1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Ford econoline 100 1982 Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 11:47 PM
victor juan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford econoline 100 1982 Help

This is my first post I need help I have a Ford Econoline 100 1982 I currently bought
this van to convert it in to my home and go on the road. Im having starting problem. Its smooking black really bad and I have an Idle problem the van wont stay on if I dont push on the gas. My car wont start if I have the air filter on. Need help!!!

Old 08-03-2016, 05:24 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Did you know about these problems when you bought it?

That van is very very very (very very) old, you should prepare yourself for a LOT more problems.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:07 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

What size motor do you have and is it a 1,2, or 4 barrel carb? did it set a long time before you bought it or was it in use? If it sat for a while, how old is the gas in the tank? Could be as simple as bad gas.
If not...
Right off the bat it sounds like the choke may be closed. There is a choke pull off that is operated by vacuum. once the engine is started, the pull off opens the choke just enough so that it wont flood out. So, the first thing I would look at is to see if the choke is staying closed all the way and go from there. Black smoke is usually a sign of the engine flooding out. Use something to prop the choke opened and try to start engine. Make sure that what ever you use to prop the choke open is big enough to where it will not be able to fall down inside the carb...

As to old vans and maintenance, much depends on the PO and what you do from here. The 1982 is fairly simple compared to more modern vanscontrolled by electronics.
I have a 1988 which I use as a daily driver but it only had 100K on the van when I bought it and the PO had kept the van up in good shape, It sat for perhaps 15 years before I bought it and so, much of the work I have done on mine has been preventative maintenance. Most anything rubber is probably worn or dry rotting depending on the past owners maintenance.

My mother drives a 1978 e100 bought with low mileage back in 1984 and it has been the most dependable car she has owned. She still drives at 90 years old and makes a 100 mile round trip every month along with her local runs. Almost 200K on it now and over the years has needed very very very little maintenance.

50Fast has a business and depends on the van for his living. I also use mine for a service but it is not as critical has his business and I have time to work on mine myself which keeps the cost way down compared to taking it to a shop.
Example: $400 to have brake pads, shoes, rotors and drums turned, and one wheel cylinder replaced on my Saturn. I could have almost completely rebuilt the brake system with new parts for that price if I had done it myself.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:37 PM
victor juan
New User
Ford econoline 100 1982

Thanks you guys I have a I6 engine with a single barrel carbs. Im having trouble getting it to start with the air filter on. I replace the original filter it was in really bad shape with a new spectre air cleaner. It was having the idle problem and the smoke problem when I bought it. I really dont know much about the past owner but I know they replace the spark plugs and cables. The battery is 1 month old and I already replace the alternador but the battery is running out of power? How can I tune my carb and check my choke problem? Im kind of new in the carb world I always had fuel ingection.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:28 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Maybe you're not cranking fast enough LOL

External starter lol

Old 08-03-2016, 11:40 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Well I am not the best person to give advice on adjusting the the carb on a I6 as most of my experience is with 302 engines with 2bbls but since no one else has chimed in yet, here is some info that might help.

some more questions first.
First, have you been driving the van and if so, how much, and how does it run when driving?
Does it smoke after the engine is warmed up?
Does the choke open 1/8 to 3/16 when you first start the van?
Have you tried propping the choke open about 1/8 to 3/16 when starting the van cold?
I guess you have the engine cover off for easier access?

You should have a part on the carb that looks much like this:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....110014&jsn=443

It is the choke pull off and has a vacuum line going to it. When the engine first starts, vacuum causes the choke pull off to open the choke just a little. IT not at all, the engine will flood out and die. If it doesn't open enough, it may run but will flood out and give off black smoke. The choke pull off has a rubber diaphragm in it that can go bad or you could have a bad vacuum line. I am not sure how you adjust the choke pull down on your carb. mine has an adjustment screw on the pull off itself, yours doesn't appear to so it would have to be somewhere in the linkage from the pull down to the choke.
Another problem could be the choke or linkage could be sticking. Use some carb cleaner and spray the linkage and all. work the linkages while you do this.
Once you start the engine manually open or close the choke a little to see how the engine reacts. You can use your fingers but I like to use a screwdriver in case the engine was to backfire, it wont burn your fingers.

here are two links that might help

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ent-101-a.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tock-carb.html

I also looked up the carbs that Rock auto lists and there are 3 different types listed for your van. It looks like if it has Canadian emissions, it will have a electronic controlled feedback carburetor. It should look like this one:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tock-carb.html

If it is does not have Canadian emissions, it will look like one of these two:
With AC,,
More Information for AUTOLINE C6247

Without AC
More Information for AUTOLINE C6246

The easiest way to tell if it is a feedback or non-feedback carb is that the feedback carb has 2 different wire connectors. One is for the automatic choke heater and the other is for a solenoid that controls the air mixture.

The non-feedback carb will have a single electrical that goes to the choke heater.

So we need to determine the type of carb on your van but both will have the same type of choke adjustments if the choke is the problem.

Another thing that can cause flooding and black smoke is the float or needle valve inside the crab. can allow too much fuel. The newer gas with ethanol if hard on the older carbs and can ruin float needle valve rubber tip.
The ethanol gas also draws moisture if it sits for extended periods and you will have water in the gas tank and possibly the carb fuel bowl. We have a 77 truck that sits a few months at a time and learned that the hard way, the carb was full of corrosion.

So first check the choke and make sure it is opening a little when the engine first starts up. Does it run after it warms up?

You could have bad gas and need to dump the gas tank and clean it out.

As to the battery problem.. If you are not driving the van, one thing at a time.. It could be you are cranking the van more then it is running and just hasn't charged the battery. If you are driving it daily, that is a different issue...

Old 08-04-2016, 02:13 AM
Toppa
Senior User
sorry mate, i really dont wanna' bother you but this sounds like an Bouquet of ****. If you stuck with These Problems you may should sell the van. may you should start with an easier Project... dont be mad, may hurts but better sell know before you waiste more money