Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for removing stuck lug studs?

Old 08-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tips for removing stuck lug studs?

I've been swamped helping my friends and doing odd jobs I haven't had a chance to be on here much lately!

Anyways, today my wheel came flying off my Bronco thankfully on the dirt road to my house while I was going slow. I have a very minor bend in the body where the wheel came off but it's not noticeable. The wheel well trim got destroyed though so I have to find a new driver rear one.

The lugs nuts on the rear axle somehow got loose enough that they all came off except for one apparently, which broke the lug stud. I believe I torqued the lug nuts to spec when I last put them on, so maybe someone messed with them or my torque specs were off.

Anyways, I can't for the life of me get the damn studs off!!

I've tried hitting them with a sledge to no avail (and the studs are mushrooming at the tip.) I sprayed some power lube type stuff on there earlier today but it didn't help any. I've tried using a propane torch around the stud then hitting, then the stud itself and hitting. Both no budging at all!

I managed to limp my truck to my driveway so I could try air tools. My air hammer didn't work at all either on any of the studs (I need to replace all 5.)

I ended up drilling a hole through one of them, but it still wouldn't hammer out. I suppose I can keep drilling larger and larger holes..... but I hope I don't have to do that for 5 different studs.

Worst case scenario, my neighbor gave me some tips on removing the axle if I have to. I'd really like to not have to do that, but I may have to. Apparently it is as simple as pulling the rear cover, unbolting one bolt, then pulling a rod and c-clip and the axle should slide out?

Does anyone have any other advice for me before I go pulling my axle?

Old 08-06-2016, 09:03 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I got impatient. I'm amazed at how easy it is to remove the axle on these 8.8s!

It really was as simple at unbolting the cover, taking out an 8mm bolt on the pin, sliding the pin out, and then pushing the axles inwards to take the c-clip out. With that the axles slides right out.

My neighbor is going to let me use his press tomorrow to get those damn studs out so hopefully they come out easily!

Old 08-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the additional torque that you have available to your right foot, now might be a great time to upgrade to some stronger wheels studs? Maybe ARP has something available.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:51 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and upgrade them c clips to eliminate them.