6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Good price on Diesel Kleen (look)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:13 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 410 Likes on 272 Posts
Good price on Diesel Kleen (look)

Not interested in a debate on the product, but for those of you who use it I ran across this at Amazon, I think you need to be a Prime member, but you can do a 30 day free trial to get the deal:

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Service...F90PASB8QAZFX7

Enjoy!

Old 07-23-2016, 01:59 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
What's so great about THAT price....buy 2 80 ounce'ers for $36 - also Amazon OK...I see the diff - This is concentrated... only 4oz per 36 gallons fuel.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:16 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Yeah, I've been buying the 80 ouncers too, especially look for them on sale at under $15, like Tractor Supply had them for $13.99 and I bought what they had and got a rain check. But if you just go off the suggested gallons treated for either at their respective concentrations, this would be like finding the 80 oz. jug for $11 each...

I've been watching the price on the more concentrated one off and on for a couple months and this is the best deal I've seen...

Old 07-24-2016, 07:33 AM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Diesel Kleen but the biggest issue I have with it is I don't use an entire bottle on a single tank of gas. And when you close the bottle the fumes still seem to escape and the truck stinks of it. I have been keeping it near the drivers door in the driveway so I can take it when I need to fill up.

Any suggestions for a fully sealed bottle to store this in the cab?

Old 07-24-2016, 07:52 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Macrosill
I use Diesel Kleen but the biggest issue I have with it is I don't use an entire bottle on a single tank of gas. And when you close the bottle the fumes still seem to escape and the truck stinks of it. I have been keeping it near the drivers door in the driveway so I can take it when I need to fill up.

Any suggestions for a fully sealed bottle to store this in the cab?
I reuse smaller bottles that I refill. I'm considering the spun aluminum water bottles that have the threaded top with a sealing surface. Like the pic below. Or the official chainsaw portable fuel tank which is the same thing except it's approved for gas/oil mix.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:18 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
It's now at $44.25 each, I guess one of those short lived Amazon Windows.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:54 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
It's now at $44.25 each, I guess one of those short lived Amazon Windows.
That's what I paid. Cheapest I'd seen it before was eBay at $50, but then that seller was a flake, so there was one selling them at $53 and I almost bought from him. So the gallon is quoted at treating 1000 gallons of fuel, or a little over $11 per every 250 gallons, which is what the 80 ounce bottle treats. That's how I looked at it for comparison purposes.

I use the standard size water bottles, used, (clean and dry of course) -- any brand of disposable ones. I put in about what I think will match what I'll be taking on fuel-wise, then just dump it in before filling up and toss the bottle in the gas station trash can. I have left some of these pre-dosed water bottles in the truck for weeks without smelling a thing...

Old 07-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I use the metal cans for seafoam or other gas additives. They have metal lids and work well. I reuse them since I dont buy much of the gasoline stuff anymore. I have a cross bed box installed and keep the cans in there.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:18 PM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
I reuse smaller bottles that I refill. I'm considering the spun aluminum water bottles that have the threaded top with a sealing surface. Like the pic below. Or the official chainsaw portable fuel tank which is the same thing except it's approved for gas/oil mix.

That sounds like a good idea!

Originally Posted by Hank85713
I use the metal cans for seafoam or other gas additives. They have metal lids and work well. I reuse them since I dont buy much of the gasoline stuff anymore. I have a cross bed box installed and keep the cans in there.
I have SeaFoam in a gallon container. I may look at getting the smaller size and dump it into the gallon container just to get the bottle and try it if the aluminum water bottle from the dollar store does not work.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:50 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Not interested in a debate on the product,
Well, I guess I won't debate. But since I don't use it, What differences should I expect if I do use it?

Old 07-25-2016, 11:14 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by HT32BSX115
Well, I guess I won't debate. But since I don't use it, What differences should I expect if I do use it?
I started using it infrequently when USLD came out as I don't totally trust the operators at the terminals getting the mix of lubricity additive right, so that was why I would throw it in there.

See I was an operator at a refinery, and I remember the guys in Blending screwing things up, not all the time, but enough that we'd have to "fix" the blends, only rarely did we re-run it, often it would be "get it close enough". I doubt operators have changed much over the years, so where there is chance for human error, errors will be made, and ULSD only gets its lubricity if a terminal operator puts it in.

So it was for adding some Lubricity protection for my injectors number one, then as I started using it all the time was noticing smoother cold starts. Then lastly, but about as important as number one: has been reading of folks taking their EGR out or turbo out for cleaning and noticing how they really didn't need it and the only thing changed was using DK (or other additives too). While this info. might be anecdotal, I don't see why folks would lie about what they have personally found.

I also bought a used diesel pusher motor home last year, and one of the things the previous owner had to just get done was cleaning and replacing parts of the EGR system, to the tune of over $3K. The shop reported how sooted up everything was. I don't want to have to have that system cleaned however X miles it would need to be.

I have an old Bobcat and have been using additive for it since LSD came out, as it has a fuel system that requires extra lubricity. So I use the DK for everything, mainly for "insurance" in the lubricity and hopefully cleaner burn.

I realize you aren't a believer in additives, and we aren't debating here, I'm just answering your question by telling you why I use it.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:15 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I realize you aren't a believer in additives, and we aren't debating here, I'm just answering your question by telling you why I use it.
And a good answer it is indeed! Thanks!

It's not really a belief thing for me. I've been driving diesel vehicles from little VWs to Cummins/DDA powered trucks and equipment since the 70's and have never used any fuel additives and neither did the people around me. None of us experienced ill effects as a result.......so I have to admit, I'm naturally a tad skeptical of any of them

Cheers,

Rick

Old 07-25-2016, 12:54 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Typically I don't use additives, especially fuel related. Occasionally I've tried all the normal, and non-normal assists such as syn 2-stroke oil. Where I've really seen a difference was in using Opti-lube in my '80's Ford diesel tractor, which really got the injector's to work better.

The second place that I've used it religiously for as long as I can remember is with my 1952 Allis-Chalmers dozer with a GMC 2-Stroke diesel. I can't imagine any engineer at that time thinking of USLD and the lubricity issue. I just can't take the chance with that one. But when my tractor started to get funky with its injector's and Opti-Lube cleared that up I was impressed.

Scott, maybe I mistook what BPofMD posted about price.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:56 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Well it doesn't matter much anyhoo -- I checked yesterday and the price had gone up to $45.08 and they had 2 left. Then checked today and the price is the same but it now says: "usually ships within 1 to 2 months".

Yeah, I'll wait on that... (not!)

Old 07-25-2016, 03:53 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I was about to buy tractor tires after saving them to my list the previous day and they were out of stock with several months delay shown. Less then a week later back in stock. It's a company I've learned to check back with.

Quick Reply: Good price on Diesel Kleen (look)