1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Transmission Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 10:20 AM
'74 Ford 250 CS
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Cooler

A couple weeks ago I was getting my truck in order for a trip to southern Mississippi from S. Indiana. About 620 miles. Rear shackles, rear shocks, front shocks, tie rods and ball joints, new tires and alignment. Drives like a new truck now! I was headed down for a deal on some Honda ATVs. This was my first trip in the truck since I bought it a couple years ago.

The issue I had running empty was my tranny's temp was around 230. Of course it was the same running back. I had to watch my speed on the way back to keep the temp for going higher. The previous owner had installed a tranny cooler with fan under the driver's seat (outside) running horizontal. It has a switch to turn the fan on and off. However due to its location I believe the fan doesn't work anymore due to dirt blowing up on it.

I want to get rid of this and get a 6.0 cooler installed. I have a banks IC up front already. I've read posts on this but will this fit with the the IC on. Does it go between the AC coil and rad. Or the AC coil and IC? If the latter there is the post going up the middle.

How do I move forward ?

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2016, 05:42 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by '74 Ford 250 CS
A couple weeks ago I was getting my truck in order for a trip to southern Mississippi from S. Indiana. About 620 miles. Rear shackles, rear shocks, front shocks, tie rods and ball joints, new tires and alignment. Drives like a new truck now! I was headed down for a deal on some Honda ATVs. This was my first trip in the truck since I bought it a couple years ago.

The issue I had running empty was my tranny's temp was around 230. Of course it was the same running back. I had to watch my speed on the way back to keep the temp for going higher. The previous owner had installed a tranny cooler with fan under the driver's seat (outside) running horizontal. It has a switch to turn the fan on and off. However due to its location I believe the fan doesn't work anymore due to dirt blowing up on it.

I want to get rid of this and get a 6.0 cooler installed. I have a banks IC up front already. I've read posts on this but will this fit with the the IC on. Does it go between the AC coil and rad. Or the AC coil and IC? If the latter there is the post going up the middle.

How do I move forward ?
The 6.0 cooler is nice. No doubting that all. You will have to see where the ic lays if you can go out front or inbetween.
I have the trucool and my trans is 160-165 even towing or driving in the mountains.
It mounted easily to the back of the bumper.
Where in southern in are you?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:57 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Looks like my F350 OBS. I have a Big Hayden Swirl Kool mounted in front of the rasiator. Actually, Ford SVO, Dearborn mounted it years ago plus a B&M Deep sump finned aluminum pan.

Not fond of mounting a trans cooler underneath unless there is no other option.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 PM
'74 Ford 250 CS
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by fordman67
The 6.0 cooler is nice. No doubting that all. You will have to see where the ic lays if you can go out front or inbetween.
I have the trucool and my trans is 160-165 even towing or driving in the mountains.
It mounted easily to the back of the bumper.
Where in southern in are you?
I suppose I could be easily convinced to not use the 6.0 cooler. Just seemed what everyone used with success. What model trucool cooler did you buy? A easy install would be nice. I never have enough time. I live in Charlestown, IN, across the river from Louisville, KY. What about yourself?

Originally Posted by SidecarFlip
Looks like my F350 OBS. I have a Big Hayden Swirl Kool mounted in front of the rasiator. Actually, Ford SVO, Dearborn mounted it years ago plus a B&M Deep sump finned aluminum pan.

Not fond of mounting a trans cooler underneath unless there is no other option.
Id like to get finned pan, but like to see what temperature a working cooler gets me. The PO did the install. I'm sure it worked well when the fan worked but not now. I haven't taken it down to determine what kind of cooler it even is. I'll have to read up on the cooler you have.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:11 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
No pan is going to cool your transmission. The only thing the aftermarket pans do for you is make the bottom of your truck pretty.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:21 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
No pan is going to cool your transmission. The only thing the aftermarket pans do for you is make the bottom of your truck pretty.
Mine does, I suspect to a degree. It's finned aluminum so it conducts heat much better than the stamped steel pan it replaced....and gee, it has a drain plug too.... and it's 'O' ringed... amazing.

It's been on there since 1998 so it ain't pretty no more. It's oxidized. Mine has the temperature sender boss but I never hooked it up. I change my fluid and filter every fall, it's always just fine.

The deep sump pan adds an additional 4 quart capacity, least mine does. Dexron-Mercon is cheap. I buy it in 5 gallon pails.

My Hayden works well. I can feel the temperature difference between the inlet side and the outlet side just with the truck sitting in the drive...hot.

