Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need new Transmission

Old 08-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Stormj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new Transmission

Hello All,
From reading about my issue on the various forums I have come to realize that I have a bad (or going bad) Mechanical Diode. And everyone seems to be in agreement that a rebuild or new tranny is in the cards. I have read quite a lot of good reviews about BTS Transmissions and may go down that road, but he 1200 miles from me so shipped would have to be the way to go. My main question to you all is does anyone know of a trust worthy person to do the work, say, within 200 miles of me. I live in Eastern CT, and I find most forum recommendations for shops are not in my area.

Thank you all for your input, suggestions, comments, and all around knowledge.

Storm

Old 08-04-2016, 10:22 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
So to clarify, are you looking for a reputable shop to rebuild your transmission, or to have BTS ship them one and install the BTS?

Old 08-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Stormj
New User
Either one, and any suggestions HKusp? I make no claims to knowing much about working on vehicles. So if you do, and suggest a rebuild is better or on par with BTS then that is what I will do. Looking for advice from those that know better than me on this subject.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:58 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
BTS is probably your best option. But then you would have to have it installed. Another good option would be a Ford HD reman. There are a few on here running a Ford HD pushing some pretty good Power.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:37 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
If the price of the BTS isn't cost prohibitive I would call Brian and see where their nearest authorized installer is and go that route. Route number 2, (the route I chose) is go to your nearest Ford dealership and buy the HD4R100 and find a decent shop close to you and have them install it. Any competent tranny shop should be able to do an installation for you. I also went with Schaeffers brand transmission fluid (that is what Brian at BTS recommends), and to get the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty from Ford, you are going to have to get the 6.0 tranny cooler.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:52 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-04-2016, 03:52 PM
7.3Excursion4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look up Corey at CNC FAB. He's in Ohio and has a local performance transmission builder who builds performance tranny's.
Might be a closer option for you

Old 09-26-2016, 06:36 PM
Stormj
New User
First I would like to thank 7.3Excursion4x4 for recommending Corey@CNC Fabrication

After checking a local transmission place a rebuild with an upgraded torque converter was going to cost me $4,217.40. After speaking with Corey at CNC Fabrication, my estimated costs for a Sam Wyse Stage 1, with a 6.0L cooler, and included fuel and hotel stay was $4,293.00. I am pretty sure everyone can agree, even if you are a non mechanic such as myself. That the Sam Wyse package deal is much better than the rebuild. Now as usual actual costs tend to be more than estimated, MPG was not as good as hoped, my father-in-law wanted to get out of the house and took the ride with me, google failed to tell me about the tolls, etc. So final cost out the door for the Stage 1 transmission, 6.0L cooler, install with Amsoil fluid, fuel, hotel, tolls, and grub ended up being $4,603.76. While there, I had Corey do some additional upgrades/maintenance on my baby. New Stainless Steel HPOP lines (considering mine were 16+ years old and had 194000 miles on them) Corey makes these himself and from a layman's point of view, they are beautiful piece of work. Sam Wyse mentioned that the Edge I had in the truck did not play well with his transmissions, so I removed that and had Corey put in the PHP Hydra 17 Position Chip.
I was very impressed with Corey's customer service. He offered to take me back to my hotel and pick me up when the vehicle was done, eliminating the cost of a rental or taxi. He made mention of a few things he noted when working on the truck that I should have looked at (which I would have had him repair if getting back to CT was not time sensitive for me). I found Corey a pleasure to converse with and would have loved to spend an evening swapping stories. He worked around my schedule for I did not have to have train someone to do my duties at the animal rescue I assist with.
Admittedly I was very sceptical to make the 1400+ round trip to have work done on my truck. But I am very glad I did. Clearly only time will tell if the new transmission will do me as well or better than the OEM. But I do not believe that people like Sam Wyse or Corey Hurtt get the reputations they have by putting out junk. So if you are on the fence, I can say from one person's opinion, swing by, make the trip, give them a call.

