooth as could be, I did a KAM reset and went through the recommended transmission learning procedure.

Unfortunately I still have another problem. My battery light and wrench is still on and the message center on the dash says "check charging system" and there are no codes, at least no codes that my SCT units can pull.

This all started after a horrendous lightning storm and the car was sitting outside. We had a very close lightning strike, I don't think it hit the car, but it was probably really close.

Anyway, started googling that problem and OMG.... LOTS of people with this issue and no answers. I'm gonna start a new thread on that.