1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20" or 18" wheels for Towing

Old 07-28-2016, 06:06 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Either tire will do the job. I personally like the 18's

Old 07-28-2016, 07:10 AM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Squisher
This has not been my experience. In fact the exact opposite I've found to be true. The more sidewall you have the more psi you need otherwise the tire will feel 'wobbly' under high weights. And weight ratings are given as far as I know at 80psi regardless of sidewall size.

So more sidewall might be more comfy but imo doesn't ride better, especially loaded up. The higher sidewall tire exhibits more 'tire roll' which to me is a worse ride.

This is my experience switching it up nearly daily between my '11 with 295/60/20's and my '03 with 265/75/16's.
As has been mentioned below, weight and pressure ratings are left to the manufacturer. I should have prefaced my "more sidewall will ride better " comment with "during daily driving, not towing." Of course you will run the higher psi for full load capacity. I said that in my post! I run under 50 psi when unloaded on my 20s and there is a significant difference in ride quality. I challenge you to drive an '11 truck that has 18s on it back to back with your truck. If you don't notice a difference, then your point is proven, but some of us will and do. Maybe my "meter" is calibrated better due to years in the automotive business comparing different vehicles and setups. Or because I still drive different vehicles all the time.

Originally Posted by 89LX306
Your sidewall height difference between those two tire sizes is less than 1". You must have a highly calibrated butt meter.

As far as max psi and weight ratings...that is determined by the manufacturer. My E rated Toyo RTs have a max weight rating of 3860 lbs at 65 psi.

Either way...I think we are talking about something that is subjective when it comes to ride quality. I agree with you on running lower psi when unloaded.
Well said. I think that most of the ride improvement is due to the highly advanced differences between front leaf and coil springs as well as the '11 having 8" longer rear leafsprings and one less leaf than even the '08-"10s had. I see that you have a Carli Suspension leveling kit and I'm sure you have read the vast amounts of research that Carli has done explaining these very differences this thread is talking about. I would trust a very successful suspension company's findings over any anecdotal responses here.

Yah at current tread levels a solid inch of difference in sidewall and 2.5-3" in width. Obviously different tires/trucks and no matter what rubber was wrapped on either one the '11 is going to be more comfy. Even though the '03 is in fantastic condition and highly maintained. I've been towing heavy with Ford 1tons for over 20 years now and the 20's for just the last year. The lower profile and way wider tire handle while towing way better than anything I've previously had on a 1ton. The ride loaded or empty isn't harsh and I feel much less tire roll than I do on my '03. No one would need that sensitive of a butt to feel the difference between the two tires.

Also I've been running e-rated tires just as long and I've never owned one that has its max rating at less than 80psi but I've never had many huge tires either. Those are some real nice looking treads you have I looked them up.
You definitely have a lot of great experience with E load tires. Technology has improved immensely in the last decade and ratings, tread design as well as ride quality has too.

It's true. Nitpicking 18's or 20's to death is pointless. Get the ones you want knowing that 20"s will have slightly more expensive rubber. Your choice in tire brand, style, and size along with how you set them up psi wise are going to have a lot more to do with ride/handling than the size of the hole in the middle.
This is the best post summing it up!

Although, once taken off pavement, sidewall will play a larger role.
I recommend anyone here to read the Carli Suspension threads over at powerstroke.org to see what they have found through extensive testing.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:32 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gustrider4
Does the larger 20" rim fit under the truck? i believe my size is 265/75/20. (34.8) they are oem larait wheels

I would imagine it would with stock tires, but I can't say for sure. I haven't tried it yet with the 37, but I have heard of other people getting them under there with a 37" tall tire.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
I challenge you to drive an '11 truck that has 18s on it back to back with your truck. If you don't notice a difference, then your point is proven, but some of us will and do. Maybe my "meter" is calibrated better due to years in the automotive business comparing different vehicles and setups. Or because I still drive different vehicles all the time.
Well I won't hold my breath on finding a 11+ truck with essentially 18" 35"x12.50s on it that I can drive back to back with my '11.

But I will give you this, seems your butt is more sensitive than mine. . Just razzing ya man.

I'll agree comparing all these different trucks and tires and sizes is purely subjective. The only correct answer I see is the one I knew all along. My truck is setup perfectly.........for me.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
My xl has the 17" alloys. I leave my tires inflated to fords recommendations, which is I believe 75 in the front, and 80 rear. My truck still rides very good empty, especially for a 3/4 ton 4x4 in my opinion. Granted, I am lucky enough to live in a state with some of the best roads in the nation. I can't see you not being able to drop the air pressure in the 20's to get a satisfactory ride. How often are you going to have to worry with inflating your tires to run a max load?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:10 PM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I have a set of those alloys new never mounted that were meant as winter rims for my truck. Previous owner bought them and included them in the sale. I parked my rig last winter but if I ever winter drive it that's what will be getting mounted up and then I'd really be able to tell the difference. I have no doubt it's cushier, but for me that's not the most important. I like to throw my truck through some corners now and then too. I've been flamed on here before for saying it, but that doesn't change my opinion on it. The truck handles great with big lowish profile tires.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:00 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
I have a set of those alloys new never mounted that were meant as winter rims for my truck. Previous owner bought them and included them in the sale. I parked my rig last winter but if I ever winter drive it that's what will be getting mounted up and then I'd really be able to tell the difference. I have no doubt it's cushier, but for me that's not the most important. I like to throw my truck through some corners now and then too. I've been flamed on here before for saying it, but that doesn't change my opinion on it. The truck handles great with big lowish profile tires.
Read the Carli threads! People rave about their ability to corner after installation. I would have to go back myself and reread some posts, but I believe that they even recommend removing the stabilizer bars with the 4.5" lift.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:02 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Well I won't hold my breath on finding a 11+ truck with essentially 18" 35"x12.50s on it that I can drive back to back with my '11.

But I will give you this, seems your butt is more sensitive than mine. . Just razzing ya man.

I'll agree comparing all these different trucks and tires and sizes is purely subjective. The only correct answer I see is the one I knew all along. My truck is setup perfectly.........for me.
Lol, yeah I may be more sensitive...