1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay what's it worth ????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:27 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
where are you located ?

that truck would look real good in my drive way

Your itching to get back to a V10 anyway!!

Don't know what you got till its GONE!!

Old 08-03-2016, 09:08 AM
kcducttaper
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Man, that's a tough one. Personally, I think I'd keep it unless it's actually not suitable for whatever you want a new pickup for. Those early models are hard to come by in that kind of shape. If you're dead set on getting a newer pickup, personally I probably list around $18k and not budge under $15k.

I've got my Grandpa's '99 F-250 5.4L that he bought brand-new in '98. It's literally just like new on the inside and has been kept in a garage all its life. It has no rust at all and everything works perfectly with just barely over 50k on the clock now. I'm putting a little bit of money into it to make it 'mine', but I intend to keep it as long as I realistically can. Partially for sentimental value, but also because it's just a dang good truck and super cheap to tax and insure.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
It is worth what someone will pay for it and how long you will wait for your asking price! Why do you think trucks are 50k+? Because people are paying for them. I bought mine 4 yrs ago with 70k miles on it for $14k (booked for $23k at the time of purchase private party)and not one thing wrong with it. And have put another 30k miles on it without issue other than normal wear and tear. It now has 103K miles on it and was offered $15k for it a few months ago. The V10 trucks are hard to come by and the population that has knowledge of their issues and the durability of the platform, are seeking for themselves. I will not sell mine and buy new. Its not worth having a $5-600+ payment a month. I suggest you keep it unless the itch is more than the scratch can appease! Just my worthless $.02!!

Old 08-03-2016, 10:46 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Keep in mind that trucks, or vehicles in general, are not an investment. None of them hold their value and the main reason people buy a new vehicle is for the simple reason they are tired of the one they are driving and want to have something new.
That being said, if you just want a new vehicle then buy one if you can afford it. If not, then keep the truck you have and enjoy it.
Case in point, I traded my perfectly capable and pristine 2007 Tundra with 80,000 miles on the Super Duty I just picked up in May. I did not need a new truck but I was ready for something new, nothing more nothing less.
BTW, that truck you have is very nice looking for sure and I think Frantz makes a good point on trading it in if that is the direction you go. If you don't get over and above what you will save in sales tax by selling it yourself, you are better off trading it in.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:02 AM
kcducttaper
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WyoBull
If you don't get over and above what you will save in sales tax by selling it yourself, you are better off trading it in.
You must have better trade-in offers than I. In my experience, dealers won't offer much more than 50-70% of a car's value on a trade-in, so I've given up trading anything in as they totally try to rip me off.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:04 PM
SLDNX
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for all the comments!!

I'm planning on looking some more as I am not in a huge hurry. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love the truck and it has been great but......it would just be nice to upgrade again and start a new project. Is it "needed" ...no, financially is it doable, yes, otherwise I wouldn't even be talking about it.

Wife says to do it and get it done but I don't like just jumping into things. I like to weigh out options and do it right as this truck will be around for the next 10 years or so again.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:11 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
KBB here says $14,428
NADA $13,700

That would be about right for a Lariet on a dealers lot in the NY/NJ are.

Difficulty would be to get the truck financed....banks tend to shy away from 5year old plus vehicles.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:14 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Diamnd1
Your itching to get back to a V10 anyway!!

Don't know what you got till its GONE!!
you know it...the second biggest mistake I ever made was getting rid of my 2008 f-350 V-10 crew cab long bed with 60K or so miles.

the #1 biggest mistake was the 6.4L i took home that day.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:14 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Difficulty would be to get the truck financed....banks tend to shy away from 5year old plus vehicles.

Usually a credit union will finance up to 10 yr old but term will be 3yrs or less. The buyer would have to have ALOT of cash or accept a big payment.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:18 PM
SLDNX
Senior User
That would be about right for a Lariet on a dealers lot in the NY/NJ are.

Banks around here don't really "stay away" from 5 year old plus vehicles, but they do tend to have slightly higher interest rates. From a banking stand point, there's no reason to stay away from these, when there is a high percentage of vehicles in the 5 to 7 years old being purchased. After all the newer ones are getting higher priced all the time!!!

Old 08-03-2016, 03:10 PM
vonwolf
New User
It is a tough call I got $29,800 for a 2009 Escalade with 42,000 miles I couldn't see anyone buying these things new for 80 grand while there were 2015's going for $30-$40 grand at the time. Somehow the low mile and excellent condition and I got stupid money for a 6-year-old Cadillac. Your truck is like a unicorn, low-low miles on a beautiful '02 it would be hard to show any comparisons, it sounds like you've had some good offers.

If it's been a good truck for you, it might be worth purchasing an extended warranty, upgrade some of the things a newer truck might have, keep the truck and not take on the payments of a new truck. It does look like a nice truck!

Old 08-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The reality is is that you're going to lose so much in depreciation on the new truck in the first year (whether it's a 16 or 17) that a grand or two difference on what you sell or trade the old one at is inconsequential. So if you want a new truck, don't sweat it to much on what the old one fetches. Just do it. Like ripping off a bandage. Lol.

I would never sell that truck if it was mine, and I had bought it new.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:19 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by kcducttaper
You must have better trade-in offers than I. In my experience, dealers won't offer much more than 50-70% of a car's value on a trade-in, so I've given up trading anything in as they totally try to rip me off.
You definitely have to negotiate hard with them. But at the same time, what is your time worth when it comes to doing all the things it takes to sell your own vehicle? It depends on a lot of factors.
When I finally traded my Tundra, I had placed it on a busy street in front of a grocery store where a number of private sellers park their vehicles they have for sale.
I parked it there for 4 weekends in a row and never even got a call. The Tundra's are very popular vehicles around here and hold their value very well. Problem is the oil, gas and coal business completely tanked in our state and the economy is not good. A year ago I could have sold that truck for well above private party seller value in KBB but not today. I got the dealer within $1500 dollars of that KBB number and at that point it made it worth trading.
Each situation, vehicle and timing will be different. The dealer knew my Tundra would bring a premium price so they gave me more on trade. If I had walked in with a Dodge, it would have been a different story.
The point I was making, as was Frantz, is that you don't pay sales tax on your trade in value so if you can get close enough on your trade in value to cover that tax amount then it makes sense to trade it in.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:35 AM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow smokin truck thanks for the pics!!!!!! Definitely put it out there for twenty see if someone can come up with eighteen or nineteen!! That truck could be in a calendar.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:50 PM
SLDNX
Senior User
Well, if I can close the deal on a 2016 I have it sold to a good friend for 18,500.

Now lets see if I can get the deal closed!!

Quick Reply: Okay what's it worth ????????