6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Exhaust Filter Overload - Ford Unable to fix the problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 01:44 AM
S Frank
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Filter Overload - Ford Unable to fix the problem

HI, Maybe someone here can help me before I Lemon Law this somewhat new 2015 Ford F350. I am the original owner and the truck has 27,000 miles on it.

Problem: Mainly the dealer in Bishop, CA is unable to fix my truck after two visits in a week for the exact same issue. HELP! WTF am I supposed to do when the service department doesn't know how to fix my truck?

History of problem: Truck has run great until about two weeks ago. I was towing a heavy 5th wheel trailer from Bishop, CA down to the LA area. It was about 107 degrees that day. While passing a slower vehicle I sped up to about 65 MPH. After I completed my pass the dash gave me a quick warning about truck going into limited power mode. I lost almost all power and had to pull to the side of the road. THIS CREATED A VERY UNSAFE SITUATION. I turned the truck off and back on again. I had power, but not full power and the check engine light was on. A friend in another vehicle behind had a code reader. We checked it at the next off road and the error was code was P259F (something to do with the turbo). So I make it down to LA with no further incident. Towing Back to the Bishop area from LA I started getting dash messages about exhaust filter being overloaded and clean to drive ( I have been driving about 12 hours at this point...). All this while towing a 5th wheel. After about an hour of that message I start getting a message saying the exhaust filter is now over limited and to "service now". As I am towing the truck goes into limp mode and I have to pull over and stop the truck. I lose all turbo boost. This CREATED VERY UNSAFE DRIVING CONDITIONS THAT could have got someone killed. I restart the truck and get limited power. I was able to make it home.

I have had the truck into Ford in Bishop, CA twice. They have cleared the errors, done some programming updates per a "TSB" and forced a manual clean cycle. I get the truck back and drive it an hour home without issue and with full power. The next day I am towing a little Polaris RZR around and get the exact same scenario (limited power, dash messages about exhaust filter over limit - service now).

I have had my F350 into the dealer twice (an hour away) in the last week and a half. They gave it back to me yesterday and said Ford doesn't give them enough info on this known error. They just cleared the computer and gave me the truck back. Basically they said they didn't know what to fix until something broke. They tried to recreate the issue by towing a trailer around the dealership but they said the errors and limited power would not happen for them once they cleared the it.

So now next Monday I have to drive it back to Ford in Bishop AGAIN for the exact same issue. I am towing a RZR today on the highway at about 65 MPH towing a RZR and trailer when I get limited power and all the error messages.

I am pissed that I now have to go back to Ford a 3rd time in 2 weeks for a problem that said they don't know how to fix.

I see other have had this issue on this forum but I don't see anyone talking about what the fix was?

Is this a common problem with new Ford F350 6.7L Turbos? Has anyone filed any complaints about it with Ford, or the consumer protection agency? Having a truck towing a 5th wheel lose all power and go into limp mode when going up a hill in traffic creates a very dangerous situations. When I was a cop I remember having to clean up bad traffic accidents that were caused by vehicles getting stuck in traffic.

Who has any info on this? Thanks in Advance!

S Frank

Old 08-05-2016, 04:05 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
take paperwork and go to a different dealer.

contact Ford Area Representative

All American Auto Manufacturers offer Factory Tech Support for dealers to use.
your dealer is just not using/calling for help.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:01 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Yes, another dealer is needed. Also take a video. You know it is going to happen again so video it.

They need to call the hotline if they are unable to figure it out.

Not all have this issue.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:37 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 981 Likes on 755 Posts
the last time I dealt with the lemon law...the vehicle had to have accumalated 90 days of loss of service to you to be lemon law eligible.

one of the problems you are going to have is that you are stopping the clock if you take the truck into your posession if its not fixed. so if its not fixed..dont accept it back and let the clock continue to tick.

take the advice of others about other dealerships, looping in regional support.

make a lot of noise on the foums and the customer service people will step in and help you so that your "problem with 6.7" doesnt come up on potential buyers internet searches.

now my opinion, if you want to be able to tow 5th wheel stuff and pass vehicles at 65+ on grade, you need an f-450/f-550, based on me owning 250's, 350's, 450's and pulling large loads.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
take paperwork and go to a different dealer.
This is absolutely the best advice here.

Not all dealers are equal when it comes to diesel technicians.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree with the others , take it to a different dealer If your servicing dealer cant figure it out then it is time to try someone different, then

Contact Ford and get a case started and then they can start it on their end if you can't get it fixed. You'll have to update us on how this all progresses

Old 08-05-2016, 03:37 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by S Frank
HI, Maybe someone here can help me before I Lemon Law this somewhat new 2015 Ford F350. I am the original owner and the truck has 27,000 miles on it.

