Which truck for cross country hauling?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:36 AM
lance65
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Which truck for cross country hauling?

I could have posted this in several different sub-forums, but I figured this would be the best one.
I am constipating a new business with my sister and brother in law, I will be hauling loads of clean rust free sheetmetal and other parts from California to Illinois, actually if they agree to it we will meet in Texas,swap trailers(I take empty one back to Cali).....sooo my question is which truck would you chose to pull the trailer?
Right now I have...
1989 F250 SuperCab 5.8/C6(needs trans work), Sterling with 4.10 limited slip.
1984 F250 std cab 2wd 6.9/T19, Dana 70 with 3.55's

...OR...

I have been looking to get a

1970 F250 Ranger XLT 390/C6, dana 60 w/3.54's
...or...
a dentside 1973-1977 F250 with either a 390 or 460..I'd prefer a manual trans too.

So, what would YOU use?
Thanks

Old 08-06-2016, 08:40 AM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
None of the above. You will probably put all your profits into fuel and maintenance problems, in my opinion from over 5 million miles over the road you need a newer diesel for max economy and reliability, although that also has it's own can of worms. I wouldn't use anything more than 10 to 12 years old, and preferably newer.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:56 PM
lance65
Posting Guru
Yeah, I dont want a newer truck. The repairs will cost just as much as replacing an older truck. I have seen it first hand. Plus I will not spend 30-70k on something new. I have friends that have dropped THOUSANDS on their new junk...Ford diesels, Dodge diesels and DurtyMax's PLUS the cost of the trucks themselves. For the cost of injectors alone, I can buy a whole 'nother truck..lol. So now, what about eating up my profits?...SO, NEWER TRUCKS ARE OUT.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:06 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
looks like you answered your own question.

remember to check your TOW and Carry capacities

Safe Travels.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:11 AM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're worried about a $200 fuel injector eating up your profits you are doing it wrong. Might be time to reevaluate your business model.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:30 AM
lance65
Posting Guru
Newer diesel injectors are not $200. Besides, I dont see where buying a 30-70k dollar truck that gets 12-20mpg towing with a 600-1000mo payment is going to make me more money!?..lol
I guess those that have newer trucks dont understand..I DONT WANT A NEW TRUCK!
It seems that in every forum I visit no one can seem to answer a question that relates to the OP. People ask about IDI's, they get the same ole..SWAP IN A CUMMINS, or looking for more power out of a 360,,SWAP IN A 460, or mine for expample, I asked about a certain type of trucks that I either own already, or that is affordable to me right now, and so far Ive gotten buy something newer.
Thank You all, but I will handle this on my own.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow,

You give us almost no valuable information at all. And then b*tch about the replies you've been given...

Nice.

First, I'm not that familiar with a "constipation" business (look at your first post again). How much weight will you be towing, how many miles, and how many times a week/month/etc? Gooseneck? Flatbed? Enclosed car trailer?

How are you getting paid? By the load? The pound? The mile? The hour?

Are you going to do this the legitimate way? CDL license/DOT logbook/commercial truck registration/business license/commercial insurance/placards and ICC #'s on side of truck and trailer? Or are you going to try to sneak around under the radar and hope for the best that you never get caught?

Most "businesses" are built around the idea of making a profit. Not breaking even, or losing money. So the advice you're getting is different than for a guy that's just driving to El Paso, TX, ONE TIME, to pick up or drop off an old car, and return to CA. If you're REALLY going to be doing this non-stop, for a "business", then you need to approach it like a business, and not a hobby.

Even if you have a FLEET of 30 year old pickups sitting around you can take turns driving, if you're underway, and under load, and break down during your "business" haul half way from anywhere, then you're not making money. And you won't be making money again until you get it fixed and back on the road. That downtime is what most transportation related businesses try to avoid.

This is why you're getting the (solid) advice that you've been getting. Turning around and then getting "snippy" about it, just about guarantees no one else is going to take your "business venture" seriously and offer you more advice.

