6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Grand design rv

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:27 AM
Lawrencew
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grand design rv

Anyone having owned one, what's your feedback?

Old 07-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Rubiconrod
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lawrencew
Anyone having owned one, what's your feedback?
I have a 2015 Reflection 303RLS. We love ours. Just got back from a 1,200 mile round trip yesterday. Let me know what you would like to know.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
I looked at the solitude line, which is their nicest I believe, comparing it to the Montana we were looking at. It is a nice camper don't get me wrong but I felt we got a lot more for the same money with the Montana. Not so much more options just seemed like higher quality and better thought out design. Such as the basement storage doors have struts and slam latches on the Montana and the grand design doors have to be opened 180 degrees and manually pull a clip to hold it open. Not the end of the world but the kids aren't tall enough to latch it open so they would have troubles getting things out of the basement.

The sales guy's biggest sales pitch on the grand design was super insulated and more solid floors and slides. As to the insulation I can't say for sure but the floors and slides were in no way more solid in the grand design. I could feel the floors give a bit when walking and my 120 lb wife said the same thing. I also like the legacy package with the in-command system which isn't available on a grand design.

I can't say the grand design is bad or you shouldn't buy one, I'm only saying what we thought about them. Now if there's a floor plan you just have to have and grand design is the only one who makes it or there's not a better option I would buy one based on the little bit of research I did. I feel the Montana with the bonus room floor plan was a better option given the choice, if Montana has a floor plan you're interested it's worth a look. Of course I have a bit of a biased opinion tho....

Old 07-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Rubiconrod
Senior User
Originally Posted by Andrew010
I looked at the solitude line, which is their nicest I believe, comparing it to the Montana we were looking at. It is a nice camper don't get me wrong but I felt we got a lot more for the same money with the Montana. Not so much more options just seemed like higher quality and better thought out design. Such as the basement storage doors have struts and slam latches on the Montana and the grand design doors have to be opened 180 degrees and manually pull a clip to hold it open. Not the end of the world but the kids aren't tall enough to latch it open so they would have troubles getting things out of the basement.

The sales guy's biggest sales pitch on the grand design was super insulated and more solid floors and slides. As to the insulation I can't say for sure but the floors and slides were in no way more solid in the grand design. I could feel the floors give a bit when walking and my 120 lb wife said the same thing. I also like the legacy package with the in-command system which isn't available on a grand design.

I can't say the grand design is bad or you shouldn't buy one, I'm only saying what we thought about them. Now if there's a floor plan you just have to have and grand design is the only one who makes it or there's not a better option I would buy one based on the little bit of research I did. I feel the Montana with the bonus room floor plan was a better option given the choice, if Montana has a floor plan you're interested it's worth a look. Of course I have a bit of a biased opinion tho....
I have a Reflection and the storage doors use magnets, not manual latches. Not sure about th4 solitude line but if the reflection uses magnets I would assume all the other lines also use magnets.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:03 PM
G-Dad
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Rubiconrod;16447129]I have a 2015 Reflection 303RLS. We love ours. Just got back from a 1,200 mile round trip yesterday. Let me know what you would like to know.

Rubiconrod; What hitch are you using and do you have any clearance or turning limitations with that hitch?
Thanks, Bill

Old 07-24-2016, 04:13 PM
Rubiconrod
Senior User
[QUOTE=G-Dad;16447526]
Originally Posted by Rubiconrod
I have a 2015 Reflection 303RLS. We love ours. Just got back from a 1,200 mile round trip yesterday. Let me know what you would like to know.

Rubiconrod; What hitch are you using and do you have any clearance or turning limitations with that hitch?
Thanks, Bill
I use the B&W Companion Slider since I have a short bed. But I have never had to use the slider. You will see in one of these photos how close it gets to the cab with the wheel fully cocked. I suspect under. Very aggressive jackknife going backwards. I have a good 8 inches clearance between the bed rails and the trailer. The hitch head is adjustable. Never had any issues.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:28 PM
mebe2k
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
[QUOTE=Rubiconrod;16447541]
Originally Posted by G-Dad

One of the reasons why I bought a long bed truck.. that is scary!