Problem: Mainly the dealer in Bishop, CA is unable to fix my truck after two visits in a week for the exact same issue. HELP! WTF am I supposed to do when the service department doesn't know how to fix my truck?

History of problem: Truck has run great until about two weeks ago. I was towing a heavy 5th wheel trailer from Bishop, CA down to the LA area. It was about 107 degrees that day. While passing a slower vehicle I sped up to about 65 MPH. After I completed my pass the dash gave me a quick warning about truck going into limited power mode. I lost almost all power and had to pull to the side of the road. THIS CREATED A VERY UNSAFE SITUATION. I turned the truck off and back on again. I had power, but not full power and the check engine light was on. A friend in another vehicle behind had a code reader. We checked it at the next off road and the error was code was P259F (something to do with the turbo). So I make it down to LA with no further incident. Towing Back to the Bishop area from LA I started getting dash messages about exhaust filter being overloaded and clean to drive ( I have been driving about 12 hours at this point...). All this while towing a 5th wheel. After about an hour of that message I start getting a message saying the exhaust filter is now over limited and to "service now". As I am towing the truck goes into limp mode and I have to pull over and stop the truck. I lose all turbo boost. This CREATED VERY UNSAFE DRIVING CONDITIONS THAT could have got someone killed. I restart the truck and get limited power. I was able to make it home.

I have had the truck into Ford in Bishop, CA twice. They have cleared the errors, done some programming updates per a "TSB" and forced a manual clean cycle. I get the truck back and drive it an hour home without issue and with full power. The next day I am towing a little Polaris RZR around and get the exact same scenario (limited power, dash messages about exhaust filter over limit - service now).

I have had my F350 into the dealer twice (an hour away) in the last week and a half. They gave it back to me yesterday and said Ford doesn't give them enough info on this known error. They just cleared the computer and gave me the truck back. Basically they said they didn't know what to fix until something broke. They tried to recreate the issue by towing a trailer around the dealership but they said the errors and limited power would not happen for them once they cleared the it.

So now next Monday I have to drive it back to Ford in Bishop AGAIN for the exact same issue. I am towing a RZR today on the highway at about 65 MPH towing a RZR and trailer when I get limited power and all the error messages.

I am pissed that I now have to go back to Ford a 3rd time in 2 weeks for a problem that said they don't know how to fix.

I see other have had this issue on this forum but I don't see anyone talking about what the fix was?

Is this a common problem with new Ford F350 6.7L Turbos? Has anyone filed any complaints about it with Ford, or the consumer protection agency? Having a truck towing a 5th wheel lose all power and go into limp mode when going up a hill in traffic creates a very dangerous situations. When I was a cop I remember having to clean up bad traffic accidents that were caused by vehicles getting stuck in traffic.

Who has any info on this? Thanks in Advance!

S Frank
Hi S Frank,

I know multiple repairs are frustrating; I'm here to help. Please send me a private message with your full name, phone number, VIN, and dealer info, and I'll check into avenues of assistance.

Rachel

Old 12-29-2016, 11:47 AM
Mo Jakey
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having yhe same problem!
I need help and Ford just wants to charge me and Stat it's my fault.
I think I have a lemon with multiple issues.
I have a 2015 f350 in one year I have spent $30,000.
Now I have a truck that Ford will not stand by with a
Truck payment.
Rachel....I would live to speak with you.
Monique.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:22 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 981 Likes on 755 Posts
the DPF system is pretty fragile and it does not take much to clog it up.

the regens dont clean so well while at the same time exposing your motor oil to fuel contamination.

6.0, 5.4, and 6.7 problems are not a secret....folks play the odds and assume since they "do the maint" bad things wont happen to them.

There are a lot of frustrated warranty owners out there and many of the trucks get flipped after the warranty.

many extended warranty owners are finding engine repairs not being covered.

these ford issues are not impossible to deal with ....just keep throwing money and time at it.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Delete kit problem now solved

Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mo Jakey
I am having yhe same problem!
I need help and Ford just wants to charge me and Stat it's my fault.
I think I have a lemon with multiple issues.
I have a 2015 f350 in one year I have spent $30,000.
Now I have a truck that Ford will not stand by with a
Truck payment.
Rachel....I would live to speak with you.
Monique.
Let's see how I can help, Monique. Is your F-350 at the dealer now? Please send me a private message with your full name, phone number, VIN, and current mileage.

Rachel

Old 12-29-2016, 02:02 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler

Agree with that. Sounds like a viable solution to a recurring problem.
Or fight the fight with service and get frustrated, irritated and agitated.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Moved to the 6.7L forum.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:02 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Let us know how it turns out and what they do to fix it. Hope that the new dealer is able to properly diagnose and repair it.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:27 PM
DeeDubz
More Turbo
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
He lives in CA.... he could delete it but it needs to be smoged every 2 yrs. Trust me thought about it as well.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Filter Overload - Ford Unable to fix the problem