1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

NO Progress in awhile seem to be stuck in limbo land

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 04:50 PM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NO Progress in awhile seem to be stuck in limbo land

So I am to the point where I need to bleed the brakes, build or buy an exhaust system, get a drive shaft made and fire it up for the 1st time, but, it seems like a I've stalled out with all this 110 degree weather (no A/C in garage) don't know whether to haul it to a muffler shop and let them build and exhaust or just see if I can buy 390 ford pipes from the exhaust manifolds back and then make my own.. seems like I should be able to get all this done in a week or so, but it's been a month and I haven't got squat done except mount my PS Pump, and get it plumbed up. If only I had one of them TV shows it'd be on the road in 24hrs!!!

Old 07-25-2016, 05:04 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Don, we all hit that wall. I've had so many stops, backups, detours, total-outs it would make you shout happy things. Started in 1995 and still working. Had to take a month off due to a hip replacement and it's putting me further behind. my advice ?? Take a week off and do something else fun. Then come back and pick one part... measure up the drive shaft and go get it made, come home and install it... then... stand there and look at it and smile. next task... don't think about anything but that task and do it...look at it and smile. Before you know it, your list is done and that thing is idling in the garage waiting for it's first burnout... Sometimes we have to step back and recharge.. believe me, I've done it several times and it always gets me back on track.. hang in there and gud luck.... John

Old 07-25-2016, 06:18 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I parked the beast a month ago. Pulled the hood, grill, radiator and hood side panels (it's the 38 Studebaker) in starting the engine pull to replace the wooden rear seal. Yes it really is wood. The heat has put a halt to anything being done in the garage. One good thing my wife actually suggested I get a window A/C unit so I can get it back up and running and have some fun with it!!! This from the person that didn't even want to get in it sitting in the garage, forget about being out on the road! Maybe the heat has gotten to her in a good way.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:02 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Don, I wish I had your predicament. I got so much stuff to do on mine. Like the fellas said, one thing at a time. I have a squirrel cage to blow on me to help with the heat. Wish I could get it up on the roof I've been working on.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:23 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My work has slowed down so much since the 96 degree days for 2 weeks. I get out in the garage for about an hour a day now. I had big plans and goals for this summer that I know I can't reach now. I know winter will shutdown the build too. What can you do but hang in there and keep at it.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:33 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I think there is a heat wave everywhere, my A/C in the house has been on for I think a month straight. No A/C in the garage though, but I think it is cooler in there than outside just from the concrete floor.
Anywho it works for me to list the tasks at hand and break them up into smaller jobs, that way every day you can check something off, even if it is a small item.
Driveshaft you can make yourself if you trust your welding, I made a thread on doing it at home awhile ago.
Same deal with exhaust, you can make your own if you want, or buy a universal system and mod as needed. Summit has some nice dual systems for not a lot of cash that can be used to fit a lot of different vehicles.
One thing at a time and it will get done, just have to keep pressing even when the resto changes from exciting to just plain old hard work.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:45 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I haven't touched mine either. I'm in Tucson and it's too dang hot to do much. I run my dogs at 5:30 and then get in the pool with the grand kids most of the day.

I tried to do stuff in the garage but the fan just blows hot air. People are dying in this heat. Just wait it out. If it's too hot to be fun, why bother?

Old 07-26-2016, 03:32 AM
1949f1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 373 Likes on 160 Posts
Don, Mine set for 5 years and I did nothing with it so don't feel bad. I just started on it again this summer and now I try to work on it in this heat with a fan blowing on me

Old 07-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the words of encouragement, seems to be a never ending process, I have set a goal to have the exhaust & Driveshaft in and the engine started within a month (8/26/2016)! Regardless of the heat, my pinstriping obsession, keeping my horses in shape and all the other stuff I got going on. Once I get that done, it's bed wood, side glass, interior and put the hood on, not specifically in that order. We all should have a support group and we go from build to build helping out for a day...lol

Old 07-26-2016, 02:20 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don your plan of having these things done on 8/26 is great -- that's my birthday and maybe you will give me the truck as a surprise birthday gift�� !! A guy can always dream.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:00 PM
luvmy51
New User
There are days I wonder if I will ever ride in the front of my truck before I have to ride in the back.
My ex wife fought me for ownership during our divorce. I finally won but then had no money to work on it. After a few years of the truck sitting I am working on it again. Now I live in Illinois and the truck is at my sons in Michigan. When I can I drive 5 hours on the weekend to work on it. I am doing a frame off restoration and have just started the build. To keep from getting down about it I include working on little jobs along the way and at least I feel I am one step closer.
Hang in there.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:18 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You are most definitely not alone Don. Both heat and cold are instant procrastinators for me. One thing I have found that helps, is to organize and set the parts, tools and such for whatever I want to do as my next project next to the truck, so all I have to do is start working. It seems like many times Ill go out to the garage and look at my disorganized mess of parts and tools, only to turn right around and go back in the house. Another thing that works real well is if my wife and I are doing one of those silly bickering things, ( I know it's hard to believe but every once in a while, right) I get motivated to work on the truck. LOL Any way don't sweat it your rolling rite along at a pretty good clip on yours. Sometimes Ill get motivated in the middle of the night and end up under the truck in my boxers, at least it's cool huh.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:47 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
too much information, Jim... too much

Old 07-27-2016, 09:07 AM
toby tough
Posting Guru
I'd work on mine at night but the state birds(skeeters) would eat me alive.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:01 AM
filthy6
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Vito
Thanks for the words of encouragement, seems to be a never ending process, I have set a goal to have the exhaust & Driveshaft in and the engine started within a month (8/26/2016)! Regardless of the heat, my pinstriping obsession, keeping my horses in shape and all the other stuff I got going on. Once I get that done, it's bed wood, side glass, interior and put the hood on, not specifically in that order. We all should have a support group and we go from build to build helping out for a day...lol
From where I sit....and trust me.....I am sitting, it looks like you have a pretty full diversified life. As long as you are doing anything productive on whatever subject I think you are good. I never make any decisions in extreme heat or cold.

Quick Reply: NO Progress in awhile seem to be stuck in limbo land