1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.2... Wake up!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:51 PM
Hoss416
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spamfritter
I'm not trying to start anything, but in my experience the diesel engine is better in every way but cost of ownership. I drove the 6.2L gas engine in basically the same configuration I have and it was a dog comparatively. It was slower to accelerate, didn't have the same passing power and overall felt sluggish to me. Again, the quarter mile times show them to be much closer than I'd have imagined but the 6.7L still leads when it's all said and done. At least the newer version of it does anyway. This is on factory vehicles I test drove two weeks ago. With tuning it would be even worse.

Anyway, we are getting off track and I'm pretty sure that's my fault. I was simply responding to the post and the idea that the 6.2L engine was faster because it isn't.
Quarter mile times on a truck meant for longevity. Felt sluggish, compared to what? I like the diesels, but I don't get why you want to own one, besides pride.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:29 AM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss416
Quarter mile times on a truck meant for longevity. Felt sluggish, compared to what? I like the diesels, but I don't get why you want to own one, besides pride.
Yes, I understand the purpose of these trucks is not drag racing. Still, I enjoy a little pep out of my daily driver. The 6.2L CCSB I drove felt sluggish compared to the 2014 and 2015+ F-150's I've driven. (2.7L EB, 3.5L EB, 5.0L V8 etc.) It felt sluggish compared to the 6.7L diesel trucks. They pull hard without having to wind the **** out of the engine and keep pulling through the RPM ranges. When you drop the hammer down on a 6.2L truck it takes awhile for it to get up to speed.

I drove both in the last couple of weeks. That's how the 6.2L truck felt to me. Again the quarter mile times back up that feeling, although I was certain the difference in 1/4 times would have been larger than it seems to be.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:09 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Add @1500 lbs to any f150 with those motors and a program that's is geared more towards heavy towing vs speed or even daily driving, and they would not feel as strong as a 6.2 except maybe the 3.5. It would probably run with it, and I would buy a 250 with the ecoboost. Ask anyone that has a 6.2 in a f150 and see if they think it's sluggish.

The newest 6.7's may be a tad quicker than a 6.2, but the difference is very very small. Just like my truck being quicker than my bosses '12 is small. the 6.7 has a more rewarding feel because of the monstrous torque. And the short rpm range lets it click off gears quicker, but also allows the 6.2 run with it.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:17 AM
GotLift
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I got my first tow in. Pulled our TT about 200 miles with a 3000 ft elevation change. I was actually pleasantly surprised! This 6.2 is a beast! It pulled great throughout the gears. The only thing I thought it could do better is downshift from 3rd to 2nd quicker on a steep incline. It would be doing 70 and hit the hill, down shift to 3rd and hold 4000 RPM until it dropped speed before shifting to 2nd at 5500 RPM. I think it would maintain speed if it down shifted a little sooner.

Thirsty as hell at 7MPG, but I was pushing it and it was mostly uphill.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ron94150
Add @1500 lbs to any f150 with those motors and a program that's is geared more towards heavy towing vs speed or even daily driving, and they would not feel as strong as a 6.2 except maybe the 3.5. It would probably run with it, and I would buy a 250 with the ecoboost. Ask anyone that has a 6.2 in a f150 and see if they think it's sluggish.

The newest 6.7's may be a tad quicker than a 6.2, but the difference is very very small. Just like my truck being quicker than my bosses '12 is small. the 6.7 has a more rewarding feel because of the monstrous torque. And the short rpm range lets it click off gears quicker, but also allows the 6.2 run with it.
A 6.2L engine in the F-150 is no doubt a beast. The 2014 F-150's weigh over 1,000lbs. or more less than the Super Duty so I would hope so. Aside, from that I can agree with the above for the most part. I wouldn't buy an F-250 with a 3.5L EB engine. It would get worse gas mileage than the 6.2L engines do.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a nice thought but some trucks can't be ordered that way. My 2016 F-250 Lariat with the FX4 package couldn't be ordered with anything over 3.55 gears. Try it out on the Ford site and build your own. It's a no go with a CCSB, 6.7L engine and the FX4 package.
You seem confused. The 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel has nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion. We're exclusively talking about the 6.2L gasoline engine.

