1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4L 3V Triton Engine worth replacing?/powertrain products

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:11 AM
buckmarkford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L 3V Triton Engine worth replacing?/powertrain products

Me and my family have always drove ford vehicles and I always thought they made a good truck. I have had my 2002 Ford Ranger 4.0L SOHC 4x4 for 3 years, put 80,000 miles on it(180,000 currently), and haven't fixed a single thing on it other than replacing the ball joints which is expected as part of the maintenance schedule.

But after buying an F350 with a 5.4L 3 Valve Triton engine I'm starting to have doubts with Fords quality.

I just recently purchased a 2005 F350 super duty from a private party with a 5.4L 3V Triton engine(gas). I took it for a test drive and didn't notice anything wrong and seemed to drive really nice. It was exactly what I was looking for. After paying cash and driving it home I put it in reverse and it could hardly idle. Lots of shaking and shuttering as well as check engine light on. I put it in neutral and brought the RPM's up to 2k and the problem stopped. I parked in the garage and could hear it have trouble idling like the engine might kill or take off on its own. After driving it a few days I realized problems shifting around 45-50mph. If your RPMs were not up to 3k the truck would shake and shutter. If you wanted to get from 45-55 mph you have to keep the rmps up to 3k and it will shift no problem but then the check engine light goes from being on to flashing.

The seller talked about a common problem with the ticking in the engine and how it should have 10-30 in stead of the recommended 5-20 to eliminate the ticking noises.

Also he had replaced all 4 O2 sensors on the catalytic converters after getting the code for it on the reader.

Seller mentioned fixing a stalling problem when stopping at red lights. Replacing the spark plugs and coils.

The transmission was replaced at 78,000 with 178,000 total on the truck today.

I've been doing some research on line and my next cheapest options are to clean the throttle body and clean or replace the MAF sensor. Then if that doesn't work replace the cam phaser and redo the timing.

From the symptoms and what I have read on the forums and else where I am 99% sure this is an engine problem.

My question is has anyone replaced their 5.4L engine? What manufacturer? Is it worth replacing ? How has the new engine run? Will it last?

I'm considering another truck altogether if this doesn't work out... maybe GMC...

Here are some links to articles on class action lawsuits and powertrain products rebuild of the engine:

Rebuilt Ford 5.4 Engines with No Upfront Core

Ford 5.4L Truck Engine Problems Uncovered By Powertrain Products Inc.

EDITED - no legal discussion permitted on FTE.

Last edited by Tom; 07-27-2016 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Removed Class Action link
Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 AM
redrivergorge
Senior User
Originally Posted by buckmarkford
Me and my family have always drove ford vehicles and I always thought they made a good truck. I have had my 2002 Ford Ranger 4.0L SOHC 4x4 for 3 years, put 80,000 miles on it(180,000 currently), and haven't fixed a single thing on it other than replacing the ball joints which is expected as part of the maintenance schedule.

But after buying an F350 with a 5.4L 3 Valve Triton engine I'm starting to have doubts with Fords quality.

I just recently purchased a 2005 F350 super duty from a private party with a 5.4L 3V Triton engine(gas). I took it for a test drive and didn't notice anything wrong and seemed to drive really nice. It was exactly what I was looking for. After paying cash and driving it home I put it in reverse and it could hardly idle. Lots of shaking and shuttering as well as check engine light on. I put it in neutral and brought the RPM's up to 2k and the problem stopped. I parked in the garage and could hear it have trouble idling like the engine might kill or take off on its own. After driving it a few days I realized problems shifting around 45-50mph. If your RPMs were not up to 3k the truck would shake and shutter. If you wanted to get from 45-55 mph you have to keep the rmps up to 3k and it will shift no problem but then the check engine light goes from being on to flashing.

The seller talked about a common problem with the ticking in the engine and how it should have 10-30 in stead of the recommended 5-20 to eliminate the ticking noises.

Also he had replaced all 4 O2 sensors on the catalytic converters after getting the code for it on the reader.

Seller mentioned fixing a stalling problem when stopping at red lights. Replacing the spark plugs and coils.

The transmission was replaced at 78,000 with 178,000 total on the truck today.

I've been doing some research on line and my next cheapest options are to clean the throttle body and clean or replace the MAF sensor. Then if that doesn't work replace the cam phaser and redo the timing.

From the symptoms and what I have read on the forums and else where I am 99% sure this is an engine problem.

My question is has anyone replaced their 5.4L engine? What manufacturer? Is it worth replacing ? How has the new engine run? Will it last?

I'm considering another truck altogether if this doesn't work out... maybe GMC...

