1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

New calipers; brakes still pull left

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 12:43 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Use compressed air to blow out the rusty mud from the hard lines and inspect them to be sure none are kinked and closed off. And you will probably need to replace all the flex lines as well if there is debris in the lines.

There is nothing mysterious or magic about this braking system. Do a proper refit on the whole system all at once, bleed it correctly and be done with it. If you want to do it piece meal a part here and a part there, this is the kind of issues you wind up with.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sam I am

By your theory I would have to buy all new rotors and calipers and pads and a master cylinder and proportioning valve and the ABS module and all new steel lines and rubber lines … Not exactly reasonable advice.

Obviously I have to try to identify what "the problem" is and that's why I was asking about suspension issues, and the difference in rotor thickness, etc.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Im50fast
By your theory I would have to buy all new rotors and calipers and pads and a master cylinder and proportioning valve and the ABS module and all new steel lines and rubber lines … Not exactly reasonable advice.

Obviously I have to try to identify what "the problem" is and that's why I was asking about suspension issues, and the difference in rotor thickness, etc.
Is that what I said? I must have missed that.

What I said was "a proper refit of the whole system", as in don't do one part of the hydraulic system and ignore the rest of it.
And "blow out the hard lines with compressed air." If it was mine I would properly bleed the system and check all the hydraulics.

But hear what you want, it sounds like it is working out great for you so far.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
Is that what I said? I must have missed that.

What I said was "a proper refit of the whole system", as in don't do one part of the hydraulic system and ignore the rest of it.
And "blow out the hard lines with compressed air." If it was mine I would properly bleed the system and check all the hydraulics.

But hear what you want, it sounds like it is working out great for you so far.
"Proper refit of the whole system".
Exactly what does that mean to you?

I haven't ignored any part of my system. I have rebuilt and then replaced calipers and front flex hoses. I've bled the brakes repeatedly. I've installed new pads and new rotors and new metal clips.

Not sure why you came in here with a bad attitude.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:20 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
"Proper refit of the whole system".
Exactly what does that mean to you?
Fix it correctly, which you have not done as evidenced by your post and you stating you have replaced the calipers twice now expecting a different outcome.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.

I haven't ignored any part of my system. I have rebuilt and then replaced calipers and front flex hoses. I've bled the brakes repeatedly. I've installed new pads and new rotors and new metal clips.
That's all you tried before you gave up and asked for help?
Have you blown out or even inspected the hard lines? I'm not the first one to suggest that. I'm at least the 3rd just in this thread. Have you done it yet? Have you done any other troubleshooting besides what you listed here?
Have you done anything at all with the back brakes besides look at the pad wear? You said they are worn out but you never said they were replaced.

There are a couple of things like this that have been suggested that you can try that are essentially free if you have some basic tools and an air compressor. If you are not properly equipped to handle this repair, then take it to a pro shop and pay what it costs to fix it correctly. Brakes are too important to do a half-assed job on. If it is beyond your ability to fix you are doing yourself and everyone else on the road around you a disservice by driving an unsafe vehicle.

Not sure why you came in here with a bad attitude.
You come on a public forum asking for help, then whine about the FREE help you are provided. Good luck with that.

You brake system is having problems.
Check over the whole brake system.
Start by blowing out the hard lines both ways and making sure they are not crimped shut by visually inspecting all the hard lines.
If you are unable to do the repair yourself, then either pay to have it done or find another ride.
I can't simplify it any more than that, you either grasp the concept that I am attempting to convey or you don't.

It's no wonder you haven't fixed it yet with a "parts changer" mentality and a "poor me I'm such a victim" outlook.
Don't lash out at me, I'm not the one who broke your van.
Get over yourself with your whiny fit and go fix your van before you cause a wreck. I have no tolerance or compassion for someone who knowingly drives a defective vehicle and endangers himself and everyone else on the road.
"Check yourself before you wreck yourself"

Old 07-30-2016, 01:58 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bloviating doesn't help
50fast has tools and is good guy
there is no need to demean him
if you wanna be a richard, go to other forums

Having said that, just bringing it to a shop doesn't mean it will get done right
it just means you spent more money and maybe it will be done right.
I've seen more idiots in shops than I care to remember

Old 07-30-2016, 04:18 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Fix it correctly, which you have not done as evidenced by your post and you stating you have replaced the calipers twice now expecting a different outcome. I didn't change calipers twice: I rebuilt the originals once and then replaced them with new.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.

That's all you tried before you gave up and asked for help? yes, in my mechanical knowledge it's pretty common to address calipers when there is a brake pull... You?
Have you blown out or even inspected the hard lines?no I haven't; I've been discussing this issue for only a couple days now. But I appreciate everyone's help on here and I'll be taking action ASAP I'm not the first one to suggest that. I'm at least the 3rd just in this thread. Have you done it yet? I don't even understand what you are referring to "blowing out" - the inside of the lines? Where the brake fluid goes? What's the point? Or are you referring to blowing off the "mud" from the outside of the brake lines, in order to visually inspect them?Have you done any other troubleshooting besides what you listed here? No. I've been working
Have you done anything at all with the back brakes besides look at the pad wear? I ordered new pads and rotors- delivery expected Monday You said they are worn out but you never said they were replaced.

