2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Will 2017 SDs to Get CarPlay & Android Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 11:15 AM
AZFordLover
Tuned
Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts
From the article, emphasis mine.

Ford also assures those interested in buying the upcoming F-150, Focus, Edge and all-new 2017 Super Duty when they come out later this year that they'll have access to Google's and Apple's in-car tech. "Ford is not taking the traditional approach of introducing Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto on a few piecemeal models or as an expensive option on luxury vehicles only," said Jeffrey Hannah from automotive technology research firm SBD. "The guesswork for consumers is over -- if you buy any 2017 Ford vehicle with SYNC 3, you drive off the lot with both of these innovative technologies ready to go."

Old 07-25-2016, 11:15 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
This is an easy answer - you have to have the 8" touchscreen with Sync 3. You DO NOT have to have Navigation built in.

The 2017 Super Duty will either come with Car Play or it can be flashed for free. The 2016 F-150 we bought will be flashed for free by the dealer when it becomes available. That vehicle has Sync 3 but no nav.

In reality, what would you want Car Play for except to stream the nav off your phone?
When I read the Sync 3 information I believe it shuts down most Sync 3 functions when streaming navigation from Android.

The function I hope it brings most to Android is the ability to transmit Waze reports to the speakers rather than the phone speaker. That function is not available on my Kenwood BT receiver unless I go specifically to BT or I am talking on the phone connection.

Old 07-25-2016, 11:59 AM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AZFordLover
Ford plans to install Apple CarPlay, Android Auto in entire 2017 lineup

[Emphasis mine]

“Customers considering a new vehicle can now choose any 2017 model year Ford car, SUV, light truck or electrified vehicle with SYNC 3 and be able to access their favorite apps.”

He says light truck - does that mean SDs will get SYNC 3 w/ CarPlay & Android Auto or does that mean we will not?

I realize that a lot of folks could not care less; but for some of us, having a constantly updated nav system (with real time traffic) is critical to our work.
To answer your question.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/25/...apple-carplay/

Old 07-26-2016, 07:09 AM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Morning all, I drove two F-250's and two F-350's this past weekend at a SD Drive event at a farm show in KS...Apple Car Play was fully functional on all models with a full NAV screen (KR and Plat) I cannot speak for availability without the NAV, didn't ask. The Ford guys told us you had to have your iPhone plugged in via usb (now right below the center stack...near where the upfitters are now) to access and use the Apple Car Play functions due to Apple security protocols. I didnt have more than 20 minutes in each truck, and was focused elsewhere, but I suspect this to be false. Seems fishy to have an Apple system (albeit running on a Ford platform) require a physical tether, rather than Bluetooth.

Bottom line, the trucks are sick, the tech is UNREAL, and my '15 is for sale. LOL

Old 07-26-2016, 07:31 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by NStorm
The Ford guys told us you had to have your iPhone plugged in via usb (now right below the center stack...near where the upfitters are now) to access and use the Apple Car Play functions due to Apple security protocols. I didnt have more than 20 minutes in each truck, and was focused elsewhere, but I suspect this to be false. Seems fishy to have an Apple system (albeit running on a Ford platform) require a physical tether, rather than Bluetooth.
I think the Ford guy is right, and I think this is the way it works on every car with this functionality. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Bluetooth is very low bandwidth. All the Ford system is doing is replicating the Apple / Android screens on the larger car screen and allowing the touchscreen controls / steering controls to operate them. Your phone is still doing all the work. But just to transfer the video back and forth would require a lot of bandwidth...and thus the USB connection makes sense.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:32 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 432 Likes on 138 Posts
Morning all, I drove two F-250's and two F-350's this past weekend at a SD Drive event at a farm show in KS...Apple Car Play was fully functional on all models with a full NAV screen (KR and Plat) I cannot speak for availability without the NAV, didn't ask. The Ford guys told us you had to have your iPhone plugged in via usb (now right below the center stack...near where the upfitters are now) to access and use the Apple Car Play functions due to Apple security protocols. I didnt have more than 20 minutes in each truck, and was focused elsewhere, but I suspect this to be false. Seems fishy to have an Apple system (albeit running on a Ford platform) require a physical tether, rather than Bluetooth.

Bottom line, the trucks are sick, the tech is UNREAL, and my '15 is for sale. LOL
From my understanding, Apple Car Play only works while plugged in via USB. I think Apple is in the process of upgrading to make it work via BT, but it does not as of yet.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
The Navigation system offered is associated with Sirius and features a 5 year prepaid subscription. The basis is Travel Link which includes weather, sports, gas and fuel pricing and locations etc. There is an option from Sirius to add Traffic Link which will give alerts and routing for major highways for a monthly fee.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
I think the Ford guy is right, and I think this is the way it works on every car with this functionality. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Bluetooth is very low bandwidth. All the Ford system is doing is replicating the Apple / Android screens on the larger car screen and allowing the touchscreen controls / steering controls to operate them. Your phone is still doing all the work. But just to transfer the video back and forth would require a lot of bandwidth...and thus the USB connection makes sense.
Ah makes sense....the replicating.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:07 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
From my understanding, Apple Car Play only works while plugged in via USB. I think Apple is in the process of upgrading to make it work via BT, but it does not as of yet.
THAT would be optimal. I dislike cords.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:09 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rasalas
The Navigation system offered is associated with Sirius and features a 5 year prepaid subscription. The basis is Travel Link which includes weather, sports, gas and fuel pricing and locations etc. There is an option from Sirius to add Traffic Link which will give alerts and routing for major highways for a monthly fee.
5 years eh? Pretty good upgrade from the 6 months. Probably laying down some cash somewhere in the deal for that.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:48 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
5 years eh? Pretty good upgrade from the 6 months. Probably laying down some cash somewhere in the deal for that.
The standard satellite is only 6 mos...the nav is 5 years

Old 07-27-2016, 07:06 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
THAT would be optimal. I dislike cords.
I think the USB port(s) are under a cover at the front of the center console. The idea is you plug your phone in and then close the cover - totally out of sight. If you were using a Bluetooth transfer for a long period of time while driving, the phone's battery would deplete fairly quickly. Therefore, the USB connection keeps the phone charged and provides fast connectivity. Plus, the manufacturers want to keep your hands and eyes as far away from the phone while driving as possible!

Old 07-27-2016, 10:47 AM
EightySecond
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Apple Car Play pic just posted in Josh's We Own Work thread... didn't see a cord on the phone.

ETA: Ok he said it is corded.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:08 AM
charlesweaver3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Josh did mention though that it was plugged in..

Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
I think the USB port(s) are under a cover at the front of the center console. The idea is you plug your phone in and then close the cover - totally out of sight. If you were using a Bluetooth transfer for a long period of time while driving, the phone's battery would deplete fairly quickly. Therefore, the USB connection keeps the phone charged and provides fast connectivity. Plus, the manufacturers want to keep your hands and eyes as far away from the phone while driving as possible!
Makes sense.

Thanks all.