Here are some links to articles on class action lawsuits and powertrain products rebuild of the engine:

Rebuilt Ford 5.4 Engines with No Upfront Core

Ford 5.4L Truck Engine Problems Uncovered By Powertrain Products Inc.

http://http://gotaclassaction.com/fo...e-5-4l-engine/
I don't think you can blame ford on this one. All manufactures have there issues. Sounds like a seller with no morals and a buyer that didn't do enough due diligence to me. Might look into the intake could have a leak fouling the oxygen sensors and cats. The intakes are another common problem.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:44 AM
redrivergorge
Senior User
Oh and the 5.4 is 300k motor, have a competent mechanic look at it before you go replacing the motor. I highly doubt you have a bad motor.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:44 AM
chickfisher69
Junior User
I have found on that engine that the pcv hose goes bad causing the problem that you are describing. Did you ck it ? it is a huge vacuum leak . Also take it to a qualified tech and have them evaluate the condition which you should have considered before you bought the truck . I always have used vehicles ck by the dealer before i buy them .

Old 07-27-2016, 04:53 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by redrivergorge
I don't think you can blame ford on this one. All manufactures have there issues. Sounds like a seller with no morals and a buyer that didn't do enough due diligence to me. Might look into the intake could have a leak fouling the oxygen sensors and cats. The intakes are another common problem.
I agree. This one statement from the previous owner would have made me get in my truck and move on:
"The seller talked about a common problem with the ticking in the engine and how it should have 10-30 in stead of the recommended 5-20 to eliminate the ticking noises."
Using an improper viscosity oil to try to quiet an engine noise on a used vehicle is not something that I want to hear from a seller.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:50 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
This has to be a troll, lol. If replaced an engine every time it ran rough...

Old 07-27-2016, 07:12 AM
buckmarkford
New User
Originally Posted by NewEnglandHerdsman
This has to be a troll, lol. If replaced an engine every time it ran rough...
Thanks but I'm only looking for answers here.

I definitely jumped the gun on the purchase it just happened to be what I needed and I needed it badly for work.

It will be at the ford dealer today getting looked at.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:29 AM
lwarrior1016
Elder User
The 5.4 3v's have their known problems. One of them being the cam phasers and another being the stupid design of the stock spark plugs. Just to be clear, these engines need to have 5w-20. The lash adjusters do not like thick weight oil and that will cause problems in itself. All of the bearing clearances are so tight that the thicker oil might starve the bearings.

My 5.4 2v has 308K miles on it and still runs strong. Then again, the 2v and 3v are different animals. Same basic concept but the 2v is better design.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
If I heard that from a seller I wouldn't pay more than scrap value for that vehicle. I've seen too many modular engines destroyed from running the wrong viscosity. 10W-30 is the wrong viscosity.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:49 AM
NewEnglandHerdsman
Lead Driver

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks but I'm only looking for answers here.

I definitely jumped the gun on the purchase it just happened to be what I needed and I needed it badly for work.

It will be at the ford dealer today getting looked at.
Fair enough, I think we've all missed things when buying vehicles that might seem obvious in hindsight. But IMHO the "jumping the gun" part would be posting about engine replacements, class action lawsuits, etc. because a truck with 178,000 miles is running rough. I think you're on the right path to a solution now by getting it looked at.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:23 AM
auburngrad
Senior User
I agree with having a mechanic check it out.

We were having shift stuttering around the same speeds and gears. Had the trans checked, since that's where the issue seemed to come from, and they couldn't get it to reproduce.

Started getting worse again, and the mechanic had another similar truck in, with similar but slightly different issues, not two months earlier. That truck had a bad ground, that every so often it would ground out.

Anyways. Our mechanic put it on the computer to monitor while he drove it. Ended up we had misses on two cylinders. Our truck idled fine. But had gotten to hesitate at some stop lights and still the 45mph shifting issue. A new set of coils and plugs later, and she drives good as new. A whole let cheaper than any transmission repair. Just know you have a mechanic you trust. Ours has always done us right and doesn't just sell something chasingthe issue.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:56 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 977 Likes on 752 Posts
the shudder at the speeds you indicate are a recent gremlin on my truck. my theories

a. clogged tranny filter
b. broken snap ring
c. crack in one of the gears
d. pressed fit planetary housing has a loose collar

item d is an 800 dollar part since you have to buy the next higher assembly.

my first step would be to change the tranny fluid and filter with the correct motorcraft ones.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:10 PM
buckmarkford
New User
Went to the dealer for service:

Cylinder #1 replaced coil and spark plug. Solved the idling and shifting issues. Drove it home, engine light turned on. I'm going to bet its the cats. I know the sensors are brand new looking. Going back next week.

I've got to get the upper lower ball joints, U joints, and tie rod right outer done as well. I'm surprised the truck is at 178,000 and has never had them done.

Still working on finding the leak.

This would be more fun if I had parts and tools stocked at home. ...and time.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:54 PM
fornetti14
New User
Any updates?
I'm curious to hear about what has happened or what they found.

I've been nursing a 2010 Expedition 3V 5.4L for the past 30,000 miles with a cylinder 7 misfire. No lectures! We bought it cheap this way and after replacing the coil, all plugs and #7 injector, we just decided to run her until it gets worse. At least my cam phasers are still phasing.