Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Rust just starting....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink Rust just starting....

On roof just above 2 of my doors-paint bubbling........

At TOP of passengers side windshield moulding-paint bubbling......

Wondering if anyone elso has rust in these areas and what can be done to stop it NOW?

Rest of my L99 F350 CC Dually is real nice and still wears original paint.

Thanks Guys!

Old 07-24-2016, 09:02 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Supercab
On roof just above 2 of my doors-paint bubbling........
Wondering if anyone elso has rust in these areas and what can be done to stop it Now?

Thanks Guys!
Well I cant help much on the truck stuff as these trucks are new to me, but rust on the other hand I know well. Typically speaking if it is actually bubbling the paint it is probably a little worse than you might expect. Those are typical locations for rust in all trucks not just these. If it were mine I would get a good sanding disk and sand down the bubbles and see just how deep that the pits are. Once cleaned out and down to bare metal you can use spray galv and or rust converter from Eastwood. This will kill the rust and keep it in check until you want to do some minor skimming with body filler and repaint. Unfortunately you have to mess up the paint to get to it, and if you don't it continues to get worse until it eats all the way through... The procedure to repair holes is more complex and more expensive than pitted surface rust. I strongly suggest you take the worst spot and take a look at what is going on and decide from there. Don't let anyone just apply body filler and paint it. It will come back and start bubbling the paint in a year or so.. Good luck and If I can help in any way let me know.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:40 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I just discovered something this weekend, and I thought it was worth sharing - since this thread is about rust.

I'm cleaning up a used engine to swap out for "Stinky", and I'm stripping the old paint before I repaint. I'm not using the old oil pan, so I used it as a test bed for the stripper (Citrustrip) before moving on to the block. What I found stunned me: Under the perfect painted surface, I found minor rusting. The only thing I can attribute this to is the pan had minor surface rust when it was painted, because there was no accompanying surface damage to the paint. Maybe the pan was made of Chinese steel, maybe it was open to air a little too long after manufacture before painting - I don't know. I do know that once the paint is compromised, the rust cometh... but this underlying rust "corroded" my confidence in a stock oil pan - given the issues many others have with theirs.

Does this relate in any way to body rust? I hope not. I'm just sharing this for mull factor. One thing's for sure... once rust starts, it's up to us to aggressively stop it - before it aggressively stops us.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:19 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I just discovered something this weekend, and I thought it was worth sharing - since this thread is about rust.

I'm cleaning up a used engine to swap out for "Stinky", and I'm stripping the old paint before I repaint. I'm not using the old oil pan, so I used it as a test bed for the stripper (Citrustrip) before moving on to the block. What I found stunned me: Under the perfect painted surface, I found minor rusting. The only thing I can attribute this to is the pan had minor surface rust when it was painted, because there was no accompanying surface damage to the paint. Maybe the pan was made of Chinese steel, maybe it was open to air a little too long after manufacture before painting - I don't know. I do know that once the paint is compromised, the rust cometh... but this underlying rust "corroded" my confidence in a stock oil pan - given the issues many others have with theirs.

Does this relate in any way to body rust? I hope not. I'm just sharing this for mull factor. One thing's for sure... once rust starts, it's up to us to aggressively stop it - before it aggressively stops us.
I do a lot of old car rust repair and a lot has to do with your local environment. Here in extra dry So Cal it isn't much of an issue. But where its moist and salt is used on the streets it is brutal! Ive repaired a few of those older New York cars and there is nothing under the paint! LOL

Old 07-25-2016, 03:27 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You may have to pull and replace the glass to really get to all the rust and stop it. Your environment in FL will be a real test of how well you stopped/removed and coated the rust.