Former transmission engineer... My BIL is a powertrain design engineer at SVO Dearborn. Not former...still there. In fact they redid the transmission, added the pan and the cooler for me when I bought the truck in 1997...new. Not a stock E4 by a long shot.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:55 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

The pan doesn't cool the trans.

Have you measured air temps around the pan? I have. When the engine is working hard, which is when you need trans cooling, the air temps are hotter than the transmission. The air from the radiator passes by the trans, plus the exhaust is giving off A LOT of heat. So how will air hotter than the trans cool the trans?

I don't even need to go into the boundary layer effect that is going on inside the pan, limiting heat transfer. That's actually a good thing because it limits how much heat that larger pan can transfer into the transmission.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:23 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
The pan doesn't cool the trans.

Have you measured air temps around the pan? I have. When the engine is working hard, which is when you need trans cooling, the air temps are hotter than the transmission. The air from the radiator passes by the trans, plus the exhaust is giving off A LOT of heat. So how will air hotter than the trans cool the trans?

I don't even need to go into the boundary layer effect that is going on inside the pan, limiting heat transfer. That's actually a good thing because it limits how much heat that larger pan can transfer into the transmission.
You are reading way more into the comment than was meant. I never said the pan cooled the trans, it may help with the lower finned surface...slightly. An external cooler mounted in the frontal air stream does and 'Boundary Layer Stratification' has nothing to do with the fluid in the pan because boundary layer only applies to a stagnant, stationary mass of liquid or semi solid, not applicable to the fluid in the pan which is always in motion when the engine is running and the fluid pump is transferring fluid to the trans and trans cooler.

Where did you go to school at?

Old 07-29-2016, 03:11 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

So you've never made a clear pan and observed the boundary layer. I have. I've also measured the temperatures just inside the pan and observed it in the temperature stratification.

You are assuming fluid is always moving in the pan. I've proven that isn't true.

And you didn't answer how the pan can help at all while the air around it is HOTTER than the transmission. I've measured this, too. Have you? Or is all of your experience here in thought experiments? Those are where you reason what would happen if you actually ran tests. I DID run them. That was my job.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:23 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Look at his SIG, Mr. Mark K was a former former Ford Automatic Tranny Engineer, so he knows these trannys more than any of us do.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:36 PM
SidecarFlip
Senior User
My only comment was, not is. My BIL still is. The whole thread is about transmission coolers not pans anyway. Ford sees fit (or at least did in 1997) to place a wimpy 2 pass cooler in front of the radiator and SVO discarded that and replaced mine with a big Hayden thats been there since, they did internal modifications as well, what exactly, I have no idea and it didn't cost me a dime. BTW thanks BIL.

I know a bit about thermal layering and stratification but it's not germane and I really don't care about temperature differentials. I do care about the added fluid capacity and if it's good enough for the techs at SVO, it's good enough for me.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:53 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by '74 Ford 250 CS
I suppose I could be easily convinced to not use the 6.0 cooler. Just seemed what everyone used with success. What model trucool cooler did you buy? A easy install would be nice. I never have enough time. I live in Charlestown, IN, across the river from Louisville, KY. What about yourself?

Id like to get finned pan, but like to see what temperature a working cooler gets me. The PO did the install. I'm sure it worked well when the fan worked but not now. I haven't taken it down to determine what kind of cooler it even is. I'll have to read up on the cooler you have.
I can't remember the pn but it's the 40000gvw unit.
I'm over in evansville

Old 07-31-2016, 03:52 PM
Airstreamer67
Senior User
I put a "Tru-Cool Max LPD4739 40,000 GVW Low Pressure Drop Transmission Oil Cooler" on my 96, from Amazon. I used the same mounting place as the little original OEM cooler. It does take more room of course, but it easily fit by using one or two of the original factory pieces plus, I believe, one of the mount arms provided in the kit. It's a very easy install, and it makes a big difference. I'm now running in the 160-180s instead of the 220s towing.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:13 PM
'74 Ford 250 CS
Mountain Pass
Due to the anticipated ease of installation and cost, I believe I'm going to try the trucool option. I've read about them but everyone seems to be using the 6.0 cooler so I had assumed it was the only "good" option to go with. Thanks for providing the real world use so I could make a better decision.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Kingkong0192
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I as well have the Tru-cool 40k cooler.

I used one factory mounting point with a bolt, and then a zip tie on the other side. Has been in there for 40k plus miles and the zip tie is holding fine.

I haven't ever seen above 160* temperatures. The hottest I ever got it was in Arizona towing a 8-10k pound camper up some big hill. That's when it hit 160*.

Towing around here I'm normally in the 140* range.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler