Extremely unhappy Montana owner right now!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 12:02 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Hope this gets worked out for you. We have a 2012 Heartland Sundance and have only had WH issues that warranty took care of...though they didn't listen to me upon delivery that the gas was not igniting. Oh well, fixed now, but thankfully no major integrity issues.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any resolution to your problems Monty?

Old 08-18-2016, 07:22 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
No Mike, not yet. I had to take it to the dealer today for them to take pics that I've already sent them. They claim the video I sent them didn't show anything. They asked for pic. I sent them. Then they requested I take it to the dealer. That was what today was about. They even wanted pics of the rear bumper and the pin box. Have no idea why. So, I'll just have to see. Keystone is only talking to the dealer now.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Maybe they wanted pictures of the rear bumper to see if someone had run into it or you backed into a tree or something which may compromise the front of the frame depending on the impact speed.

Just silly that they seem to be dragging their feet when a solution seemed to be coming quickly.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:40 AM
Able Dog
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montana has had this problem, on and off, for several years. The problem is with the welds in the hitch plate. Go to the Montana owner site and you will find a lot of useful information on this problem.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:37 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
UPDATE!! When the front Filon was removed, the source of the flex was revealed. I am happy to report that no broken welds, cracked or split steel was found. The cause of the movement turns out to be a sidewall glue that has come loose. Actually, doesn't appear that much adhesive was used. Anyway, Montana has approved for a marine facility to repair the wall. Actually, the wall just pulled away from the beam running along the floor of the camper. Luckily, my dealer is 2 miles away from Lake Lanier and has dozens of places that could repair it nearby. Funny thing is the resin/glue/adhesive is a marine product, it'a a no brainer. The camper is already there and is supposed to be glued and clamped today, if not, tomorrow morning. It will have to stay clamped fro 48 hours to cure. Then it will be taken back to the dealer and the filon and trim put back on and caulked. It may be ready this weekend, but may be first of the week before I can pick her up. Here is a pic. You are looking from under the nose of the camper, on the street side, up at the bottom of the bedroom slide.
Name:  IMG_1259_zpsnukejjkn.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  567.4 KB

Old 09-28-2016, 08:09 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Glad to hear that. It sounds like a happy ending to what might have been a major problem.

I'm in the process of going over ours inch by inch after our just completed second 7000 plus mile trip across the velvet smooth roads here in the USA. So far only a missing nyloc nut on the steps (replaced) and an emergency window that failed its 'hinges' which I will repair tomorrow.

Just a heads up on those hinges on frameless escape windows - they are only two aluminum pop rivets that set in a notch on a mating piece of molding with the window side glued in 2 small areas to the glass, now 100% J-B Weld attached.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Able Dog
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, the problem turned out to be a lack of quality control on the part of Keystone/Montana. I was talking with an executive from Holiday Rambler years ago and he was telling me that because the industry had gone to "piece work" quality control had become almost impossible. The workers would rush to finish the units on the line and run over to work on the units of another manufacture. He said these folks might work for three different manufactures. If they finished early, they had more time to do their farm work.

The manufactures will continue to lower the quality because it results in these things becoming lighter. And that means that the average buyer won't be out the expense of a one ton dually.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:26 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Manufacturers simply respond to demand by making what sells. As long as they can sell all they make and there is no negative consequence for doing it the way they do, the current state of affairs will continue.

The assemble lines have been running the same way for decades. I have visited a good number of them. As soon as the workers "touch as many units" as they have to, they are done for the day. That really hasn't changed in a very long time.

Steve

Old 09-29-2016, 03:55 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Able Dog
So, the problem turned out to be a lack of quality control on the part of Keystone/Montana. I was talking with an executive from Holiday Rambler years ago and he was telling me that because the industry had gone to "piece work" quality control had become almost impossible. The workers would rush to finish the units on the line and run over to work on the units of another manufacture. He said these folks might work for three different manufactures. If they finished early, they had more time to do their farm work.

