1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has installed OEM Cab Clarence / Marker Lights In Their SD

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 08:09 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Who has installed OEM Cab Clarence / Marker Lights In Their SD

Hey FTE Folks I have been kicking around the idea of putting Cab Clearance / Marker lights into a couple of my Ford trucks.

I am sure those among us who have also put Cab Clearance / Marker lights in their trucks know there are a TON of different brands with all sorts of different options and price points but I want to concentrate on the the OEM one's from Ford.

So who all has put the OEM one's in and why did you choose to go with the OEM one's? What do you like about the OEM one's? What dont you like about the OEM one's? Have you had any issues with your OEM one's?

From what I have researched so far, it looks like the OEM ones go in fairly easy harness wise for hook up but have heard the holes you need to drill are a little bigger than some of the aftermarket ones can be and that the there is a gasket for the OEM ones but they have to be purchased individually.

The other drawback I have heard is that the OEM ones are just a regular bulb and do not have an LED bulb in them.and they can be a little on the pricey side and that some of the bigger named one's don't cost that much more.

So let's hear your thought's.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:12 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 940 Likes on 579 Posts
Do a quick search of the forum and I bet you come up with some information. I remember someone posting about doing this exact same thing in recent months.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:18 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Yeah I did that actually some of the fella's have pretty much wrote a how to guide as to how they installed em.

With that said, just trying to find out how those that have installed them think about them after they have had the lights in for a while and the likes and dislikes of the OEM ones.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:44 AM
vermilian
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a couple write ups on the install. They are for older superduty's but Itz pretty much the same for newer ones as well.
http://www.emotoman.com/f250/lights/f250lights.htm
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-03-7-3l-exterior-discussion/181253-cab-light-install-pics.html#/forumsite/20554/topics/181253?page=1

I have the factory oem ones on my 2000 F-550 and all I'm doing is changing the lenses to clear and using led bulbs. Best of both worlds lol.
The lenses where from Anzo which I got from Lordco (western Canada equivalent to auozone) and the bulbs are Putcos.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:58 AM
vonwolf
New User
I'm not sure I'd physically be able to drill holes in my new truck , but I'd like to have these. I just think my brain would rebel the second the drill bit got near the cab's sheet metal and stop me

Old 07-31-2016, 11:25 AM
5 on a side
Freshman User
I did this last year, really happy with the results.

Link below to install and Link inside of that post to where on Ebay I purchased them, the template made it easy, would not have wanted to do it without it or making one myself. Gaskets were part of the lower light assembly. I recommend putting a blanket or something over the dash and seats, when I did mine a smoking hot disc from the larger hole made with a hole saw fell in and made it past my blanket which was just covering the dash and melted that carpet a little.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post15784271

Still need more lights down the side, but is can wait for cooler weather, if it ever happens.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:02 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by vonwolf
I'm not sure I'd physically be able to drill holes in my new truck , but I'd like to have these. I just think my brain would rebel the second the drill bit got near the cab's sheet metal and stop me
Ha this is what stops me too. I think they look great. But I can't bring myself to cut holes in the roof. Also my best bud ,who I do all my mechanical work with and go back and forth helping each other on projects, flat out refuses to help me do it.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:05 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
No offense to anyone who has them because I know they are popular, but stay away from the recon brand clearance lights and any brands like them. They are junk. There is a write up somewhere on here, and you can find the video on YouTube, that compared the recon, another name brand that is identical to the recon, and some $10 harbor freight lights. The build quality is 10x better on the harbor freights. I will be installing the oem lights with the factory plug in harness on my truck. I don't find it hard to spend a little extra on oem parts for a 40k+ investments.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:00 PM
dmorrill22
Freshman User
I just completed this a couple of weeks ago on my 2004 F-250. I bought used OEM takeoffs on eBay, complete with the gaskets and nuts for around $40. I bought the wiring harness from a local junkyard for $15. Install wasn't bad, took about 1-2 hours of careful measuring and laying down tape to mark drill holes. Drilling the holes wasn't bad, just take your time. Silicone the crap out of each light base when you install them and you are good to go. Mine have endured several rainstorms since the install and no leaks. They look great!

Things you will want/need:
3/4 step drill bit
Assorted small drill bits (studs for light base were around 1/4")
Silicone (I used clear)
Lots of blue masking tape
Sharpie
Tape measure
Lots of time

I went with OEM because I only trusted the OEM fitment and quality, and have no regrets doing so.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:34 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vonwolf
Had to laugh at that. I would think anyone would be a little hesitant about putting holes in the roof of their SD truck. The great thing is that those who have done this left us who haven't but want to do it some great instructions and advice on how to get it done

The Ford OEM ones look fairly easy to put in mind you I am surprised they aren't LED but I am sure a guy can find an LED bulb to put in em ( I hope )

Old 07-31-2016, 06:39 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by vermilian
Here's a couple write ups on the install. They are for older superduty's but Itz pretty much the same for newer ones as well.
F250 Factory Clearance Light install
Cab Light Install With Pics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

I have the factory oem ones on my 2000 F-550 and all I'm doing is changing the lenses to clear and using led bulbs. Best of both worlds lol.
The lenses where from Anzo which I got from Lordco (western Canada equivalent to auozone) and the bulbs are Putcos.

I will be changing out the amber bulbs for LED ones as well once I install em, the LED's should have a longer life

Old 07-31-2016, 06:45 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ron94150
No offense to anyone who has them because I know they are popular, but stay away from the recon brand clearance lights and any brands like them. They are junk. There is a write up somewhere on here, and you can find the video on YouTube, that compared the recon, another name brand that is identical to the recon, and some $10 harbor freight lights. The build quality is 10x better on the harbor freights. I will be installing the oem lights with the factory plug in harness on my truck. I don't find it hard to spend a little extra on oem parts for a 40k+ investments.

I have read review on some of the different lights out in the marketplace and there are folks who love em and hate em when it comes to the popular brands. It's kind of a mixed bag on some of them with peoples thoughts of em

Old 07-31-2016, 07:41 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Here is the link to a video from I believe one of our members.

He makes some very valid points. My worry with the harbor freight lights is, how will the lenses hold up to fading/cracking after 5-10 years. That's why I'm going oem.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:21 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ron94150
Here is the link to a video from I believe one of our members.

2011 F250 Cab Lights Recon vs Pilot/Harbor Freight - YouTube

He makes some very valid points. My worry with the harbor freight lights is, how will the lenses hold up to fading/cracking after 5-10 years. That's why I'm going oem.

Yeah I actually watched all 5 of the videos he had on these Harbor Freight lights he installed, the only thing I didnt see or hear was how the held up after the fact which makes me a tad hesitant.

The FORD OEM ones look pretty decent and seem easy to install with the harness, I just am hoping the guys who have them in after they installed em will give an idea of how they have held up and what they like and dont like about em.