1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one of these two would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 02:04 PM
sivamr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one of these two would you choose?

I've been looking for a used F350 dually for a while now. Currently looking at these potential vehicles and need some expert opinion on them.

My use: Bumper pull travel trailer weighing 8k - 9k lbs about 6 times a year.

Vehicle 1:
2005 6.0L PSD 2WD Lariat Dually with 118k miles
Price : $16000
Seller has some records of maintenance, spent about $5k in 09/15 on it to replace the EGR cooler, etc.,
Vehicle condition:
Cosmetically not perfect, major scratch and dent on the passenger side rear wheel fender, sizable dent on tailgate, scratched up bed. Runs fine.

----------------------------------------------

Vehicle : 2
2002 Triton V10 2WD Lariat Dually, around 50k miles.
Price : $16000
Vehicle condition:
Looks mint. One owner. Garage kept. All scheduled maintenance done so far. No visible damage to the body. Comes with bed liner and camper top.

----------------------------------------------

Looked at 2000-2002 7.3L PSD Lariat Duallys, can't afford them at same mileage as above.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-26-2016, 02:47 PM
auburngrad
Senior User
Personally I would go with the Gasser.

I think a lot of how a truck looks, shows how well it is cared for. If someone is going to garage keep a truck, they will do the other things it needs and generally then some.

Should have plenty of power for what you need. Plus lower miles. And the V10's are solid engines.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:49 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
6.0 can be a crapshoot. It would be the better pulling vehicle but could also drain your life insurance policy. The V10 is very reliable, just have to get used to the revs. I have an '04 V10 and it pulls my enclosed trailers with up to 10k loads just fine. Yes I do get passed by the diesels, but the hood is only up when checking or changing fluids!

Old 07-26-2016, 02:51 PM
BirchyBoy
Senior User
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
I'd go with the V10 as well. Those prices seem really high though. Have you checksd the book values?

Old 07-26-2016, 03:03 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Book is probably a little lower, but I've found we really don't ever struggle to sell nice old trucks far above book. There is a limited supply. Between the condition and my personal preference for gassers, I would go for the V10 myself as well.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:08 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Gas truck, and get their price down. I don't know where you are located but that influences a lot, including price. If your heart is set on a diesel, for any reason, the go for one. Just understand the needs of each and how they operate.

Test drive, test drive , crawl underneath, push every button, open and close everything you can, drive it over small bumps, do full steering turns, and after the "I love it!" feeling overwhelms you do it all again. You'd be amazed at what you can miss.

More important than the motor is making sure its operating properly. SuperDuty parts are far from cheap.

Brakes
U-joints
Steering Linkages
Suspension parts
Shocks
Interiors

But for your needs a gas will do it and so will a diesel. Hard to argue with low mileage garage kept in immaculate condition.

Good things come to those who wait, or at least do their due diligence.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:52 PM
sivamr
New User
Thanks people for all the replies with insights.

Quick update:

I've talked to both sellers and they are willing to go down on the final pricing as follows. These are the rock bottom prices both are willing to accept.

2006 6.0L PSD seller willing to let it go at $14k
2002 v10 seller willing to go down to $15k

Does this make one preferable over other?

Thanks again!

Old 07-26-2016, 04:10 PM
Deerfield411
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would go with the gasser. For your towing weight you have not yet crossed the diesel required line. A gasser will handle the weight as easily as the diesel. It doesn't take too long to get used to the Rpms. The biggest thing in my opinion is the appearance. A truck that looks nice is one that was well cared for. You'll be a lot happier with a truck that looks nice as well.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:12 PM
BirchyBoy
Senior User
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
Have you looked here and otner sites for reliability? I know the V10 has a good reputation overall which helped me decide. I also had an independent inspection done which found a few things including a rear pinion seal and bad front wheel bearing. I bought from a dealer and they fixed both items prior to the sale. Good luck whichever way you go.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 944 Likes on 581 Posts
Door #2, Monty. Although 50k may not be that point, check exhaust manifold studs. Prone to breakage at a certain point.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:20 PM
sivamr
New User
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy
Have you looked here and otner sites for reliability? I know the V10 has a good reputation overall which helped me decide. I also had an independent inspection done which found a few things including a rear pinion seal and bad front wheel bearing. I bought from a dealer and they fixed both items prior to the sale. Good luck whichever way you go.
I'll be hiring a mechanic to do the pre-purchase inspection on whichever vehicle I decide to go with. Thanks for pointing out.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:36 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
I would go with the gas rig also, between the low miles and superior condition it sounds like the pick of the litter!
You didn't mention what rear gears it has, the deeper the gears the better it will pull and the happier you will be on the hills.
Your TT weight is well within the V-10's comfort zone, we tow our 11,000lb TT 3/6,000 miles a year with our 2V V-10 EX with an effective ratio of 4.39 and does very well. 5Star Tuning can hook you up with some very good tunes to make the truck perform/tow even better than stock.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:15 PM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Beat up exterior generally equals beat up internals also (engine, tranny, brakes, etc) - no matter what kind of maintenance records can be produced. Of the two, would be a no brainier for me - definitely the V10.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:18 AM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have to say the Gasser as well. From what you have told us the guy with the Gasser has kept good records and has kept the truck in good condition. I agree with MS SuperDuty, check all the items he listed as well.

The 6.0 guy has his truck a little banged up and some records...If I was going to purchase a 6.0 I would definitely have the whole thing checked over to make sure you arent going to have to put a ton more into it, last thing you want to do is find out you need to put more money into it.

Really it depends on what you think the best deal is for you and how much maintenance you want to do regularly, the 6.0 is going to have a higher cost for maintenance that the V10 will with filters and oil changes etc ect, so something to keep in mind

Old 07-28-2016, 12:52 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
V10 Dually is an awesome rig. I had an 08 with 60K miles and what a mistake I made getting rid of it.

once you get it, do all the fluids and all the filters. use all motorcraft products.

forget about deisels unless it will be on the road making you money and your towing what your saying your going to tow in a year, every week.

Quick Reply: Which one of these two would you choose?