1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

exhaust fabrication help

Old 08-04-2016, 04:16 PM
geoffthepilot
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust fabrication help

I am attempting to build my own exhaust piping on my 51 PU. I am using a cast iron manifold which was stock on older mustangs. So I'm not sure what the correct connection is to the flange. It looks like there is a machined inverted flare on the inside. two bolt flange. outside of the flare looks about 2.4" diameter and the inside about 2.0". Is it connected to a pipe that is like a ball and socket some how or is there a special gasket that sits in there. I hope you guys can help me out here.

Last edited by geoffthepilot; 08-04-2016 at 04:22 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 08-04-2016, 04:23 PM
geoffthepilot
Junior User

This is a little better view to show the flare in there.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:28 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I remember correctly the pipe had the same flare on it, backed up by a metal flange that squished the two together when the two bolts were tightend. Between the two was the donut, It was made of an asbestos type material, heck it could have been asbestos back then, that acted like a big heat resistant o-ring to seal the two flanges.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:40 PM
geoffthepilot
Junior User
That would make perfect sense. now its back to the internet on an asbestos hunt.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:43 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The pipe has the same flare as the manifold and, if done correctly, should have a piece of straight pipe pressed inside to keep the donut gasket centered and reduces exposure to hot exhaust gases. Donuts are available at any parts store or muffler shop.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:20 AM
geoffthepilot
Junior User
That sounds easy enough. do you think one of the ball and socket pipes would work on there. and just use half of it or do you think it needs to be a specific flare angle. or if anyone had a picture of such a thing it would make it that much easier to put together.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:46 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by geoffthepilot
That would make perfect sense. now its back to the internet on an asbestos hunt.
I used the same setup. Got the exhaust donut at NAPA. Just tell them it's for a 65 Mustang or take a manifold with you to match it up.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:56 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
here ya go

Old 08-05-2016, 05:52 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ball and socket = no. Simple flare, any muffler shop that can bend pipe should be able to make the flare in less than 30 seconds. I spent six years with Midas, many moons ago. I can appreciate trying to make your own but I wouldn't do it unless I had some bizarre plan. I guess after doing so many it's difficult to imagine spending so much time and effort doing it any other way. Good luck on ya!

BTW, you'll want fiber donuts, not the metal type shown above.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:33 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,111 Likes on 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by CBeav
Ball and socket = no. Simple flare, any muffler shop that can bend pipe should be able to make the flare in less than 30 seconds. I spent six years with Midas, many moons ago. I can appreciate trying to make your own but I wouldn't do it unless I had some bizarre plan. I guess after doing so many it's difficult to imagine spending so much time and effort doing it any other way. Good luck on ya!

BTW, you'll want fiber donuts, not the metal type shown above.
On the stock manifolds I have it looks as those donuts are part of the manifold and now that you said there are metal ones I'm wondering if they could be seized in the manifolds or did they make the manifolds that way. The manifolds are from an 1983 351w

Old 08-05-2016, 08:40 PM
The Outlaw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I ask why you're using cast iron ma idols instead of headers? Looks like you have a pretty modern upgrades to the engine. Fuel injection, electric distributor pulley system. Plus making your own exhaust. So why the cast iron manifold?

Old 08-05-2016, 08:46 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Not to answer for him but for me I watched a video where they beat the snot out of a pair of headers to prove that restrictions made on headers to clear for steering linkage made no difference so figure why spend $400-$800 on headers when stock manifolds do just as good of a job..

Old 08-05-2016, 08:51 PM
The Outlaw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very interesting. Never heard that before. I e always gone with the old thoughts that headers are just that much better. Thanks for the info!

Old 08-05-2016, 08:53 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
I can't remember where I seen it posted, think it was on here that someone posted it but it convinced me that headers were more for looks other than function.. it was a youtube clip though so might find it on there..

Old 08-06-2016, 12:43 AM
geoffthepilot
Junior User
Thank you guys for all the help. I went with the manifolds for a few reasons. lots of more room for the steering and all, they don't let as much heat out into the engine bay and I'm not so much looking for a bunch of power. trying to make a nice driver. also I would agree that the engine and all does look pretty dressed up with a lot of fancy do dads and such. that's not what I first set out to do. I'm out on the island of Kauai in Hawaii and there are not places to go to get old parts or places that will touch old stuff like these. No junk yards, So a lot of this stuf is ordered on line new stuff. The efi is to make it a fuel savy daily driver. I'm not super opposed to getting the work done for me at a shop but the best quote I have got so far was 1200 to make it. How much would that run you guys over there on the mainland? also @56Pannelford, I have an old set of manifolds for a 429 and they have the reverse flare cast into them. more of an outy than an inny.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust fabrication help