Old 07-24-2016, 04:42 PM
Rubiconrod
Senior User
[QUOTE=mebe2k;16447566]

Actually not scary for me. That photo was taken by my father-in-law standing next to the truck. We were in an empty parking lot and I was testing to see what the limitations are with my setup. In the 7,000+ miles I've towed with this setup I've never even come close to what you see in the photo.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:57 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
To the OP, Grand Design is a very decent brand. It was started by folks who left Keystone and Heartland who wanted to do it better. They are very well financed and are known to offer excellent support after the sale. Their owners forum is also known to be one of the more knowledgeable and helpful RV forums on the net. If they had a floorplan I liked, I would have no reservations buying one of their products.

As to the slider being necessary with a short bed that was discussed later in this thread.... This is not a black and white, necessary/not necessary thing. It is dependent on the person towing and their level of skill and attention paid while maneuvering an RV. I have a short bed and have never come close to needing a slider in about 25k miles. Other guys have had cab to trailer contact. I always hear the argument that, "if your not paying really close attention without a slider, you could have contact and damage." I always reply with, if I'm not paying really close attention, I could also hit a tree. So, on both fronts, I pay really close attention... YMMV...

Old 07-24-2016, 06:15 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
I have a Reflection and the storage doors use magnets, not manual latches. Not sure about th4 solitude line but if the reflection uses magnets I would assume all the other lines also use magnets.

I couldn't say for sure but I'm pretty sure it was spring loaded clips that had to be pulled out to go around the doors. The reason it stuck in my mind was the clips were on the sides of the door and fairly awkward to use.

I did look at a few different models that day and it is possible I've got something mixed up but either way the point was the struts and slam latches being easier to use.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:18 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=Rubiconrod;16447541]
Originally Posted by G-Dad

I use the B&W Companion Slider since I have a short bed. But I have never had to use the slider. You will see in one of these photos how close it gets to the cab with the wheel fully cocked. I suspect under. Very aggressive jackknife going backwards. I have a good 8 inches clearance between the bed rails and the trailer. The hitch head is adjustable. Never had any issues.

[QUOTE=mebe2k;16447566]

Demco autoslide hitch. No having to get out to adjust and no forgetting to slide it and have contact.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:22 PM
Rubiconrod
Senior User
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
To the OP, Grand Design is a very decent brand. It was started by folks who left Keystone and Heartland who wanted to do it better. They are very well financed and are known to offer excellent support after the sale. Their owners forum is also known to be one of the more knowledgeable and helpful RV forums on the net. If they had a floorplan I liked, I would have no reservations buying one of their products.

As to the slider being necessary with a short bed that was discussed later in this thread.... This is not a black and white, necessary/not necessary thing. It is dependent on the person towing and their level of skill and attention paid while maneuvering an RV. I have a short bed and have never come close to needing a slider in about 25k miles. Other guys have had cab to trailer contact. I always hear the argument that, "if your not paying really close attention without a slider, you could have contact and damage." I always reply with, if I'm not paying really close attention, I could also hit a tree. So, on both fronts, I pay really close attention... YMMV...
Two excellent points. One of the reasons we bought GD was their customer service. I had a couple issues early on, one being a lippert issue, and GD took care of us on the spot. And you are absolutely right about the slider hitch. A long bed would not fit in my driveway so went with a short bed. I bought the slider for peace of mind knowing that if I was to get into a jam that I always had the option of using it. Dozens of camping ground and over 7,000 miles later I have never come close to needing it. Like you said, pay attention to where you are going. Your entries and exits and plan accordingly and you should be fine.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:35 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat

I agree that grand design is a good product and good people from everything I've read and people I've spoke with. The dealer we bought the Montana from also sold grand design and honestly was pushing them more than the Montana. If the price wasn't almost the same as the Montana we would have seriously considered it as an option but the Montana just had a few options we really wanted and for the same price might as well get what you want.

I reread my post and wanted to clarify I wasn't bashing grand design, only stating what we experienced.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:17 PM
Lawrencew
Senior User
Thanks a bunch guys , we have an older Montana now absolutely love it , has rear bunks, but changes may make those unnessasary , looked at a new Montana fell in love then as we walked away saw a GD momentum 376TH wow show stopper with the garage in rear for bike! But both are awesome lookin units

Old 07-25-2016, 06:30 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either with the edge going to GD for service after the sale. If you want a garage, the Momentum is the way to go though. Of course, you didn't ask but if you do, I'll do my best to sell you on an XLR. My dealer sells and ships to Canada and will soundly beat any Canadian dealer on price. On a custom ordered unit, expect about 35-37% off MSRP...

Quick Reply: Grand design rv