Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 11:00 AM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes in NC

Hello again

The bad penny shows up again. Sorry

Looks like every time I show up here I have a problem. This time it is the brakes on my 1995 F 250 ford Ext. cab 4x4 auto trans. XLT.

I have lost all brakes on this truck. When I mash the brake pedal there is a loud whoosh of air sound coming from down under the dash at the brake pedal.
Also the brake fluid has a very dark color to it.......all most black.

The issue I have is I think I know how to repair all these issues But my body and age will not let me do this work which sucks.

Does anyone know a good mechanic in the central NC area that can be trusted to do this work at a fair price.

My brain tells me to do this myself but working off the ground in 100* heat in the front yard is telling me not to try.

I am not sure about the whoosh sound issue.
Dark brake fluid is all rubber flex lines need to be replaced. Steel lines need to be cleaned out.
Calipers and wheel cylinders drained and checked out
Master cyl. needs to be cleaned.
Check pads, rotors, drums and shoes.

Is there anything I missed???

How much should this cost???

Getting Old sucks for us and our old PSD trucks.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
RABS valve test is needed and don't forget to bleed it too.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ake-valve.html

Sounds like your booster is broken

if flex lines are cracking then replace them

If you know how to do it, then teach someone else and let them do the work for you.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:48 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a bad idea. Find some ambitious youngster that wants to learn and work... wait a minute they stopped making that model a couple decades ago, lol.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:30 PM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
Yes. I would love to find someone that could use what knowledge I have gathered in the last 70 yrs.
I am sure I have all the tools to do all this type of job. I had a birthday 4 days ago and did get a call from my son. The wife bought me a 2 liter Dr. Pepper

The older you get the less young people you know even if it is from your own family...

That is why I am looking for a good mechanic to work on my truck.

I swear the more I think about this ......the more I am thinking of starting this project myself...........if it kills me

I have stints in my heart, both hips are shot, right knee hurts all the time. I take heart meds..blood pressure and 40 mgs. of Oxycodone per day. And still can not walk 100 yards.

What do ya'll think????

Old 07-27-2016, 12:45 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 374 Likes on 268 Posts
Did this happen all at once or slowly over time? If it was all at once then I would lean towards the brake booster being the culprit. As far as doing it yourself. Can the truck be down for a few days without an inconvenience for you? If so, go for it! Work until you get tired, take a break, then go back at it. Even if it takes a few days it would a fun project if you feel up to it. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2016, 01:17 PM
LakelandFordParts
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cowmilker08
Not a bad idea. Find some ambitious youngster that wants to learn and work... wait a minute they stopped making that model a couple decades ago, lol.
There are a few of them out there but they are definitely harder to find than they used to be. OP, if you end up needing a booster and want OEM it looks like the Ford part number is F5TZ2005CA, you can click the link to view it on our site. Be careful and don't overwork yourself if you end up doing the job yourself.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:05 PM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
OK.....

Ya'll have got me thinking...I can do this

I need to read up on what parts I should use on this 1995 truck. Like a 1997 booster, flex steel lines or oem type.

Any good parts info would be a great help..........Looking to get everything on line since I do not want to ride my moped 7 miles one way to the parts store.........LOL]

I will look at your Lakeland parts site.........Thanks

Going to start getting everything ready to start this project......Plywood, floor jack, safety stands, impact guns and tools gathered up

Plus my big Gun....incase I get mad and have to shoot the damn thing a few times

You guys are great.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:47 PM
mcali2
Posting Guru
I'll do it for ya. Just bring the truck over. I'm in Fallon NV. Sorry.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:55 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 374 Likes on 268 Posts
Something I would probably start with is the brake booster. Check it out and repair if needed. Then if that fixes your issue then at least your truck will be usable again, then you tackle the rest of the brakes one wheel at a time

Old 07-27-2016, 09:31 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joey, If I was still down there, I'd come over and do it for you. The whoosh is definitely a bad booster.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:53 AM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
Morning to you guys

Bill, thank you again for finding out what was wrong with my truck the last time you were down here with your computer. It has ran great until my wife drove it Sunday. When she got home she said that it was making a clicking noise from the right side and it wanted to pull to the right sometimes when she stopped.
Yesterday I went out there to see if I could find anything wrong. I started the truck, it sounded great as usual. Let it idle until the GP kicked off, then went to put in gear and when I mashed the brake petal a loud whoosh sound came from down at the foot brake and it went to the floor.....no brakes

My wife can tare up an anvil with a feather duster. Just glad she got home safe with the old truck.

Is there any truth to using a 1997 booster or is that just someone bumping their gums.

one more question.......please
I can only use 6 gal. of fuel out of rear tank before it runs out of fuel. How bad is that to repair????

Old 07-28-2016, 06:28 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Bad booster was my first thought also, until you posted the pedal went straight to the floor. Sounds like a bad master cylinder or major leak.

As for the fuel problem.
Fuel pickup. Sender assembly will need to come out of tank. If I remember correctly, it's the rear tank that has to be dropped to get it out.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:55 AM
LakelandFordParts
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Joey Fletcher
OK.....

Ya'll have got me thinking...I can do this

I need to read up on what parts I should use on this 1995 truck. Like a 1997 booster, flex steel lines or oem type.

Any good parts info would be a great help..........Looking to get everything on line since I do not want to ride my moped 7 miles one way to the parts store.........LOL]

I will look at your Lakeland parts site.........Thanks

Going to start getting everything ready to start this project......Plywood, floor jack, safety stands, impact guns and tools gathered up

Plus my big Gun....incase I get mad and have to shoot the damn thing a few times

You guys are great.
Sounds good, don't hesitate to email us if you need any help finding things. Some of the parts for your truck may be discontinued but the booster is available and I would be happy to check fitment and availability of any other parts you may need.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:47 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Yes, use a 97. Its a zero loss booster and works the best on our trucks.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:17 AM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
Thanks Bird

I will look into that.....What is your name @ Lakeland ford parts???? and yes I would like to talk to you about some of these parts. If I knew who I was talking to.

I was afraid of the rear fuel tank having to be dropped, Dang thing is full of fuel.
Time I buy enough containers to put all that fuel in.....I might be better off to dump it on the ground................HELLo........EPA

Quick Reply: Brakes in NC