Adding Timbrens to 2016 F350 SRW

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 07:30 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts
Adding Timbrens to 2016 F350 SRW

Anyone care to share your experiences with the above? I just need a little bit of extra suspension to get rid of the minor 1-2" sag when hitched to my 5ver.

I've ordered them, and will plan on putting them on next week. Any tips or tricks you care to share would be helpful.

Decided I did not want airbags at this time, always an option down the road if necessary, looking for simple right now.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:26 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I think you will like them. I've got Timbrens on my work truck and a friend of mine runs them on his trucks as well.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:50 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I think you will like them. I've got Timbrens on my work truck and a friend of mine runs them on his trucks as well.
Thanks for the feedback, Chris.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:00 AM
Bigdon68
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried the Timbrens for the same reason and ended up going with Firestone Ride Rites - airbags -- . I only run18-20 lbs of air in the bags but they do a much better job and don't effect the ride at all.

bigdon68

Old 07-25-2016, 06:16 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Bigdon68
I tried the Timbrens for the same reason and ended up going with Firestone Ride Rites - airbags -- . I only run18-20 lbs of air in the bags but they do a much better job and don't effect the ride at all.

bigdon68
Don,

Why did you switch? I presume you didnt like them?

Old 07-25-2016, 08:35 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
I'll just copy and paste from posts I've made in the past lol

I had Timbrens on my 2004 F250. They worked well. They were relatively cheap too. And they don't affect unloaded ride much. Only if suspension moves more than about an inch. Then they hit the bump stop perch and can make a slight jarring affect. But only under extreme suspension travel. Generally not a problem on paved roads.

On my current truck I did air bags AND added a set of TorkLift StableLoads.

They make your overload springs engage sooner. And when you're not towing, you dis-engage them and you're back to a stock ride.

May be a little more expensive than Timbrens, but I like them more.

If I had to choose ONE rear suspension upgrade to improve my towing it would be the StableLoads.

Disclaimer: I have recommended StableLoads in a few different threads today. NO I do not work for, or have an interest in the company. I am not paid to endorse them either. They just work.

And from another post of mine:

Originally Posted by scraprat
My '12' was the same way put some weight in it and it would sag.

I installed these Truck Camper Suspension - truck sway - truck sag - reduce camper roll | StableLoad

That was when I first got the truck it has 105K miles on it now carrying weight and they've been engaged from the day I put them on. The truck sits level no matter how much weight is put in it and handles great. Easy install of just removing the rear tires taking the weight of the springs by jacking the truck and then installing the Stable_loads an hour or so tops.
Originally Posted by Good listener
The Stableload remedy is still working great on my 2015. Simple, failure proof, and quick to engage/disengage the wedges.
+1 for the StableLoads.

My 2004 F250 Had Timbrens. Good, but not adjustable and barely adequate.

On my 2015 I added AirLift 5000 Ultimate airbags AND StableLoads.

I think the StableLoads made the biggest/best bang for the buck difference in towing my 13K# 5th wheel (both trucks towed this 5th wheel).

If I had to choose only ONE suspension add-on - between air bags, Timbrens, and StableLoads..... I'd choose StableLoads.

And a good set of shocks. I'm running Rancho RS9000XLs now and I'm happy with them.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:53 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Here are some comparison pics. Same 5th wheel, different trucks.

My red 2004 had a 4" lift in the rear and 2 lift in the front. Rancho RS7000MT shock and Timbrens in the rear.

It sat with a slight forward rake when unloaded. With the camper it sat noticeably low in the rear. Probably a good 3" or more squat - even with the Timbrens.

My silver 2015 has 2" stock F250 blocks in the rear. Not the 4" blocks like F350 SRW have and/or the F250 camper package trucks get.

It sits level unloaded.

I've added AirLift 5000 Ultimate air bags, StableLoads, and Rancho 9000XL shocks.

Stock Suspension:

With upgrades:

Old 07-25-2016, 08:58 AM
Ginther
Laughing Gas
Timbrens are a good product. No doubt about it.

The main reason I went a different route on my new truck was the lack of adjustability on the Timbrens and they weren't quite strong enough for my application.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Garyl53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also had Timbrens but I thought the ride was a bit harsh so I changed to Lower Stableloads. It was a much more controlled ride and it solved my sag issue as well as the Timbrens did. Now I am installing air bags also (as did Ginther) to help improve the ride a bit more. Hopefully it will help. I also tried upper Stableloads along with the lower but I found that the overload spring engagement created a rough ride so therefore I am now trying the airbags to keep the truck off of the overload springs.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:41 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Thanks all for the info. We'll see how this goes!

Old 07-31-2016, 03:18 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Had Timbrens installed by local Ford dealer while I was on vacation, towed the fifth home about 200 miles. First notice that the truck sat level! woohoo. Unloaded ride not too noticeably different. When I got home, I climbed under the truck to take a look. on the passenger side the Timbren is about 1/4"-3/8" above the bump stop, and on the drivers side it is touching. I guess my truck is already leaning with less than 10K miles on it.

Here's a photo, almost thinking I might be a smidge nose high?

Old 08-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Garyl53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am surprised the Timbren's are touching when unloaded. Perhaps they can delete a spacer? Of course this will increase your sag by that amount but improve the unloaded ride. Make sure they installed the correct part number for your vehicle. I think Timbren recommends 1" clearance when unloaded in the install instructions.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Garyl53
I am surprised the Timbren's are touching when unloaded. Perhaps they can delete a spacer? Of course this will increase your sag by that amount but improve the unloaded ride. Make sure they installed the correct part number for your vehicle. I think Timbren recommends 1" clearance when unloaded in the install instructions.
Gary, thanks. I verified the part no I ordered, Ford did the install without the spacer they came with. I contacted Timbren to ask about this. They said it's not a big deal unless the unloaded ride is too rough. Jury is still out on that as I still have my rear tires aired up to 80psi. Right side has a 3/8" gap, drivers side is just touching but not compressed, the truck must be leaning a bit. I'll probably just continue as-is for awhile. My hitch weighs upward of 250lbs, and probably accounts for the reduced gap as well.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:21 PM
ssunit1
Laughing Gas
Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Put Timbren's on my '15 F250 towing the Coachman below. The truck sits level which was my main concern. I mainly drive in Florida where the roads are pretty good so the ride is not an issue.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:49 PM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Timbrens work for me, this is the second truck I have put them on.

Quick Reply: Adding Timbrens to 2016 F350 SRW