Toy Hauler Tie Downs

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Dakar Dad
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well with them being recessed, my wife just throws a piece of carpet down over the ones that we step on in the path of traffic.
What I did notice on mine is each one that I replaced, was they put each one over a frame joist and had each one bolted to it.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:38 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
So far I've added five new tie downs. Three on the curb side and two on the street side. The curb side ones are behind the rear ATV tire, between front and rear tires and then in front of the front tire. The street side is the same except for the one in front of the front tire. I can't get that one because the fresh water tank is in the way.

This was a rather time consuming process. The rear most tie downs were (relatively) easy. The others have been challenging due to being difficult to get at from the underside and the length of the bolts and drill bit required. The rear most tie downs used short bolts, maybe 2.5". The others needed 5.5" bolts and my drill bit wasn't long enough so I had to buy a new one. I almost drilled through the fresh water tank!

For the front most street side tie down I'm going to stick with the 4' black pipe between the OEM tie downs. It's ugly, but it works. Ideally, I would have had two new tie downs for each ATV tire, but there weren't enough spots to tie into the frame.

In going through this I realized that laying down E-track would have been a lot more difficult. To secure it to the frame I would have had to drop the auxiliary and main fuel tanks and then also the fresh water tank to get access.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:17 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
Today I implemented Trailer Tie Down Plan "A" in my toy hauler. I used black pipe to make a rail that my tire bonnets could attach to.

It seems like Redneck Engineering. It's kind of goofy, but it works. I'll probably stick with it for a while to see how bad it really is to work around/stumble over. Removing the black pipe from the trailer tie downs would take at least 15 minutes and some sweat. The front would take most of that time.

Is the 1/2" black pipe strong enough? I don't know. I have it cinched down moderately tight. Not as tight as I would when using my ATV trailer. It didn't move when I gave the ATV a shove. FYI, the ATV weighs in a bit over 1,400 lbs in full mountain trim. I think the tie downs have enough room to clear 3/4" black pipe.

I don't have any pipe between the front and rear wheels. The front and rear tire bonnets are connected to each other. That's not how I normally do it. There aren't any tie downs in the middle that are convenient for putting in a center black pipe.

Plan "B" is to install 10' of E-Track under each set of tires (front to back). The challenge there is finding suitable anchor locations. The main frame rails of the trailer aren't in a good spot and there aren't many crossbeams to use. The E-Track would be easier to walk on than the black pipe.

Plan "C" is to use ratchet straps through the wheels to the existing tie downs. I'm worried that the angle from wheel to tie down is big enough that it would put too much strain on the wheel bearings.

"Plan "C" is to use ratchet straps through the wheels to the existing tie downs. I'm worried that the angle from wheel to tie down is big enough that it would put too much strain on the wheel bearings.
"[/QUOTE]

This how I would tie down my toys. As long as they are opposing, wont move much. In my TH, I added 4 lengths of Etrack left to right from sliding glass door to ramp door and 2 in the middle. They are evenly spread out about 3' apart (10' garage) I used 1 1/2" lags 1/4" lags every third hole. If I hit a metal strut, I switched to self taping. So no matter what I put in, I have places to strap and when the toys are out, we throw carpet down and you dont hardly feel the tracks under it.

Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2016, 11:36 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Nice looking job Scott. My e track runs the length of the garage. There are two tracks slightly recessed from the factory, running about 2 ft from the side walls. The factory setup would work well for quads, and a side by side, just not motorcycles.
We also lay a piece of carpet down when blowing up a queen sized mattress for others and you can't tell its there.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:40 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Anyone ever use wheel chocks for street bikes? I'd like to move the bikes forward and carry them more over or in front of the axles. But I just don't see an easy way to do it as is.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:01 PM
BCooke
Senior User
I use trailer chains with heavy D rings then attach the wheel straps to the chains on the middle tie downs.
Can have pictures Tuesday.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Dakar Dad
Cross-Country
I use these
What is nice they come in different widths all the way up to ATV tire widths. Be sure to get the correct width you need or your tire will rock in them and could fall over.

Also what is nice is you can router your floor for the slide in mounts to be flush with your floor so you don't have to step on them.