5 Star is correct. It's called the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. The burden of proof in this case is on Ford.
That is true, but what makes people nervous is that most don't have or at least don't want to apply the resources required to push the issue with legal representation if they feel Ford's standards of "proof" aren't sufficient.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:14 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
30 or 40 thousand dollars, or 30 or 40 gallons? 40 gallons equals 120 bucks (worst case scenario US). 30 or 40 thousand dollars, US or Canadian is a total loss. Why would you say that he made a bad decision? Over four years of driving, how much would he recuperate?
I bought my '11 a year ago For $18,900, so closer to $40,000+ in five years the previous owner lost over 125,000miles. Based on he paid just shy of 60g Canadian or close to it as the window sticker is in the glove box still and then all of the extras that are on this truck visible and invisible. Pushing 10g.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Originally Posted by Firekite
You seem confused. The 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel has nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion. We're exclusively talking about the 6.2L gasoline engine.

That is true, but what makes people nervous is that most don't have or at least don't want to apply the resources required to push the issue with legal representation if they feel Ford's standards of "proof" aren't sufficient.
I was simply stating that some configurations can't be ordered with 4.30 gears. This was in response to a comment that such gears should always be selected. No mention of the engine was in that post but I see your point.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Again, I will refer back to my first post. If you want to drag race a 7k lb truck. Go to one of those (diesel) sites and get a response every couple of days. I value this site because most members were trying to help others with issues, not to make their trucks into 7 second drag queens. Maybe I am a slowpoke, I definitely was when I was pulling 65k over the blues. But I was safe, and I didn't base my manhood on how fast I was going.
No offense man but who are you to tell me where to go and what to post? I regularly contribute here and try to genuinely help people out that come with problems as best I can. Just because I like something different, or want to have some fun with my truck or use it differently than you, you take exception to that?

I have a farm and a snowplow business. I own all the trucks in my signature and work them regularly and they make me money. I also play in them like a sixteen year old kid sometimes too. That's my choice.

Last edited by Squisher; 08-05-2016 at 10:27 AM. Reason: I recant my psycho statement.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:34 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by GotLift
Well, I got my first tow in. Pulled our TT about 200 miles with a 3000 ft elevation change. I was actually pleasantly surprised! This 6.2 is a beast! It pulled great throughout the gears. The only thing I thought it could do better is downshift from 3rd to 2nd quicker on a steep incline. It would be doing 70 and hit the hill, down shift to 3rd and hold 4000 RPM until it dropped speed before shifting to 2nd at 5500 RPM. I think it would maintain speed if it down shifted a little sooner.

Thirsty as hell at 7MPG, but I was pushing it and it was mostly uphill.
How much does your TT weigh? I missed it if you posted it earlier, amidst all the huffing and puffing that has taken over your thread. Lol. Glad it did well for you. 7mpg, you must've been pushing it.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How and why did someone contaminate this discussion with 6.7L comparisons?

Gas, diesel, CNG, propane, electric, whatever, it's always a question of comfort, capacity, and safety to have more power that's available more quickly. Whether empty or at the max loads (or over max load, let's be honest), you still need to hit the on ramp and reach merging speeds (which can be 85 mph in some parts of Texas at least--and sometimes those areas have the most abbreviated on-ramps), get through an intersection, pass someone, and so on.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Exactly this thread is about the 6.2 and how to wake it up some from stock. Nothing wrong with it. Everyone knows there's not the gains to be had with a gasser with things like intake, exhaust, and tuning. But you still do get some gain(ok maybe not with a CAI). When I posted up earlier about exhaust mods its because I truly believe dropping the cats makes a hell of a difference, especially as mileage goes up, cats clog up. They get worse and worse(more restrictive) until either they start throwing codes or they 'fail'. One of the only issues I've read of this motor was people having an entire bank of the motor go down due to a failed cat. How do you think the flow was for the 50,000m before that cat failed completely? I know people say if the motor is running proper the cat shouldn't foul, but in the real world that doesn't seem to happen. They wear out no matter how well the motor runs.

I've read back now Hoss and see your exception to my comments comes from the comments on gearing. Have you ever re-geared a truck? No one is lying their whatever point of contact off you mentioned earlier. Lower gears get more power to the ground, pull harder, accelerate faster. Period.

You may be perfectly happy with your long lived bone stock 3.73 geared truck and I'm happy for you. But this thread is/was about waking up the 6.2, not about making it last forever with the best economy. The OP already mentioned he isn't going to re-gear a new truck, I wouldn't either. But at the first sign of trouble or if a 'deal' falls into my lap I'd re-gear in a heartbeat.

