Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help....Rolling Coal and don't want to

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 09:46 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
I was able to data log a couple of runs with AE. All with stock selected on the Hydra.

Couple of things I noticed while watching the screen but not recording. It would appear MAP is working fine. Saw MAP max out several times at 40 psi. Need to change the max setting.
**EBP was higher than MAP on several ocassions. Is that normal?**
Saw the HPO over 2900 psi on an extended WOT. Guess the HPOP is ok.

The worst of the black smoke occurs with the TC locked up, approx 50 MPH, approx 1500 RPM. If I just ease into it to accelerate it lugs and blows coal. If I push it to cause downshift it will clear up but not on it's own. EGT just climbs and it keeps lugging. I'm not towing.

It's been suggested the turbo isn't spooling fast enough. Unfortunately this is my first diesel and I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm going to try to record a couple more videos and post so you guys can listen and maybe hear something with an experienced ear. If the turbo has some issue would it still be able to produce over 30 psi(using a tune not stock, 27 in stock) but just not spooling quickly?

Data logs attached so if you know how to read them please let me know if you see anything that jumps out at you.

Thanks, Paul

Attached Files
File Type: csv
8-20-16 2.csv (2.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: csv
8-20-16 3.csv (2.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will answer what I can here, others should be able to fill in the rest, based on the way you describe things, the "coal" is unburned fuel so we can establish that more fuel is being used and not enough air is entering the system (hence the need for the turbo) so at this point I would check the turbo over for issues.

IIRC the map and barro sensors should be really close to each other reading wise

Old 08-23-2016, 06:29 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
That's a lot of MAP/EBP for stock, even with the red line mod. I'm looking at the ICP/IPR ratio, and it makes me suspect the ICP sensor could be reading low. A low reading would have the PCM apply more IPR than needed, and this can create an over-fueling condition in a stock tune.

The EBP/MAP ratio looks normal, so I don't suspect air leaks.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:08 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
have ordered a turbo rebuild kit and new ICP. Old ICP is aftermarket and has oil in it.....I know, I know, only OEM. I bought it right after I got the truck and before I knew better. it lasted 5 years, is still working although now suspect so I guess I got my $35 worth. This time it's OEM. Will update after new Parts are in

Old 08-23-2016, 08:33 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
I prolly don't have to say this, but replace the ICP first and give it a go. That might be the whole enchilada right there.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Had the same problem. My MAP sensor hose was dry and had a split in it. Replaced the 1/4 hose and no more black smoke.

Check the hose again. Mine you could not see. Cost was $4.50 to replace :-)

Old 08-24-2016, 08:00 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
So i checked the hose. It was a possibility since one of the things i did right before this started was clean my AC coil and that required taking the map sensor and hose off. It is in good condition. Took it completely out and pressurized with shop air. No leaks. Waiting for parts to arrive.
Will install ICP first and see. Then if no joy rebuild turbo. Last thing i want to do is fix it and not know what the fix was.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:48 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Okay gang we're back to square one. I put the new bearing kit in the turbo because it came in the mail first. The old bearings looked pretty good and after installing a 360 bearing kit it spins about the same as it did before. Didn't find any excessive carbon buildup or scrape marks around the compressor or turbine wheel. Went for a run and still blowing a little black smoke on acceleration and lugging at torque converter lockup and low RPM when trying to accelerate.
Put the new OEM ICP sensor in. Still no change. Good to have a new one in any way since I had oil in the connector.
Brother-in-law is going to come over in the morning and help me put the new radio and backup camera in. May try to get some AE log runs done after that.
Feels like it's a little down on power. I did put it in no start and crank the engine over and listen for a bad cylinder. Sounds nice and even cranking so I don't suspect a bad individual cylinder.
Sure would like some more input from the guys here that know these motors.
Thanks

Old 08-26-2016, 09:38 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Just throwing ideas out there, are you using any kind of additive in your fuel?

Old 08-26-2016, 09:40 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Just diesel Kleen in the grey bottle

Old 08-27-2016, 05:36 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
My 02 smokes when lugging along with both the stock injectors and the ones it has now. I've got a 38R with the Ford AIS intake. (I do not have the fender sleeve though) It clears up in the higher RPMs regardless of the tune its running. Well, it puts out some gray smoke in an aggressive tune in the higher RPM's. I'm running a Hydra as well with tunes from PHP, Swamps, and Gearhead.

Can you monitor both Boost readings from the MAP and from the pressure gauge? If so, how close are they?

Old 08-27-2016, 07:08 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
As for boost and MAP... they use the same sensor, but the boost subtracts BARO from MAP - so they will always be in lock-step.

As for MAP vs EBP... my 38R is about 1:1 all the way up the throttle range, with the EBP going a couple of PSI higher here and there. I wrote a virtual gauge that I call "Turbo Pressure Delta", it is the result of EBP minus MAP - so it constantly shows the pressure differential. That's not to say mine is common, I'm having other issues with the engine that calls the differential into question. I'd like to see what others have.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:25 AM
OnlySS
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm the same boat here, except my 02 smokes more then that, and usually happens around the 50mph range with the TC locked up. I'm on the highway about to pass, step on it I get smoke and some lag, if I let off the throttle for a quick second or so and apply it again, it accelerates quick with No lag or smoke... What I keep thinking is like Jamie said on post #32, I am not getting enough air in fast enough to accommodate the fuel, hence I am loosing power, don't like that. I don't have this issue when driving around city streets, truck will move like a bat outta hell. Subscribing

Old 08-27-2016, 03:21 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by OnlySS
I'm the same boat here, except my 02 smokes more then that, and usually happens around the 50mph range with the TC locked up. I'm on the highway about to pass, step on it I get smoke and some lag, if I let off the throttle for a quick second or so and apply it again, it accelerates quick with No lag or smoke... What I keep thinking is like Jamie said on post #32, I am not getting enough air in fast enough to accommodate the fuel, hence I am loosing power, don't like that. I don't have this issue when driving around city streets, truck will move like a bat outta hell. Subscribing
Are you running stock injectors. How long has that 6637 been on there. Are you running a stock Turbo

Old 08-27-2016, 03:25 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tugly
As for boost and MAP... they use the same sensor, but the boost subtracts BARO from MAP - so they will always be in lock-step.

As for MAP vs EBP... my 38R is about 1:1 all the way up the throttle range, with the EBP going a couple of PSI higher here and there. I wrote a virtual gauge that I call "Turbo Pressure Delta", it is the result of EBP minus MAP - so it constantly shows the pressure differential. That's not to say mine is common, I'm having other issues with the engine that calls the differential into question. I'd like to see what others have.
Not necessarily. I have an Edge Insight that will monitor Boost from the Map sensor. But, with a boost fooler, 23lbs is all the higher it goes. I also have a sensor located where the AIH used to be located. I can monitor both at the same time, and both read right about the same, within a pound of each other, until I hit 23lbs. There, the MAP reading boost stays right around 23, while the actual boost keeps climbing. What I was wondering is, could the MAP be sending a false reading to the injectors to send more fuel than what it's suppose to?

Which brings to mind a question, If you are using the MAP for boost readings, you shouldn't be getting any readings above 24lbs without defueling the motor, unless custom tuning gets you around that.

Quick Reply: Help....Rolling Coal and don't want to