Sponsored by:

95 Bronco A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 06:21 PM
Josh Dershem
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 Bronco A/C question

I've looked through several forums via google searching my problem and couldn't find what i was looking for. If you know it's posted elsewhere feel free to let me know. If you have answers, TIA.

My AC has freon in it but the compressor isn't engaging. AC hasn't worked the whole time I've had it and i't hotter than satans butt hole now so i gotta fix it. i recently replaced the valve on the hose by the compressor since it was leaking. i charged it up and no leak anymore but still no cold air. broke out the volt meter and here's what i got. 12.5v at the plug going into the compressor clutch. 14v at the plug going into the compressor. 14v at the plug going into the accumulator. I put the freon can with the gauge on it and it still reads charged. i tried to use a jumper wire on the accumulator plug and it didn't engage.

Where should i look next? anybody know what it's likely to be?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:12 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Carry it to an AC shop. But thats my opinion

Old 07-24-2016, 08:51 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Josh i agree with Manfred There are way too many ac shops that offer service , get it done right .Good luck TR

Old 07-24-2016, 09:14 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Yeah especially since it deals with the AC.

i mean i can replace compressors and all of that but I like to have a shop check over the stuff because I dont want to have to go back and fix it especially when it is vital to prevent me from sweating my nads off.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:20 AM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Do you get any air out of the vents in the ac position? How about with max ac? Is it even slightly cooler or is it ambient temp?

Does the heater work?

It could be something simple like a stuck blend door, or it could be something a bit more complicated like a fouled compressor or accumulator. So troubleshooting it over the internet might take awhile. It would be quicker and maybe cheaper in the long run, to have a pro check it out like the others said.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:49 AM
tigerhawk_212
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mention that you replaced a valve and charged it up, did you not evacuate the entire system with a vacuum pump? That's required to remove all air before you can charge it.

You should be able to jump the compressor to see if it's working, at the pressure switch on the accumulator; so if that doesn't work it would appear your compressor is at fault. Are you able to spin the compressor by hand?

Old 07-25-2016, 11:04 AM
Josh Dershem
New User
It all blows the same temperature on "a/c" and "max a/c" but I know the blender works. I can hear it and it gets hotter when I turn the heat on. The clutch on the compressor isn't seized up it spins by hand.

After I replaced the valve I didn't exactly have it vacuumed. I slowly filled it and bled the air out of the other valve while I did it.

Is it likely that the compressor won't turn when I jump it because I didn't vacuum it when I charged it?

Taking it to a shop is last resort for me. Id rather Learn to do it than pay somebody because it'll be cheaper in the long run. I'm on my third bronco that needs a/c work and it'd be nice to not pay people to work on other trucks I get in the future.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:11 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Dershem

After I replaced the valve I didn't exactly have it vacuumed. I slowly filled it and bled the air out of the other valve while I did it.

Is it likely that the compressor won't turn when I jump it because I didn't vacuum it when I charged it?
This is exactly why you need the right tools for the job. Invest in some tools and training or take it to a shop. What you attempted to do may not be the root cause of your issue but it will guarantee the A/C will not function as designed.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:36 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
yeah like RLA says..the AC requires more than basic tools to make it work right.

the system usually has to be flushed and then new freon put in.

replacing the compressor and stuff is easy but still best to have someone who knows what theyre doing to look at it first and just watch and learn.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:41 PM
Josh Dershem
New User
I absolutely agree with what you said about the tools. I read a couple forums (not this site) that said that worked for them so I figured it was worth a shot. If I vacuumed the system and recharged it, is it likely that the clutch would engage? Does everything else sound like it's in check? Or should the clutch engage when I jump it regardless of the contents of the system?

Old 07-25-2016, 01:50 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
I absolutely agree with what you said about the tools. I read a couple forums (not this site) that said that worked for them so I figured it was worth a shot. If I vacuumed the system and recharged it, is it likely that the clutch would engage? Does everything else sound like it's in check? Or should the clutch engage when I jump it regardless of the contents of the system?
the clutch should engage once it gets power to it. if it doesnt..well its done for.

and those people might had a system that was charged and just needed a little freon. but yours hasnt work since youve had it and more than likely you introduced air in the system when replacing the valve.

freon lubes the compressor. its not like the old ac pumps (York pumps) trucks use to have that had its own seperate oil system apart from the freon.

if this truck of yours had no freon in it and someone had the AC going..it will destroy it since it isnt getting lubed by the freon.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Josh Dershem
New User
So do you think it needs a complete compressor or just the clutch?

Old 07-25-2016, 01:56 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
So do you think it needs a complete compressor or just the clutch?
hard to say..i dont know how long the AC has been ran without freon. and if the clutch engages then clearly it isnt the clutch.

best bet just get a new compressor. and carry it to a AC shop to put freon in it.

you can replace the compressor yourself so thatll save you some money

Old 07-25-2016, 02:33 PM
Josh Dershem
New User
Got a buddy with a fox body mustang that's gonna let me get a compressor. Gonna try and get that on tonight or tomorrow and get it vac'd and charged ASAP. It was empty for a couple years probably. I've had it for a year and a half and the army guy I got it from was always gone n didn't get much done with it the six months he had it. The 5.0 compressor should be the same as the 5.8 right?

Old 07-25-2016, 02:48 PM
ManfredVonRichtofen
Postmaster
Got a buddy with a fox body mustang that's gonna let me get a compressor. Gonna try and get that on tonight or tomorrow and get it vac'd and charged ASAP. It was empty for a couple years probably. I've had it for a year and a half and the army guy I got it from was always gone n didn't get much done with it the six months he had it. The 5.0 compressor should be the same as the 5.8 right?
its according. the mounting location points may be different.

Quick Reply: 95 Bronco A/C question