Many people like a quicker feeling superduty,not to mention making it custom to themselves. I'm still in seventh heaven from finding my truck. Deal of the century for me, I pinch myself daily when I drive it. Tuning, exhaust, suspension mods, exterior mods. I love all that stuff, and especially because I didn't have to pay for any of it is just the icing on the cake for me.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Spamfritter
Senior User
Originally Posted by Squisher
Exactly this thread is about the 6.2 and how to wake it up some from stock. Nothing wrong with it. Everyone knows there's not the gains to be had with a gasser with things like intake, exhaust, and tuning. But you still do get some gain(ok maybe not with a CAI). When I posted up earlier about exhaust mods its because I truly believe dropping the cats makes a hell of a difference, especially as mileage goes up, cats clog up. They get worse and worse(more restrictive) until either they start throwing codes or they 'fail'. One of the only issues I've read of this motor was people having an entire bank of the motor go down due to a failed cat. How do you think the flow was for the 50,000m before that cat failed completely? I know people say if the motor is running proper the cat shouldn't foul, but in the real world that doesn't seem to happen. They wear out no matter how well the motor runs.

I've read back now Hoss and see your exception to my comments comes from the comments on gearing. Have you ever re-geared a truck? No one is lying their whatever point of contact off you mentioned earlier. Lower gears get more power to the ground, pull harder, accelerate faster. Period.

You may be perfectly happy with your long lived bone stock 3.73 geared truck and I'm happy for you. But this thread is/was about waking up the 6.2, not about making it last forever with the best economy. The OP already mentioned he isn't going to re-gear a new truck, I wouldn't either. But at the first sign of trouble or if a 'deal' falls into my lap I'd re-gear in a heartbeat.

Many people like a quicker feeling superduty,not to mention making it custom to themselves. I'm still in seventh heaven from finding my truck. Deal of the century for me, I pinch myself daily when I drive it. Tuning, exhaust, suspension mods, exterior mods. I love all that stuff, and especially because I didn't have to pay for any of it is just the icing on the cake for me.
The diesel comparison is in part my fault. I apologize for that. I was responding to the comment that the 6.2L engine was faster than a 6.7L diesel and it ballooned from that.

Back to the matter at hand. The re-gearing makes a huge difference in how any vehicle accelerates and gave examples of that above. If you don't want to believe that or don't want to take my word for it all you need to do is visit your local dealership. Test drive two of the same vehicle with the same engine and different gearing. You will see a difference on opposite ends of the spectrum. A 3.15 and 3.31 car may not be discernible from one another, but a 3.31 vs. a 3.73 car will be. 3.31 vs. 4.30 in the trucks will be huge. While it's expensive to re-gear, especially if you have a 4-wheel drive its probably the most effective thing you can do short of a supercharger or turbocharger. Not every engine necessarily benefits that much from dropping the cats, replacing the manifolds and changing the exhaust. It all depends on what's there to begin with. I am not sure what the exhaust of the 6.2L trucks looks like as I've never crawled under one that wasn't a diesel. While tuning has a limited effect on most gas engines, I've heard that it does indeed do wonders for the 6.2L.

As to the comments about racing trucks, I don't know about you but I like my trucks to be fun as well as work hard. The OP never indicated that he wanted to take the thing to the track or race Mustangs. He just wants a bit more pep in it if I understand the original post correctly. Comments about exhaust, tuning and other things not impacting that are simply off base. These are tried and true methods for getting more power and torque out of any engine.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by GotLift
Thanks again for all the feedback. Definitely good discussion. I called 5 Star and put in an order.

I bought the 6.2L because I didn't want to pay extra for the 6.7L or the added maintenance. I'm not going to regear it, put in a new exhaust, and all the other upgrades to try to make it more like a 6.7L when I could have bought the 6.7L for two or three thousand more than all the upgrades would end up costing me. After speaking to 5 Star I think I will be happy with the result. If not, then I'll sell the truck and buy a diesel.
Sorry guys, I brought up the 6.7. Slap my hand. But the last line of this quote from the op is why I brought it up.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:12 PM
GotLift
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Squisher
How much does your TT weigh? I missed it if you posted it earlier, amidst all the huffing and puffing that has taken over your thread. Lol. Glad it did well for you. 7mpg, you must've been pushing it.
I'm estimating around 8500-9000lbs without water.

Quick Reply: 6.2... Wake up!