Sponsored by: Moser

Now I know why the PO sold this F'ing truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 03:53 PM
donthekawguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I know why the PO sold this F'ing truck

I'm into hour 5 of trying to put the alternator and new bracket set up from L and L on. It's an alternator for gods sake WTF? The brackets don't line up, the pulley was hard as hell to change out and it's hot as hell out. I have had this truck for a week and I'm allready getting sick of it. The tech from L and L hasn't called back for any help and the directions they sent with the bracket kit suck. Welp done for today because I work a 12 hour shift tonight.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:02 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Slow down and take a breath.

Did you confirm that is the correct alt bracket for your engine?

BTW, I knew why the PO's sold my F'ing truck before I even bought it. Take yer time, it ain't a race. More fun to slow down and enjoy the ride.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:09 PM
donthekawguy
Senior User
It's the big alt kit from L and L. Spoke with the guy before I ordered it and another member recommended it so I'm sure it's the right one but for some reason it isn't fitting right on my truck. The directions don't say how to bolt it on and the pictures were taken with a 1973 potato and are useless. I think the heat and the fact that I have installed 6 billion alternators in my life and this one won't go in are pissing me off. Oh and I quit smoking a month ago. lol

Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 PM
9thPony
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by donthekawguy
Oh and I quit smoking a month ago. lol
Sounds like a good time to start drinking

Seriously though, take a deep breath, step back, and try analyzing why it doesn't fit correctly. Is there a possibility that you don't have the motor you think you do (motor swap by PO maybe)? If the motor is correct, any aftermarket parts causing issues? Is the alternator correct for the motor? Since this is a new to you truck check all assumptions.

On my truck I had a heck of a time getting the CVF racing alternator bracket to install. I tracked my issues back to my repro water pump casting interfering with the alt bracket causing it to install at an angle. Little things like this can bite you in the *** when working on these trucks.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:20 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So, based on the thread title, he sold it because he knew that you couldnt install an alternator and bracket?!

That dude was psychic, and a bit crafty

Old 07-25-2016, 09:23 PM
jakeharp
Fleet Mechanic
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
yup

I second the drinking.... nothing goes right on my ride until I crack a brew....

Old 07-25-2016, 10:41 PM
donthekawguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
So, based on the thread title, he sold it because he knew that you couldnt install an alternator and bracket?!

That dude was psychic, and a bit crafty
He told me the alt was bad and when the carb started leaking gas he had enough. I thought yeah no problem I can fix that easy. Famous last words.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:44 PM
FORD~
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I couldn't help but think of animal house quote, my advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

May I suggest that you post a photo of your bracket issues? That would help people to better understand your problem. Maybe it's as simple as fabing a spacer or the like.

Sometimes you need a little patience with these rigs, especially where a PO monkeyed with stuff. Also, especially if you put aftermarket parts on your rig. Like when I installed my headers and the durn collector was pointed straight at the shift linkage. Adapt, improvise, overcome.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:45 PM
donthekawguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 9thPony
Sounds like a good time to start drinking

Seriously though, take a deep breath, step back, and try analyzing why it doesn't fit correctly. Is there a possibility that you don't have the motor you think you do (motor swap by PO maybe)? If the motor is correct, any aftermarket parts causing issues? Is the alternator correct for the motor? Since this is a new to you truck check all assumptions.

On my truck I had a heck of a time getting the CVF racing alternator bracket to install. I tracked my issues back to my repro water pump casting interfering with the alt bracket causing it to install at an angle. Little things like this can bite you in the *** when working on these trucks.
It has a 460 swapped into it from what I have no idea. It is either a 460 or 429 but the are the same block correct? Not sure why the thing is off by that much. Maybe the car and truck motors had different heads or something like that.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:50 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I hear ya. These trucks are only "fun" when it is a second vehicle. Or for some of these guys, when it is your second, third, fourth and fifth...

Does the 460 have the spacer behind it?

Old 07-25-2016, 11:13 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
It is amazing how things will go differently if you step away from them for awhile.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome to the world of "POs". You're a bona fide member now!

That's why I say "Don't be that PO" if and when ya sell your rig.

Personally, I would have tackled the alternator bracket down the road since it worked and would have move forward with fixing/correcting more pressing hacks.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:40 AM
donthekawguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Welcome to the world of "POs". You're a bona fide member now!

That's why I say "Don't be that PO" if and when ya sell your rig.

Personally, I would have tackled the alternator bracket down the road since it worked and would have move forward with fixing/correcting more pressing hacks.
I thought the alt was bad so I figured might as well do the bracket and alt first so I can get it to run at least. But I had the alt tested and it's good. When I got the truck I checked the output at the battery and it was reading 12.1. Turns out the regulator was bad so I changed that out. I do still have the home made bracket and if I don't get this figured out its going back on. The next thing on the list is the brake line that is squirting fluid out. lol Brakes are kind of important. I did drive it home 40 miles though. I couldn't shut it off when getting gas and had to stop every 10 miles or so to fill the MC. That was fun.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:43 AM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
It's not the trucks fault that 90% of aftermarket parts don't fit.

Old 07-26-2016, 01:54 AM
donthekawguy
Senior User
Originally Posted by 78_f800crewcab4x4
It's not the trucks fault that 90% of aftermarket parts don't fit.
True. I think I let the 90 degree heat and the frustrating instructions get to me. The truck is solid and should e a good one once I get all the bugs worked out. I think the worst thing about it is it has a really loud squeak in the cab somewhere.

Quick Reply: Now I know why the PO sold this F'ing truck