There are a couple of things like this that have been suggested that you can try that are essentially free if you have some basic tools and an air compressor. If you are not properly equipped to handle this repair, then take it to a pro shop and pay what it costs to fix it correctly.read Vettex2's response above Brakes are too important to do a half-assed job on. If it is beyond your ability to fix you are doing yourself and everyone else on the road around you a disservice by driving an unsafe vehicle. It's not unsafe but it is inconvenient.

You come on a public forum asking for help, then whine I never whinedabout the FREE help you are provided. You have offered more sass than helpGood luck with that.
Agreed
You brake system is having problems.
Check over the whole brake system. No sense checking the whole thing when my symptom doesn't indicate certain parts
Start by blowing out the hard lines both ways and again, what does this mean? Why would I blow compressed air through the lines? What's the point?making sure they are not crimped shut this is an intriguing idea. Though Vettex suggested it before you arrived on this threadby visually inspecting all the hard lines.
If you are unable to do the repair yourself, then either pay to have it done or find another ride.
I can't simplify it any more than that, you either grasp the concept that I am attempting to convey or you don't. No I don't: because your first post on this thread had an unhelpful and negative tone. I'll forgive you

It's no wonder you haven't fixed it yet with a "parts changer" mentality and a "poor me I'm such a victim" outlook.
This is your imagination.
Don't lash out at me, you FEEL like I lashed out, but that doesn't remotely make it a fact I'm not the one who broke your van.
Get over yourself with your whiny fit I haven't whinedand go fix your van before you cause a wreck. There's no issue here I have no tolerance or compassion for someone who knowingly drives a defective vehicle and endangers himself and everyone else on the road.
"Check yourself before you wreck yourself"
There obviously IS some "magic or mystery" involved here when new fluid, hoses, and calipers don't cure a leftward braking pull.

Back to our regular scheduled programming.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
There obviously IS some "magic or mystery" involved here when new fluid, hoses, and calipers don't cure a leftward braking pull.

Back to our regular scheduled programming.
I tried to help. I didn't expect you to "get it" since you believe it's magic but at least I tried.
And yes, blow pressurized air through the hard lines instead of replacing them as your obtuse response interpreted. When you don't understand, it is better to ask than to go straight to your negative attitude. You will find that some people can give better than they get. Your use of reducto ad absurdum makes you look condescending. You're going to want to correct that along with your van brakes.

As others have also pointed out, there could be some debris or rusty mud in a hard line. If you seal off the end you are blowing the compressed air into, it may push out an obstruction if such exists. Since we are all relying on your vague description of the issue at hand to try to help you troubleshoot it, this sounds to myself and others like a valid course of action.

Also very valid is the idea that has been suggested that your issue involves the rear brakes. By seemingly focusing on the fronts and doing a caliper job twice it appears you are ignoring this possibility and double wasting effort. In my opinion, you should properly examine the entire braking system. And yes, I have had actual classroom instruction in hydraulics, which is why I don't believe in magic. Saying that you do believe in this magic nonsense makes you look silly and worthy of scorn.

Brakes are simple. Fix the obstruction in fluid flow and replace all faulty or worn mechanical parts, that's how you do a proper refit on any braking system. Since you are attempting to diagnose your own brake issue I anticipated that you already knew this. My mistake was not realizing that you are the assistant instead of the actual magician.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:53 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another richard post, trying to make friends are ya?

Old 07-30-2016, 09:58 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Speaking Latin, intentionally misinterpreting my posts, condescending verbiage,.. I'm done with this guy. Anyone else?

Old 07-30-2016, 10:03 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
While I haven't read through the long posts here, have you replaced the antilock brake junction block under the van ? That to me would be your problem after replacing everything else and having the same issue afterwards.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:33 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Speaking Latin, intentionally misinterpreting my posts, condescending verbiage,.. I'm done with this guy. Anyone else?
If you can't take it don't dish it out.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by baddad457
While I haven't read through the long posts here, have you replaced the antilock brake junction block under the van ? That to me would be your problem after replacing everything else and having the same issue afterwards.
I'm completely unfamiliar with what you speak of. Teach me

Old 07-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
If you can't take it don't dish it out.
Truce!

Old 07-30-2016, 11:01 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm completely unfamiliar with what you speak of. Teach me
There's a unit under the floor (Directly below the driver's seat) that has all the brake lines running into/out of. This is the antilock brake system controller. If you've ignored this, this is likely where the problem is. I can't tell you what exactly is happening here, but this unit controls the fluid pressure to the brakes and could well be why that one brake is wearing and pulling

Quick Reply: New calipers; brakes still pull left