1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Van stolen, ignition broken, how should I repair it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:54 AM
GreenMM
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Van stolen, ignition broken, how should I repair it?

Hi all:

Jerks thieves broke my keyed ignition at the column leaving exactly what's in the below picture.
I am trying to plan a fix for it.
Looks like I will likely acquire a similar van with possibly the key to the door locks but maybe no ignition key.
I still have my original keys.

Could I:
- swap in the donor driver door and side cargo door locks and just have a 2nd key from the donor vehicle? Maybe not ideal, but should work right? I am gathering that should not be too hard to do (?)

- Take off the donor van chrome key lock part and the parts underneath it and install it back in my own van? Would that preserve my original key for the ignition? Or is what's left ruined? Is that a the lock cylinder we are looking at in the pic?
(Sadly) I have not been back to my vehicle since it was stolen and only have the pic my friend took of the ignition (still across country). Is that stuff all broken and a major problem now? My friend who got the van back from the Police contracted tow yard also said ignition turns on now simply with a screwdriver. He had my spare key with him but did not use it (not sure why).

My friend clarified doors can all be locked manually inside the van, but 'popped' driver door and side cargo door locks cannot be opened from the outside with the key.

Honestly, I don't understand how the keyed ignition mechanically works. I don't even know what I'm looking at in the picture. What comes to 'mind' is looking at a brain with a lobotomy cut hole in the skull (lol).

I have access to the alldata repair stuff online for similar 99 e350 model, but even with drawn diagrams onhand and instructions it's not making clear to me what's really broken and what must be replaced.

Any thoughts appreciated. No, I am not asking for any help to be posted in aiding thieves and criminals. I am titled owner of this van that was damaged.
If this would help thieves feel free to PM me any response as well. Thank you forum!

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2016, 12:00 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
change all the locks
it's fairly easy to do

Old 08-08-2016, 12:02 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Thanks Vettex. For the doors right? I would guess that should be pretty straight forward.
I don't mind having to have two keys for the whole van if that's easiest.
Who knows? Maybe I will change all the door ones out.

But the donor van seller thinks he does not have the ignition key (lost) but can probably find the door keys which he's pretty sure is a different key.
So I guess the larger question is how to handle the ignition key issue.
Can the original cylinder lock be retained (as it appears) or is it ruined?

Edit: Vettex... just noticed this... Although I travel etc... it appears our vans are in the same state!

Old 08-08-2016, 12:16 PM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think a locksmith can make a lock that works with your old key. Maybe check with a good one in your town and call them to see what it would cost you.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:32 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
I'm guessing looking at other posts here now, and at my picture that the chrome 'ears' or whatever that is as the final locking chrome collar was sheared right off?
If that is correct, I guess that whole thing is useless (?) and a full replacement is only option (?)

This is a photo from another ignition post here:

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
You need to pull the plastic collar from around the key mechanism on the steering column to see if the collar is broken. It looks like the may have been stripped. If that is the only thing wrong, you should be able to turn the mechanism with a screwdriver lick the crooks did. You turn the mechanism back past the off position and pus the release pin and the whole mechanism should slide out for replacement.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The ignition lock cylinder needs replaced. It has been damaged beyond repair based on your description. The whole part in your picture above you need to buy new or replace from your parts van.
If the previous owner replaced one of the locks but not all of them and it uses 2 keys, in my opinion you will be better off replacing all the locks on your van with a matching set rather than having 2 keys.
For example:
https://www.amazon.com/Econoline-E15.../dp/B00B8GGO1O
Or you could let a Ford dealer or locksmith replace what is broken or missing and retain the use of your original keys. The advantage of this would be that if there are any lost key incidents in the future, you can get a new key based on the VIN.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:15 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Hi Don and Sam I Am.

Yes, you are correct. The ignition freely turns now with a screwdriver - like the thieves did.
I've figured out how to do a complete replacement of the whole assembly - seems very easy.
But I am wondering if there is a way to keep this original keyed ignition and reinstall the chrome collar - something like that, or if what's shown means it's broken and can't be repaired.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:08 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Ah. Thanks for all the helpful info Sam I Am.
Hmmm. Thinking I may try to swap in the replacement lock from donor van then.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:40 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMM
Thanks Vettex. For the doors right? I would guess that should be pretty straight forward.
I don't mind having to have two keys for the whole van if that's easiest.
Who knows? Maybe I will change all the door ones out.

But the donor van seller thinks he does not have the ignition key (lost) but can probably find the door keys which he's pretty sure is a different key.
So I guess the larger question is how to handle the ignition key issue.
Can the original cylinder lock be retained (as it appears) or is it ruined?ruined

Edit: Vettex... just noticed this... Although I travel etc... it appears our vans are in the same state!
I'd use the donor locks on the doors and buy a new one for the column. I'd think that is cheaper than having a locksmith make a key
depending on money, 2 keys is no big deal. My van has 2

I'm in N Ca.
Where are you ?

Old 08-08-2016, 07:12 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Good suggestion Vettex. I'm thinking two different keys is ok. The seller for donor van is testing the key he found tonight on his ignition.
It might be the fastest way to secure my van - even if I decide to swap out the ignition again or try to cut a key.
I'm in "N. Cal" which really means 'central CA' if one is picky about such things.
The O-town region generally.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:37 PM
Oggy Bleacher
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMM
No, I am not asking for any help to be posted in aiding thieves and criminals.
why not? seems like the best punishment you could inflict on them is the keys and the title. I mean, if you read your own posts from a neutral perspective what advice would you give yourself? the thing seems cursed. it seems so cursed I am afraid to read any more about it. but your stories are so amusing that I can't help myself.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:56 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Well then, that's something. Like an amusing train wreck?
Perhaps I've over shot the bar, with my tales, lol.

But you know, perspective.
For example. Numerous people said I was lucky to get the van back. And there's that counter, it WAS stolen in the first place. Is that lucky?
But you know, I'm siding with the people saying I'm lucky I got it back

I do appreciate your comments. What kind of machine have you got there yourself? Looks interesting.

(Actually I thought the best part was those **** criminals stole an unmarked NGV vehicle. Ha! They'd have no idea how awful it is until they try to fuel it).

Old 08-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Oggy Bleacher
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'69 coal burning e-200 mini camper. it does have a coal stove with a chimney but I haven't figured out how to attach a boiler to the drive train. I used it for heat because there is no heat from vents. then I drove to Central America and don't need heat. go figure.

antigua

8 cylinders of pure fury. gotta have deep pockets to drive 8 cylinders around Costa Rica. I admit that sometimes I'm half hoping it is gone when I turn the corner. But If it is there then I consider it my fate to keep it on the road. If it was actually stolen then that would be a sign. I don't want to make light of your headaches but your stories are comical, a comedy of errors I can identify with.

Old 08-11-2016, 05:46 PM
GreenMM
Senior User
Nice to hear stories from your van on the road. That must be pretty cool driving around down there with one. I would enjoy that.
Oh yeah, this van has been a comedy so far.
I can't quite figure out what to make of it. I'm plodding slowly forward with it.

But really, the next big thing I'm attempting will either kill it out right or make it much better.
How is yours mechanically? How the mileage? Is it hard to keep it running or not bad?

I am sure YOU must have some pretty interesting stories cruising around with that thing in central america. I would or I would make them up

Quick Reply: Van stolen, ignition broken, how should I repair it?