The manufactures will continue to lower the quality because it results in these things becoming lighter. And that means that the average buyer won't be out the expense of a one ton dually.

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Manufacturers simply respond to demand by making what sells. As long as they can sell all they make and there is no negative consequence for doing it the way they do, the current state of affairs will continue.

The assemble lines have been running the same way for decades. I have visited a good number of them. As soon as the workers "touch as many units" as they have to, they are done for the day. That really hasn't changed in a very long time.

Steve
My apologies for the side track Monty, and this isn't directed towards your scenario or Montana but in response to the above quotes relating to the entire RV industry.

This is what scares me about a lot of what I have seen over the past few weeks in my searching (looking at 5th wheels at dealerships and researching online).

When a factory schedules a tour I would assume the workers will have some kind of "heads up". What happens when the tours aren't running? Like I told my service advisor when I took my truck in for service on Monday (just got it back today - 4 days in) - don't rush the tech's, I'm in no hurry. Haste makes waste. That goes for a lot of industries and not just RV's. Corporations that are only in an industry to put a dollar in their pockets seem all too often eager to put aside quality for quantity = money money money.

Like Steve says - if the companies are selling the RV's they make they will keep things on track. What is a shame that's driving it is non-informed buyers drinking koolaid from the salesmen and not thinking through what they're getting. Salesmen are good at selling. If you don't know what goes in to what you want (why one construction technique is better over another etc) you're at the mercy of koolaid.

I may drink some koolaid, but I also study the nutrition facts and pay attention to the serving size.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:41 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
Florida Law Firm Launches RV Warranty Investigation
If this goes anywhere, maybe the next generation will be able to get some quality built RVs.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:40 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I ordered my Haulmark 40ft gn new in 1997. I went to Indiana to pick it up. I did a walk around. The inside trim around the windows was put on by a blind guy and was hacked. I made them replace it. Not perfect, but at least it was not crushed/mangled. One tail light was AWOL, and they found a faulty scotch lock(ya, they suck).

In all, in the last 19 yrs it has been pretty trouble free. I tell everyone that these units are NOT built by Norm Abrams, so don't expect any kind of real quality. I can't imagine getting something new today?

Old 09-30-2016, 05:27 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
No problems with the side track. I really don't see it as that. Thanks for your contribution.
Yes, lack of quality control really got to the industry in '08..and yep, not really surprised at the quality, but however i did expect a little more out of Montanas considering their reputation. But, that's my fault.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:50 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by golfmedik
No problems with the side track. I really don't see it as that. Thanks for your contribution.
Yes, lack of quality control really got to the industry in '08..and yep, not really surprised at the quality, but however i did expect a little more out of Montanas considering their reputation. But, that's my fault.
Being that I just bought a new Montana this summer, I have been watching this thread and your other on MOC closely.
This is my first brand new and only my 3rd camper overall.

For your one that is missing the glue in that location, how many did they make that aren't?
Like anything that is built or touched by human hands you will have issues arise.

Not busting your chops and happy to see it wasn't a major frame issue just giving a different perspective.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:16 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Ford79
Being that I just bought a new Montana this summer, I have been watching this thread and your other on MOC closely.
This is my first brand new and only my 3rd camper overall.

For your one that is missing the glue in that location, how many did they make that aren't?
Like anything that is built or touched by human hands you will have issues arise.

Not busting your chops and happy to see it wasn't a major frame issue just giving a different perspective.
I completely understand your position. I am glad it wasn't more as well, however having owned two other brand new campers in the last 6 years, this one has been back to the dealer more than the other two combined. And I've only had it since April. Plus, it will have to go back at least once more to have the side skirts repaired. Something that they know is a problem and still produce new ones without changing a thing. It's only cosmetic as people say, however every rear basement door has had to be resealed at least three times so far and will have to be done again after repair. We all know how important water proofing is on these things, yet they still manufacture them in the same manner. Just highly irritating!!

Quick Reply: Extremely unhappy Montana owner right now!