Storm Johnson

Old 08-07-2017, 10:33 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stormj
First I would like to thank 7.3Excursion4x4 for recommending Corey@CNC Fabrication

After checking a local transmission place a rebuild with an upgraded torque converter was going to cost me $4,217.40. After speaking with Corey at CNC Fabrication, my estimated costs for a Sam Wyse Stage 1, with a 6.0L cooler, and included fuel and hotel stay was $4,293.00. I am pretty sure everyone can agree, even if you are a non mechanic such as myself. That the Sam Wyse package deal is much better than the rebuild. Now as usual actual costs tend to be more than estimated, MPG was not as good as hoped, my father-in-law wanted to get out of the house and took the ride with me, google failed to tell me about the tolls, etc. So final cost out the door for the Stage 1 transmission, 6.0L cooler, install with Amsoil fluid, fuel, hotel, tolls, and grub ended up being $4,603.76. While there, I had Corey do some additional upgrades/maintenance on my baby. New Stainless Steel HPOP lines (considering mine were 16+ years old and had 194000 miles on them) Corey makes these himself and from a layman's point of view, they are beautiful piece of work. Sam Wyse mentioned that the Edge I had in the truck did not play well with his transmissions, so I removed that and had Corey put in the PHP Hydra 17 Position Chip.
I was very impressed with Corey's customer service. He offered to take me back to my hotel and pick me up when the vehicle was done, eliminating the cost of a rental or taxi. He made mention of a few things he noted when working on the truck that I should have looked at (which I would have had him repair if getting back to CT was not time sensitive for me). I found Corey a pleasure to converse with and would have loved to spend an evening swapping stories. He worked around my schedule for I did not have to have train someone to do my duties at the animal rescue I assist with.
Admittedly I was very sceptical to make the 1400+ round trip to have work done on my truck. But I am very glad I did. Clearly only time will tell if the new transmission will do me as well or better than the OEM. But I do not believe that people like Sam Wyse or Corey Hurtt get the reputations they have by putting out junk. So if you are on the fence, I can say from one person's opinion, swing by, make the trip, give them a call.

Storm Johnson
I know this is an old thread but I am currently gearing up towards replacing my transmission as well and came across Sam's products. Looking at a similar install to yours, with the only real differences being having my TS6 retuned rather than a hydra, and seeing as I'm most of the way across the country I would need to have the transmission shipped here and installed locally. Just wondering if you are still as satisfied with the product as you were initially?

Old 08-07-2017, 11:19 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by varminthunter243
I know this is an old thread but I am currently gearing up towards replacing my transmission as well and came across Sam's products. Looking at a similar install to yours, with the only real differences being having my TS6 retuned rather than a hydra, and seeing as I'm most of the way across the country I would need to have the transmission shipped here and installed locally. Just wondering if you are still as satisfied with the product as you were initially?

I see you're in NM, check out Best Western Transmission here in Colorado Springs. I had Jesse rebuild my transmission and they did a great job. My truck is 100% tow rig and I explained what I wanted. He suggested a triple disc TQ, with Shift Kit. The individual that rebuilt my transmission has been doing it for over 30 years. Their reviews speak for themselves, 4.9 out of 181. Out the door was $3800 w/ 3 year UNLIMITED mileage warranty. They offer lifetime warranty too but just didn't think I'd need that.
The other shop here want $3900 but only offered 18 months/18K warranty.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Best...#istate=kp:xpd

Old 08-07-2017, 11:33 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Originally Posted by Colorado350
I see you're in NM, check out Best Western Transmission here in Colorado Springs. I had Jesse rebuild my transmission and they did a great job. My truck is 100% tow rig and I explained what I wanted. He suggested a triple disc TQ, with Shift Kit. The individual that rebuilt my transmission has been doing it for over 30 years. Their reviews speak for themselves, 4.9 out of 181. Out the door was $3800 w/ 3 year UNLIMITED mileage warranty. They offer lifetime warranty too but just didn't think I'd need that.
The other shop here want $3900 but only offered 18 months/18K warranty.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Best...#istate=kp:xpd
That info is very much apprecited! I'm still a ways out from pulling the trigger but I don't want to have to do this twice so I am gathering as much Intel as I can! Thanks

Old 11-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Stormj1
New User
To varminthunter243

Sorry for he late reply varminthunter243, I have been recovering from an assault and have just lately been able to get online and go though the thousands of emails I have missed.
Yes, I am still very satisfied with my purchase and would still recommend Corey. Hopefully nothing has “eaten” anything in my truck these last 10 months while I am learning to walk again.
Hope your upgrade goes well.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:17 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormj1
Sorry for he late reply varminthunter243, I have been recovering from an assault and have just lately been able to get online and go though the thousands of emails I have missed.
Yes, I am still very satisfied with my purchase and would still recommend Corey. Hopefully nothing has “eaten” anything in my truck these last 10 months while I am learning to walk again.
Hope your upgrade goes well.
That sounds horrible, I wish you well.