2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

neat article on the new center console/cup holder

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 09:24 AM
Ryan Kovacs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking neat article on the new center console/cup holder

i ordered my new work truck with the console, so this was particularly cool to me:

For real, Ford has revolutionized the cupholder | The Verge

Everyone in the truck gets a holder for two beers!

There are a lot of places you might expect Ford to innovate and improve in its Super Duty pickup truck. Things like increasing the towing capacity or torque, or stuffing the thing full of cameras to make backing up easier. Forget all that.

The biggest innovation in the 2017 Super Duty is this incredible quad-barreled cupholder.

You might think, like I did, that the cupholder was pretty much as good as it was gonna get. You take your coffee or Red Bull or Fresca or whatever and you put it in the cupholder. But what if, instead of having one drink for you and another for your co-pilot, you have four drinks in your enormous pickup truck? What do you do then? Put them on the floor and let them roll around and get everywhere? Hell no, Ford says.

That’s because those geniuses up in Dearborn have invented the Multiple Container Holder Assembly. US patent number 8,939,491. In the massive center console in the new 2017 Super Duty, there are a pair of cupholders plus an enormous chasm for putting things. But if, instead of a place to put things, you desire a place to put more drinks, a magical cup-holder thingy slides over and locks into place, giving you twice as many drink holders. With the Multiple Container Holder Assembly activated, there are a total of ten cupholders in the four-door SuperCrew Super Duty pickup. That’s in a vehicle with only five seats. You do the math.

The 2017 Ford Super Duty will be available this fall.

Murica.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan Kovacs
i ordered my new work truck with the console, so this was particularly cool to me:

For real, Ford has revolutionized the cupholder | The Verge

Everyone in the truck gets a holder for two beers!
Murica.
Just drill a hole in the bottom of the hanging file cabinet and fill it with something usefull--like ice to hold the beer!

made in 'Merica

Old 07-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Thanks for the post Ryan.

I have always enjoyed the cup holders on the '01. Two in the drop down armrest/console and two which retreated into the dash when not in use. I did have a SS coffee cup which had a hard rubber ring around the bottom which exactly fit the console holders. Perfect. Made by Stanley, I believe. But left on the bumper while working it was no match for the highway speeds. I have looked for 6 years to replace it and nary a one has appeared, even on ebay and craig's.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Ryan Kovacs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Just drill a hole in the bottom of the hanging file cabinet and fill it with something usefull--like ice to hold the beer!

made in 'Merica
Love this idea!!!

Old 07-28-2016, 02:49 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The way my truck is used, for work and travel, I've always wanted a built in ice maker and/or a built in cold storage that wouldn't require ice.

A chilled center console would be fantastic, chilled cup holders wouldn't be that hard to do either.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:48 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
Joel, I think the Taurus has/had heated cooled cup holders for a while. The center console idea would be AWESOME though. They have stand alone 12v units so I'm sure integrating one into the console wouldn't be difficult.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:25 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Heated cup holders were available on the GMC several years ago, that's a 'cool' feature.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Joel, I think the Taurus has/had heated cooled cup holders for a while. The center console idea would be AWESOME though. They have stand alone 12v units so I'm sure integrating one into the console wouldn't be difficult.
The cooled console would need better engineering than the 12v systems in play today. I have a Coleman cooler which plugs in to the power source (cigarette lighter) which will heat or cool. Items need to be at temperature when put in but it will maintain them warm or cold. Overnight it will drain both batteries. The refrigerator in my camper is a different story. It will drain the camper battery in about an hour. The truck will only supply current to the camper down to about 11.5 volts and then it automatically cuts out. Refrigeration is a hefty draw on the system. There may be something wrong with the charge control but I cannot drive down the road with the camper refrigerator in 12v because it will even then cut off the charge circuit and then drain the camper battery. I just leave it on propane.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:51 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
It was cooled in that it would direct the an air conditioning vent into the cupholders. I didn't mean to imply they were actually cooling units like an RV fridge...

Old 07-30-2016, 08:28 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Two of my older John Deere's had a little door in the dash. You could open it then insert a can of the beverage of your choice. It was ducted into the a/c system.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:57 AM
messinma
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope that it is able to be reversed. As the owner and main operator of the truck I want my cup of coffee near me. The extendable extras should be for when you have a guest in the truck. Just my preference that all controls and conveniences should be with in easy reach of the driver.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:14 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by messinma
I hope that it is able to be reversed. As the owner and main operator of the truck I want my cup of coffee near me. The extendable extras should be for when you have a guest in the truck. Just my preference that all controls and conveniences should be with in easy reach of the driver.
The slide unit does not really look very solid. The tray underneath also looks like a place to collect junk and then the cup would not sit down firmly.