2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford FX4 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 01:20 PM
Railmonkey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford FX4 Test Drive

I drove the 4X4 FX today, it doesn't have the center console but everything else as advertised. I didn't like the black interior cloth on the 60/40 seats but just my preference.

Car ran smooth but it did not give me that warm fuzzy feeling! Maybe this particular model was too basic for me for the money - they had two in stock a 4x4 and 2x4, no dealer incentive on the list price.

I'm holding out for a Lariat and I'll see how that fares.

Apart from the black cloth seats, there is also a lot of plastic on the dash, I prefer the look of my current F-150 FX. The overhead rail system was fairly basic also.

We'll see... They are starting to roll in now with the big push at the end of the month.

Old 08-19-2003, 07:28 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 335 Likes on 203 Posts
Ford FX4 Test Drive

First, you called it an "FX". Then, you called it a car. Now, granted these new trucks rolling off the assembly lines now days are getting WAY too comfy inside...but still it is NOT a car. So maybe this is a sign that you shouldn't buy one at all. Doesn't sound like you're going to be hauling a skid of bricks with it or towing a farm tractor anyhow.

I will agree with you on one thing...the black cloth interior is awful. I have that on my new truck I just picked up this week, and already I hate it compared to the seats in my '99.

Old 08-21-2003, 01:41 PM
Petrol
Elder User
Ford FX4 Test Drive

After seeing the post about the '04s begining to show up at the stealerships I had to go get a first hand (and seat of the pants) look at them.

The dealer I went to had four on the lot but the one that I was most interested in out of them was the SuperCab Lariet. Why the Lariet you ask? Because it has the New & Improved 300 HP, 365 Lb Ft, 3V 5.4L Triton V-8!!!!

WOW, what a nice truck! The first thing that you notice is that while the truck is somewhat 'slab sided' when compared to the '97-'03 and rather large, it doesn't look nearly as big as it is. It does look good. Any Pictures you may have seen simple do not do this truck justice!

I like that the grill lifts with the hood alowing for a bit better engine compartment access. The head and corner lights are sweet. The new signal mirrors have a small row of yellow LEDs and look great. Nice 'Grab-on-To' door handles! The bed seems to be a good 2" deeper then before and the torsion bar spring assist on the tailgate really made me think 'why didn't somebody think of this before'.

While the rear 'suicide' doors work great but I would like them to open a little further. What all those doors open to is a great interior! Wow, that dash with the console mounted shifter is sweet! The switch gear is nicely layed out and has good feel. The leather quality on the power seats seems to be of better quality then in years past. Nice, comfortable and roomy. Plenty of nice gadgets to keep you up at night reading the owners manual as well. I'd have to give them a big thumbs up for appearance and layout on the interior.

The 5.4L is real smooth and quite , especially from the drivers seat with the doors and windows closed. They really put some sound insulation in this thing and I could tell right then that the drive wasn't going to be like any other F150 I have been in and I was right.

I pulled out of the parking spot and moved through the lot I noticed right away that the steering has great feel while being a little light in the effort dept. I wonder what ratio they went with because she manuvers through the tight lot real well.

I drove nice and easy to let her warm up while rolling for some pothole lined streets were I could check out the much touted suspension improvements . . . WOW, for a 4WD model this thing really rides nice. She really does a great job of soaking up the big hits (railroad crossing with multiple tracks) while isolating small ruts and expansion joints. Good control without being floaty. Firm without being jarring, real nice. Make no mistake about it, this is no autocrosser but she handles real good for such a large beast, almost makes you think your in a smaller truck. I think this nice and quite ride will be almost a shock to folks who are coming out of older (especially pre '97) trucks. Not as quite or smooth as a lexus but for a truck, WOW. Puts the dodge and cheby to shame!

Once I felt the engine was warmed and ready I had to see for myself if this thing has real power improvements or if it's just a simple 'marketing ploy' to give the Ford faithful something to say when the cheby and dodge boys start talking HP. Well, pure and simple, I'd say it feels like they may have 'under-rated' this thing. Feels like the new 3v 5.4L has more then 300 hp to me as she pulls real strong and moved that heavy 4WD SuperCab to a hand held stopwatch 0-60 time of 7.8 seconds . . . and she wasn't even broke in yet! Make no mistake, this is the engine you want. I have drive the dodge hemi and believe me, this 5.4L is the chit!

