Sponsored by:

New Ford/bronco owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:43 AM
mattyg
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pkupman82
The bellhousing from the 400 is different. However the bellhousings on the older 4 speeds are detachable. Everything else will work, but you will need to acquire a bellhousing from either a 300 inline six, or 302/351w. Your best bet would be to find the aluminum one from an 84-86 truck or Bronco. This will have the provisions for a hydraulic clutch setup. Then you locate a clutch/brake pedal assembly for a 92-96 truck or Bronco (pretty common) and you should be in business. Also the t-case from that 83 will most likely be the NP208. Fortunately Ford NP205s are pretty common, and will bolt right up with only slight modification of the intermediate housing. Hope this helps.
Ok the 84-86 bell housing is desired because it is aluminum and setup for hydraulic clutch? Will other year iron BHs have the hydraulic clutch provisions? Also will the clutch and flywheel work from a 400? I'm sure all this info is out there, but since I have you here.... I'm gonna ask buddy for just the tranny if that's the case.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:48 AM
mattyg
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Zip
Looks like you are making some good progress. Keep it up, it should be a pretty nice ride once finished.

I as well am a Bronco owner (79) and a BC'er as well.
Ha! Thanks! "Nice" is subjective though. She will be functional, safe and reliable when I'm done. Just need to get that soul sucking power sponge auto out of there!!

Old 08-03-2016, 12:26 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyg
Ha! Thanks! "Nice" is subjective though. She will be functional, safe and reliable when I'm done. Just need to get that soul sucking power sponge auto out of there!!

Ya before you know it she'll be a pavement princess like mine.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok the 84-86 bell housing is desired because it is aluminum and setup for hydraulic clutch? Will other year iron BHs have the hydraulic clutch provisions? Also will the clutch and flywheel work from a 400? I'm sure all this info is out there, but since I have you here.... I'm gonna ask buddy for just the tranny if that's the case.
I believe Ford did away with the iron bellhousings, as more of a weight savings. I suppose you could probably make an iron bellhousing work with the juice clutch, it may require some engineering on your part. I mainly recommended that setup because the hydraulic clutches are easier to drive. It will be much easier to adapt into your truck. The mounting location for the clutch master cylinder is already cut out in the firewall. Install the pedal assembly, hookup the master cylinder, run the hydraulic line down to the slave; bleed it out and you should be in business. Not to mention all the moving parts that come with the old mechanical setup, there are more wear points. To add to that locating all pieces and parts to make it work correctly could be a challenge. The 400 flywheel, if I remember correctly will not work. Not sure on the clutch. That may be something you want to buy new anyway. The flywheel may be sourced from your local junkyard, a lot of base model F250s and F350s came with the 351w and a manual transmission. If you're lucky, you might stumble upon a ZF 5 speed. I swapped one of those into my old 96 F150 300 six 4wd. I absolutely loved it, killer low first gear and overdrive. That truck was equally at home in the woods as well as on the highway. I miss that truck.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:39 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the new bronco and welcome to the forum. There are so many things about the bronco that don't make a lick of sense and will drive you nuts, but it will grow on you and you won't ever want to get rid of it

Old 08-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Originally Posted by phillips91
Congrats on the new bronco and welcome to the forum. There are so many things about the bronco that don't make a lick of sense and will drive you nuts, but it will grow on you and you won't ever want to get rid of it
Yeah, they definitely grow on you very quickly. Lately I've had thoughts of parting ways with my 79. Then I jump up in it and hear and feel the power of the 460, I can't help but grin a little every time I hear the pipes. Not to mention, these rigs get looks and attention. Some good, some not so much. And it doesn't matter if it's bone stock, rust bucket, wheeler, or a show truck. Everywhere you go with a Bronco, there is always someone who takes notice of them. My wife and I get a kick out of taking ours out for a cruise through town or down by the beach. It ain't pretty but it still gets a lot of looks and thumbs up from people. After having owned a Bronco for several years, I would say they are probably the best all around 4x4s out there.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:17 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to camp in the back of mine a lot. You'd roll the window down and get in the back. Then quickly realize you had no way to roll it back up, so you climb over the seats to roll it up from the front. Then climb back over the seats to the back. Fold the back seat up to get more room and the latch is dead center where you are laying down instead of on the sides.

Same with the tailgate. Roll down window, open spare tire rack and tailgate, prop grocery cart against it to keep it from hitting car next to you, etc.

I love the fold flat floors, rear window and tailgate and ease of entry for back row passengers in my expedition, but if I had to trade one then the bronco is staying right where it's at. My wife knows she will go before it does, so she only asked to get rid of it one time lol.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Anyone know what RA theses are?

They look similar to Superlift arms I have on my 84 F150. Being they are red, my first guess would be Rancho or Skyjacker.

Old 08-05-2016, 03:18 PM
mattyg
Freshman User
Is been a few days since I updated this thread
Waiting on my new body mounts so I removed the core support and started repairing it. Just picked up my welder from a friend so things should start moving along again.

The FSM said I needed to drain the rad to get the core support out...pfff, what do they know.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:07 AM
mattyg
Freshman User
Well, pretty much have the truck back together. Just need to drill some holes for the bumper and bolt it on.
I'm liking it much better(at least the looks) without the hokey body lift. Hoping to drive it to work tomorrow.

How I got it

Lots of room still, should be able to fit 37s with some trimming

The bumper wasn't built for a bronco, I might end up removing the upper outer tubes later on.

My other toy, I'll be installing a 3" lift on her next week.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:09 PM
mattyg
Freshman User
All together!! Took it for a scoot, soaks up the bumps nicely and it's much quieter without the body flopping around.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:09 AM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
All together!! Took it for a scoot, soaks up the bumps nicely and it's much quieter without the body flopping around.

Looks great, you do nice work!

Old 08-12-2016, 05:02 PM
mattyg
Freshman User
Inline 6?
Looking at this 90 f150 as a parts truck. Has a 4 speed, i6, 4x4
Worth it??
Is the i6 4 speed combo a good match for a bush truck?
1990 ford f150 4x4 Sooke, Victoria - MOBILE

Old 08-12-2016, 06:39 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Inline 6?
Looking at this 90 f150 as a parts truck. Has a 4 speed, i6, 4x4
Worth it??
Is the i6 4 speed combo a good match for a bush truck?
1990 ford f150 4x4 Sooke, Victoria - MOBILE
I have a good many years of 4 wheeling with a 300 six/granny 4 speed. The Ford 300 six is a personal favorite of mine. They are very reliable and durable, much like the 4.0 Jeep six. They have excellent torque at low rpm, they really shine with a manual transmission and the right axle gearing. I actually prefer the 300 six over the 302 V8 in a 4x4/truck application.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:54 PM
mattyg
Freshman User
With this gear swap over relatively easy? (keeping in mind I'm somewhat mechanically capable)

Quick Reply: New Ford/bronco owner