Good luck. Report back here in a year, and let us know how it's going.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:35 AM
lance65
Posting Guru
HAHAHA, really!?
No, I will not buy a NEW truck. All I am doing is hauling clean parts to Illinois to help those in the rust belt to get rust free parts. I do not need a CDL for what I am doing. I have a business license and insurance already. This is not going to be a weekly adventure trip either.
And the advice I am getting is NOT "SOLID", I did not ask about new trucks, I did ask about the trucks LISTED. Is it really that hard for you to understand that? I DO NOT LIKE NEW TRUCKS!..I PREFER TO DRIVE OLD TRUCKS..PERIOD.
Thank You for the LACK of "SOLID" advice, it did NOT pertain to my question.
and BTW slim, you OBVIOUSLY have no sense of humor..."constipating"= CONTEMPLATING.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:00 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
CDL doesn't matter, provided the combined weight ratings is under 26,000 pounds. Anything over 10,000 pounds you are required to comply with all the other FMCSRs, that is weight ratings. If you care about being compliant, I'd gladly help you out. If not, the lessons can get expensive.

Yes, an injector for my newer than your pickup is $200. Nice try. I didn't say run out and buy the newest F550 with the 6.7 and King Ranch for comfort. There are plenty of 7.3s, OBS fords, 6.0 running up and down the road today, running loads. Many with 200,000 to 750,000 miles and an occasional million mile runner.

If you don't like the answers figure it out for yourself. You don't care for advise.

If I going to take on such a venture, I'd find a freighliner business class or F750 diesel with air brakes and I would add a sleeper. I'd find one rated under 26,000. Make my deliveries and then find a broker or use load boards to find hot shot loads to earn money heading home. Fewer unloaded miles = more money and offsetting vehicle costs.

Use what ever you want. We are not the ones driving. Admittedly an older ride would be good advertising. Provided it isn't totally a heap that should have been scrapped years ago.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:42 PM
lance65
Posting Guru
That 6.0 is NOT and WOULD NOT be my first choice in a diesel. My friend has a 2003 F250 with the 6.0, bought the truck with 32000 miles from original owner for 23,000 dollars, as of April he had the truck 4years and put another 14,000 into EGR cooler, 3sets of injectors, turbo and some oil line issues. Each time, the cab has to be pulled.. So, Thank You, but NO. I also do not like replacing 1 injector, but that is just me. Didnt do it on my EFI trucks/cars and wont do it for a diesel.
And "maybe" where you live you can get AN INJECTOR for 200, but in California, people are GREEDY..anything diesel and the price triples..NICE TRY.
I did not ask for all the smart assed comments nor do I deserve them. I asked a specific question and what I got was the typical...go bigger,better and more expensive. Unfortunately I have a severely disabled 8yr old son, so I cannot( and will not) put myself into a heavy truck payment.
Out here a 96-up PS is still 8-18k and Cummins are in the same range...obscene. And like I said, I wont even consider a 6.0, sorry.
Thank You anyways.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:45 PM
lance65
Posting Guru
and no, I dont plan on rolling down the road looking like Sanford and Son..lol

Old 08-07-2016, 03:19 PM
1979 Ford
FTE Chapter Leader
You are the one setting the tone of this thread. Can't help willful ignorance.

You don't want help. You should go trolling elsewhere.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
My last attempt at communicating with you.

You can't get advice to help your specific case, unless you give us SPECIFIC details.

All you've given us so far is you have these old trucks sitting around (fine), and you're going to be hauling some sheet metal around, maybe to Chicago, or maybe only to Texas.

That's it.

As I asked before...

What kind of WEIGHTS will you be pulling?

What kind of TRAILER will you be pulling it with?

How many MILES are you going to put on, and in what kind of TIMELINE?

Are you going to be making one run to Amarillo a year, with a Pinto fender in the bed of your truck?

Or are you planning on pulling a million miles a year with a triple axle gooseneck enclosed trailer with 24K in scrap steel in the back?

These things are called DETAILS.

Get it?

You give us those, and MAYBE we can help you with something useful.

If not...

I say "F* It"...

Drive the BLUE ONE.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:33 PM
lance65
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1979 Ford
You are the one setting the tone of this thread. Can't help willful ignorance.

You don't want help. You should go trolling elsewhere.
LMAO..you are a jerk for sure. You obviously dont understand PLAIN ENGLISH. Thats fine, I should have remembered where I am. "Certain" sub forums are full of a**holes such as yourself.
I am not ignorant nor a troll. I dont need your help. I will kindly ask you to STAY OUT of my thread from here on out.
As for what kind of weight? It's obvious that with a 3/4t truck I can not legally haul 24k lbs...and you guys call ME ignorant and a troll.
I have figured out what and how I am going to do this.
Thank for a thread full of bull****.

...and I thought that Pirate was bad...lol, was I wrong.