Sponsored by: DP Tuner

motor just quit, no idea why

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:35 AM
birddogcrazy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motor just quit, no idea why

Hi guys and gals. I have a 2000 ford f250 superduty 4x4 with the 7.3 in it. has 350,000 miles on it. I was driving it Saturday , no problems, pulled in to pay a bill, got back in it, it started up great, pulled on to highway went 10 yards and the motor just died- is not locked up. coasted into a BBQ place, would not start, motor is turning over. had it towed home, a buddy of mine who does work on diesels, came over for a few minutes out of his very busy schedule, tested to make sure fuel pump was working which it is. i also last month did have new injector o=rings put in too so i doubt its that. my buddy says he has another with same thing at the havy equipment place he works at, still trying to figure it out. any ideas would be healthful

Old 07-25-2016, 11:42 AM
pirschwagon
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by birddogcrazy
. i also last month did have new injector o=rings put in
Always begin where the last repair was done and work from there.

Check all fuses. You may have a short in the fuel heater or other circuit which is on the PCM/IDM Circuit.

Get a Scantool and monitor ICP while cranking. Ned 500+ psig to fire.

Check the UVCH's and #42 Pin Connector.

Air test the HPO. I'd guess an O-ring(s) or injector(s) have loosened allowing oil to escape.

You could also remove the valve covers and witness the oil while cranking. If, its leaking somewhere.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did he test the fuel pump? Did he just listen for the pump turning on, or did he check actual fuel pressure?

Kind of a trick question- Unless you have previously installed the required adapter fittings on the fuel bowl, there is no way to check fuel pressure on a 7.3L)
You'll need these in order to hook up a pressure gauge:
1/8" NPT 90º elbow pressure port adapter.
Fuel rated Schrader valve for testing fuel pressure. Rated for Diesel or Gas.

It kind of sounds like a lack of fuel. Even if the pump is turning on, it may not be pumping enough volume to maintain a minimum of 50psi. Did the truck really just suddenly shut off, or did it sort of sputter to a stop? If it sort of sputtered or died somewhat gradually, its likely to be a fuel delivery issue. (Pump, in tank pickup clogged, filter clogged, etc..)

If it really, really was just an instant off, then its more likely to be an electrical/sensor issue, such as a failed CMP (cam sensor), or possibly ICP sensor.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:07 PM
birddogcrazy
New User
it went from running to just dead, no sputterin or bucking

Old 07-25-2016, 12:24 PM
birddogcrazy
New User
i know he check power to it i believe, plus made sure fuel was flowing thru to it and out, i was not there, had to get to work

Old 07-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Is this a case where the cam position sensor could be the culprit?

Old 07-25-2016, 12:38 PM
birddogcrazy
New User
i am wondering the same thing, what is the life of the sensor, i replaced one about 150,000 to 200,000 miles ago

Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
i am wondering the same thing, what is the life of the sensor, i replaced one about 150,000 to 200,000 miles ago
I think you are well past the expected failure point for a CMP. They are cheap ( less then $20), so I would go ahead an replace it and see what happens. Worst case, its not the problem and you have a spare. Just remember, OEM Ford or International ONLY. I didn't believe it, and I spent months ( and Thou$and$) chasing a problem that 3 aftermarket sensors didn't fix and 1 oem did.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:56 PM
birddogcrazy
New User
i guess borg-warner not good

Old 07-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Sensors and other electronics are not like gears, brake rotors or other mechanical parts, they can poop out at any time and even be defective right out of the box.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds either ICP or CPS related based on all facts that I have read to this post...and agree with the post that states your well past the change out interval...

Old 07-25-2016, 01:14 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
i guess borg-warner not good
In the case of 7.3L cam sensors, no. If you do some searching there is a thread somewhere where someone bought and dissected a whole boatload of different available cam sensors for the 7.3L, and explained, in detail, the differences and wide variation in component design and manufacturing details, and why each was good or bad for performance/reliability.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Sensors and other electronics are not like gears, brake rotors or other mechanical parts, they can poop out at any time and even be defective right out of the box.
True. A CMP is not going to "wear" out like a mechanical part. Over time, heat and vibration, and possible intrusion of water/salt/chemicals can kill it though; either through damage to the electronics and/or possible weakening of the magnetic field over time ( due to heat/vibration).
In any case, I was simply pointing out that the odds were no longer in the op's favor, as far as the cmp still working. Its not so much the mileage, or "wear". Just given these trucks propensity for fairly common cmp sensor failure, statistically speaking, having gone 200k without one, he is kind of "due" for one. Unscientifically speaking of course. Plus, its a cheap "guess".

Old 07-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by carguy3j
True. A CMP is not going to "wear" out like a mechanical part. Over time, heat and vibration, and possible intrusion of water/salt/chemicals can kill it though; either through damage to the electronics and/or possible weakening of the magnetic field over time ( due to heat/vibration).
In any case, I was simply pointing out that the odds were no longer in the op's favor, as far as the cmp still working. Its not so much the mileage, or "wear". Just given these trucks propensity for fairly common cmp sensor failure, statistically speaking, having gone 200k without one, he is kind of "due" for one. Unscientifically speaking of course. Plus, its a cheap "guess".
I understand and no doubt that time is an enemy for anything and everything. I was just pointing out to birddogcrazy that I wouldn't rule out a CPS even it was fairly new, sensors can go at any time.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:47 PM
DieselDenny
Cargo Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Unplug the fuel bowl regardless. Change the fuse anyway. Grab an oem grey cps and install it.

I'm not seeing a fuel filter sentence...........

You just started it and drove 10 yards. Sounds like one of the above to me.

Denny

Old 07-27-2016, 10:16 AM
birddogcrazy
New User
Update: I changed out the CAM sensor first since it had been a long time since it was replaced, over 150,000 miles, but that did not help but for $30 from ford it was worth putting new one in. Pulled the ICP sensor which was full of oil - sure sign it went bad and shorted out. I then had a ICP sensor brought to me from o'reilly auto part since it was after hours for ford to be open- $170 dollars later it was back to running again. ICP i removed looked like original from FORD so i guess after 351,000 miles it went bad . I kept the old CAM sensor just in case i needed it since i doubt its bad, will buy another new one to have in case also. As a side note, a buddy who works on diesels also had another ford, had not been started in a year, lots of wires chewed on he had to fix, bought a borg werner cam sensor from o'reilly's cause his shop account is there plus its like 200 yards from his garage - put it in would not work, told him about what i read from you guys about using just international or ford only cam sensors, put one in, fired right up

Quick Reply: motor just quit, no idea why