All said I think Ford has a real winner here though I must say that the emblem on the tailgate is real BIG. Nobody behind one in traffic will mistake a new F150 for anything else, that's for sure. I must add that the RegCab with it's small (about 8") suicide doors has a weird look about it that will take some time to get used too but the extra behind the seat storage will be welcome by anyone who chooses it. As for the SuperCrew 4 door configuration . . . I'm glad the model they had on the lot (Arizona Biege XLT) didn't have the 5.4L or I'd have had a real hard time pulling myself away!

I give the new '04 F150 a solid thumbs up, it really is a great truck, Ford or not!

Old 08-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Awright87
New User
Ford FX4 Test Drive

They are nice! But Don't expect to pay anything less then MSRP. My dad is a sales manger at a ford dealer here. They have been mandated to only sell at MSRP!

Ordered 2 2004 F-350 S/C PSD 6.0 Tourq Shift Lariat FX4
2002 F-350 S/C PSD Lariat off road pack.

Old 08-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Awright87
New User
Ford FX4 Test Drive

Not to get off subject or anything but you can not use any plans or other rebates on the 2004 F-150, 2004 Lightning, 2004 SVT Focus or thunderbird. My dad is the sales manger at a ford dealer. Every dealer has been told to charge MSRP on those products no matter what unless ford gives our rebates. The are expecting a high want for those vehicles. And Dont even think about 0.0/0.0 on those maybe not even the heritage edition
F-150. You People are out of your mind. I just ordered 2 2004 F-350 S/C PSD 6.0 Tourq Shift tranny lariats short beds. I had to fight about getting invoice I manged to get 15% Below invoice on a truck thats MSRP 45,000 +!

Old 08-22-2003, 12:09 AM
JMorri
Junior User
Ford FX4 Test Drive

Let's see how many they move off the lots at MSRP in today'sselling environment. It won't be many, I gaurantee you that.

I saw another post where you can buy on forddirect website for around invoice.

The rebates will be coming soon also from what I hear. They have to or they won't be selling trucks at the pace they need to.

Old 08-22-2003, 07:02 AM
Awright87
New User
Ford FX4 Test Drive

If you want to beleve that. The demand is a lot higher the production. If you really want them you willpay MSRP! My dads ford dealer sells about 5 a day between locating them and ordering them. They have only been on the lot for How long. They charge MSRP!

Old 08-22-2003, 12:08 PM
03f150man
Elder User
Ford FX4 Test Drive

when production of the new truck has ramped up and dealer lots are full, ford hopes to reach annual sales target of about 900,000 units. No manufacturer can get anywhere close to that kind of sales volume without offerring discounts from msrp. In houston, a new basic 03 f150 crew cab (4 full doors) with xlt with 4.6 sells for about $20,500 after rebates and stickers at around 29,000. I saw an 04 4.6 xlt supercab yesterday that was nice but nothing special with a sticker of $29,200. Let's see now, do i buy an 04 xlt 4.6 supercab or pay nearly $9,000 less and get the 03 xlt 4.6 screw. i like the 04's but the math tells me the 03 is a no brainer. So selling 04's at msrp doesnt make sense, and that is without even considering the deals chevy and dodge will offer.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:16 PM
03f150man
Elder User
Ford FX4 Test Drive

Awrighjt, also, during ford wall street analyst calls, ford has projected estimated msrp discounts of around 7%. So ford's official statements dont jive with your memo. If your dad's ford dealer can sell a new one at msrp then more power to then but zero or ultra low discounts are not sustainable in todays market.

Old 08-22-2003, 04:24 PM
preacher ryan
New User
Ford FX4 Test Drive

Direct from my General Manager, here, guys:

There is absolutely NO mandate to hold at MSRP. There have been instances already with trucks we have pre-sold where we have offered an in-dealership discount to get closer to invoice. In fact, we four or five customers that are waiting for their '04 that did, indeed, buy under MSRP. This sounds like a policy of the particular dealership to me.

Ryan

Old 08-26-2003, 12:10 PM
peterbilt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford FX4 Test Drive

Awright87

My local dealer has a lot full of 03' heavy duty 6.0 PSDs. All seem to be in the mid 40K range. Are they making deals on these?

Thanks
Pete

Old 08-26-2003, 12:45 PM
mountainman
Senior User
Ford FX4 Test Drive

car/truck same meaning in text wxboy. why do u hit on such little things. give him a break

Old 08-26-2003, 04:19 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford FX4 Test Drive

If you got the money and you want it, its no one's business but your own whether you need it. If it were simply need and not want, we'd all be riding mopeds to work. Those using a truck for work would be driving underpowered 4 cylinder diesel trucks like the Europeans do!

Old 08-27-2003, 06:24 PM
Petrol
Elder User
Ford FX4 Test Drive

^^^ Hear, Hear! Well said Ken!