6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

NEW VIBRATION OR HOPPING TSB

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 03:48 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like a floating weight. I imagine that the mass of the chunk of steel simply behaves as a dampener, sorta like noise canceling headphones. When vibration hits it, the weight is heavy enough and free floating so that it would absorb the pulse and provide "equal and opposite reaction".

Pretty cool and maybe with a couple more pics I could make one for a lot less than $300.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:49 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
yeh, I guess I am surprised if its 'floating' that it is not resting on the bottom bumper. specially if the weight is that heavy

Old 08-08-2016, 08:29 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
also, the pic is of the dampener on a 3017 f450.. those don't have the new fully boxed chassis?

Old 08-08-2016, 05:40 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well my truck is sitting at the dealer awaiting the part that should be in tomorrow.

I'll update with any noticed improved ride after I pick it up.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:13 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Picked my truck up this afternoon. I can't offer any report as to how much better the ride is with the part installed as the part is currently on back order until Sept 15. I've waited 35+ months, I guess I can wait a little longer.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:29 PM
Glittle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribing in here.

Wonder how it will work with the Carli suspension I have. I still get a bouncy feeling every so often.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:27 AM
wharrell
Tuned

I had this issue on a 2011 and now a 2015.

Will monitor and try to get the TSB applied

Old 08-10-2016, 06:30 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Glittle
Subscribing in here.

Wonder how it will work with the Carli suspension I have. I still get a bouncy feeling every so often.
I would imagine that it couldn't hurt to try. From what I can see this part in design is to absorb vibrations from the rear of the trucks frame that are then harmonically transferred along the frame forward causing the feel of hopping or out of balance vibrations.

Now again, this is only a Redneck guess and assumption.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't read the other thread but a couple of questions:

Is the bouncing only when towing?
Is it obvious it's from the rear or does it also feel like it could be the front?

Mine has a shake at about 60mph but I was figuring that was the cupped front tires (likely is).

Old 08-10-2016, 07:45 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28

Is it obvious it's from the rear or does it also feel like it could be the front?

Mine has a shake at about 60mph but I was figuring that was the cupped front tires (likely is).

Player,
In my case, it is actually reduced somewhat when I tow, but it is still there. It is definitely in the rear, don't even feel any vibe in the steering wheel.

Originally Posted by jonrjen
Picked my truck up this afternoon. I can't offer any report as to how much better the ride is with the part installed as the part is currently on back order until Sept 15. I've waited 35+ months, I guess I can wait a little longer.

I hear ya..... I've waited for 6 years! I still hold little faith that this will fix it since they tried this back in 2005-2007 with a slightly different part number damper...

Old 08-10-2016, 06:31 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28

The issue that caused me the greatest problem is that you couldn't tell if it was coming from the front or the rear. About the time I would choose one or the other, it would then cause me to change my mind.

I have chased this issue with new tires trying 3 different brands. All of which were balanced a few times before moving on to another brand. Discount Tire was great in working with me.

I have found that I can adjust tire pressure and the setting on my Rancho 9000 shocks to lessen the feel, but it does still occur.

Towing our 5th wheel doesn't seem to either increase or lessen the feel.

My only complaint about the back order is that the part is due in to the dealer two weeks after we depart for an extended RV venture so it will be late Oct or early Nov before I can get it installed.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:45 PM
67DART
Freshman User
TSB

My 2016 has no symptoms or vibration at all , any speed. Going to do it anyway,

13,000 miles on odometer, 6,000 of which was towing 26 travel trailer through the Rockies in BC.

Really like the Engine brake going down mountains, never had to touch the brakes and it would maintain speed.

SO far very happy with truck

Old 08-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad that Ford finally figured it out and has a fix for it.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Averill7
Senior User
TSB Completed

I was able to get my '16 longbed vibration thing added today. My local dealership had one in stock. In the two miles home at 42-50 mph, I can say that has eliminated 99.5% of the hopping that previous occurred. I am pleased!

Pics and video of how it works...the device actually floats (moves in 3 dimensions as well as rotational). See video as well.

Mounting bolts from the inside of frame well. Looks like they may have reused these bolts. not sure what exactly was here prior. Didn't take a picture prior.

View from below. Four rubber pads prevent the mass from striking sides. Mass supported by round rubber bushings.

Side View drivers side. Front to the left.

Video:

Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 AM
Averill7
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
except for how it might work!
I guess the center section moves with some part of the chassis, and the other part doesn't..
Uploading the video to YouTube now. Should be up shortly. Waiting on google to process

Quick Reply: NEW VIBRATION OR HOPPING TSB