'03 Ranger 3.0 Idle

Old 08-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Zeddius
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Ranger 3.0 Idle

I've got a Ranger Edge Ext Cab with a 3.0 and an idle like my .520 cammed hot-rod. Idled fine initially, but started to idle like crap after 1k miles or so. Took it into the dealer twice, and both times they said that there is nothing wrong with it, and the idle is normal. Called Ford, and they told me the same thing. Needless to say, the idle is not 'normal', nor is it acceptable in a $20k vehicle.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Old 08-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 Ranger 3.0 Idle

Welcome to FTE!!!

I agree that its not normal, the 3.0s are known for a slightly rough idle but not that bad. I would ask them to show you that the rest of the 3.0s on their lot idle like yours does, and if they don't then how can it be normal.

Old 08-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'03 Ranger 3.0 Idle

Hi, welcome to FTE!

Could any bad gas or other dirt have gotten into the system?

Old 08-19-2003, 03:09 PM
03EDGE
Freshman User
'03 Ranger 3.0 Idle

Mine idles pretty rough too. Comming from a new hemi the power also leaves a little bit to be desired.

Old 08-29-2003, 12:26 PM
SmlyGrl
New User
Smile '03 Ranger 3.0 Idle

Was reading the first posting and found that you had the same problem as me. This is the Fourth time my truck is in the shop for rough idle and they tell me its normal but it is not. We set my truck next to one on the lot and wow they where not the same. They have changed the injectors, map sensor, computer and now they are replacing the motor mounts and then they say next is to check the crank for balance....... I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!

Old 08-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 Ranger 3.0 Idle

Welcome to FTE!!!

Hang in there and make them fix it right!

Old 08-31-2003, 06:13 PM
grawolf99
New User
'03 Ranger 3.0 Idle

I had the same issue and it was the idle air control unit. changed it out for ninety bucks and it cured it

Old 09-17-2003, 04:40 PM
buzzird
New User
'03 Ranger 3.0 Idle

newbie on the board here..

i am having the same problem w my 2002 3.0 edge.manual.
it shakes like it has a burned valve.
there is a tsb on this..
they do an ecc test,pin point test per h manual and ssm 16278.
ignition system testing-power balance.compression test.then they reprogram pcm to latest calibration update.fuel injector flow test..
and if it all checks out... then there is no further service at this time to correct the problem..

what i think they really do is...wave the majic wand over your truck.. then flag the hours..
tell you it is fixed and send you down the road...
then put a little cirlce with a dot inside it next to your name in the computer....

so what i think is wrong.. a plug wire or wires with ohms too far out of spec.. and or miss matched plug gap or gaps....
or bad coil pack.
kragen doesn't offer wires yet.
if they use the opposite cylinders plug gap as a ground for the primary cylinder spark...then the plug gap might have something to do with the problem..or a fouled plug or lightly carboned plug from breakin...

this is somthing a 200,000 mi. pinto does.. not a $22,000 truck with 7000 mile s on it .....imho..
i smell a class action lawsuit in the works....

can you say "LEMON!"
i think i will remove the edge stickers and get some yellow ones made up.. and replace them with some that say just that...LEMON

Old 09-28-2003, 11:00 AM
twolegpolka
New User
'03 Ranger 3.0 Idle

Glad to see that others are having a rough idle problem with the 3.0L ! I have had my '03 Ranger Edge into the shop twice now for the same problem. They "flashed" the computer,gave it the "latest and greatest" software updates, with no change and that everything checked out fine. Latest visit to Ford, I was told by the service manager that there was nothing they could do to fix the problem currently and that Ford is "FULLY" aware of the Rough idle problems with their 3.0L engines. Was told that the Ford Engineers are currently working on the cure and that they would get back with me in a month. Ranger only has 15K on it!! Should have kept my '87 F-150 with 150K miles! It idled very smoothly! Stay Tuned !!

Old 09-28-2003, 06:11 PM
Ranger95
Junior User
This must be on the newer 3.0L!, my Ranger is a 95 3.0L with 136K Miles on it and it idles like a kitten (even my wife thought that the engine was OFF!!!!) Don't know what they had done to it in the past, (bought it used about 3 weeks ago, 2 previous owners), but I was surprised that the engine was running so strong and so smoothly that it was hard to believe due to the high mileage of this engine.

Old 10-07-2003, 11:06 PM
03dsb3000
New User
i am having the same idle problems in my 03 dual sport with the 3.0 it has done it ever since i bought the truck and it now has about 5500 miles i also had another wierd thing happen the other weekend i would give it 3/4 throtle to take off from a stop and the motor would rev up 500 rpm then it would just stall out it happned about 4 times back to back i took it up to the mazda dealer and they said they couldn't find any thing wrong with it one more thing when the tranny is in park or neutral the motor will rev to about 3000rpm and then hit the rev limiter the dealer said it was normal and all the trucks do it but i got it to rev up to 4500+rpm when i first got it and it was in park or neutral

thanks for any help you might have and i love the site

Old 10-16-2003, 02:11 PM
03Edge4x4
New User
Question

What are the side effects of having this rough idle? My '03 6 cyl. 3.0 with 800 miles does the same thing. I shiver at the thought of going back to the stealership. They usually screw-up more than they fix.

Old 10-17-2003, 03:26 PM
silvapain
Senior User
what are the idle rpm's? Do they fluctuate or are they running high? just curious. My vulcan idles fine, but I don't know what changes they have made since then.

Old 10-17-2003, 05:07 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain
what are the idle rpm's? Do they fluctuate or are they running high? just curious. My vulcan idles fine, but I don't know what changes they have made since then.
Same thing I was wondering ...my '97 vulcan idles nice and smooth, but it seems I've been hearing lately about some of the newer 3.0L motors having a rough idle.

I can't recall exactly where it was, but I think I remember reading something about the upper intakes being designed just a little bit different on the newer vulcans...if that is true, then it might very well be a factor in the difference in idle quality.

I'll keep an eye out and post back here if I remember anything more specific and/or run across the source of that information again.

Old 10-18-2003, 12:45 PM
twolegpolka
New User
'03 Ranger 3.0 Idle

I have now noticed that upon starting my truck, I see a small puff of Blue Smoke from the tailpipe. This blue puff of smoke is sometimes seen in between changing gears. Funny thing is that this blue smoke isn't always seen upon start up or ofter the engine has sat overnight.
I have also contacted the Ford Hotline (800 number) and told them of my rough idling problem and now visible engine oil burn off from the engine combustion. Thinking a valve problem here but I am not a mechanic. Fords responce is that there are currently no known problems with the '03 3.0L engine. That Ford finds an oil consumption of 1 Qt. per 900 Miles of driving to be "normal" oil consumption. The engine only has 15K on it and the rough idle problem has increased noticeable since about 8K miles!
I hate to see how poorly the engine will run in another 15K. Thinking of trying another Ford Dealership locally to see if another set of eyes (thinking) may find something!
Any ideas??
Thanks in advance for possible replies!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '03 Ranger 3.0 Idle