1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

help installing windshield needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 04:36 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CBeav
The rear window is installed from inside because of the headliner. The windshield from the outside because it's easier (and the 'normal' direction.)

Here's the deal: not using sealer on the outside allows some water and dirt to eventually make its way under the seal, even if you don't see any leakage. If you don't use a sealer and are lucky enough that water never seeps past and the paint protects the metal you won't see any rust. Pretty big 'if'. I prefer butyl or 08008 over silicone. Butyl remains sticky forever but is a mess/pain when it has to be removed. 08008 is a weatherstrip contact sealer (don't confuse with contact glue like you use to install formica) though it will also be a bit of a pain, it won't be as bad as butyl, but doesn't remain as pliable over the years. It may sound like overkill but my preference is 08008 in the glass groove and butyl in the body groove. And I don't mean big wads of either, just enough to accomplish the task. My reasoning, fwiw, is the glass is pretty stable but the body is going to stretch and flex. I also feel if the rubber is soft enough to provide a good seal it probably won't last very long. If it's tough enough to take on Old Man Sol for many years it's probably not going to be a very soft, compliant seal.
Why do I always find these things out after the fact. I put my windshield in from inside, and the back glass from the outside, and you guessed it without sealer? At least the front glass is on the outside of the metal flange

Old 08-07-2016, 06:30 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been told that the 'right way' is to put the sealer in the glass channel first, then the glass. After that sets a bit install the glass and then apply sealer to the outside edge by lifting the rubber. Still a pita but not as messy as trying to pull the cord with sealer all over it.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:45 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
WELL SHOOT, I tried doing the rear glass as a test run for the windshield. It's the same glass that I took out so I know it fits. Used no sealer, against the majority of the advise I received, because I figured if things went south or it leaked it would be the easiest to redo. Things started off well. I used a lot of soapy water as lubricant for the seal to cab surface. Had a helper. BUT...after just a foot or so of pulling the 1/4" nylon cord there was a lot of friction. The cord tore the brand new seal. Did a lot of pounding on the window trying to gain more clearance and did manage to get the window installed for practice. Can't imagine trying the windshield after this experience. Anyone want to tell me where I went wrong? I'm trying to think of the most slippery non permanent lubricant that I can try next........? Also considering using plastic coated electrical wire. Does any one know of an alternate install method? Thanks

Old 08-08-2016, 09:13 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't use electrical wire, it's made of copper and will stretch. I use pull rope for small engines (think: chainsaws, etc., small diameter and slick finish) and soapy water (about 50/50) in a spray bottle. It's one of those touchy-feely jobs, you have to push on the glass some but not too much while pulling the cord. Don't rush. Actually, I think the rear window is more of a pita than the windshield.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:05 PM
Cougar54
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CBeav
you have to push on the glass some but not too much while pulling the cord. Don't rush. Actually, I think the rear window is more of a pita than the windshield.
I agree with this advise 100%. It jives exactly with my experience doing mine.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:38 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts
I like cotton rope for pulling the gasket, less abrasive than nylon and it stays wet with soapy water. The rope is only needed to roll the gasket out.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:04 PM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Soooooooo, today I started on the windshield. Put the gasket on the windshield and was surprised that it was sloppy. Guessing there might be as much as a half inch of extra seal when the window is pressed into it.Causes it to separate at the curves and corners.Needless to say I didn't try putting it in the truck. Going to call MidFifty first thing in the morning. What do you guys think?