1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

8 Hours from home, Transmission Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Travis S
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Will it dissolve any metal particles that are stuck in the cooler? I maintain there is NO WAY to adequately flush a cooler.
Generally, one does NOT want a metal-dissolving solution in a fluid cooler, it tends to dissolve them too

HOWEVER, it will dissolve any crud, nasties and carbon buildup that would keep such metallic debris stuck so it can be flushed out.

Plus, after 3x flush/back flush cycles plus the super clean beforehand, anything left would be caught by the filter. So after it is rebuilt, do a fluid/filter change in 500 or so miles for that last bit of security.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:32 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,051 Posts
I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:39 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by herojeep
Orange rear seal I guess is for the 2wd? I have 4x4. Is the other large seal for the t-case?
Yes, you are correct.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:42 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
What about the turbulators inside the passages in the cooler? How do you remove the crud that gets stuck in those?
Half my kingdom for a nanobot with a scrub brush!

Old 10-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by alloro
Half my kingdom for a nanobot with a scrub brush!
Hmmm...it may be time to start working on my next invention.....

Old 10-22-2016, 01:32 AM
herojeep
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DONE! My parents came by to babysit for my anniversary and dad ended up helped me take it apart one last time.

Found the snap ring was missing to rest the reverse band on. One bearing was an old one I had pulled out, found the spot for the other bearing and got it all put back together. Topped off all the fluids and also changed the T-case and diff fluids.

Having the instruction manual would have been worth the money but found this guy online which helped a ton. It was the most comprehensive 4-6 hours of video series that I found.

Took it for a test drive and

So thrilled. Shops quoted me $2500 and up. Stage 4 rebuild kit with everything including bearings and bushings for $330. Required hard parts due to gear damage, $180. Fluids about $100. Total $610 and my time. Total savings of at least $1900.

So happy I did this myself. Not hard to do at all. I will never hesitate to rebuild an auto again. I would reccommend a large workspace, feeler gauges, an air compressor to test the clutches, most importantly some reference (manual, video) material for proper measurements and placement of parts.

I'll check back in once I get some miles on it.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:35 PM
Travis S
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
DONE! My parents came by to babysit for my anniversary and dad ended up helped me take it apart one last time.

Found the snap ring was missing to rest the reverse band on. One bearing was an old one I had pulled out, found the spot for the other bearing and got it all put back together. Topped off all the fluids and also changed the T-case and diff fluids.

Having the instruction manual would have been worth the money but found this guy online which helped a ton. It was the most comprehensive 4-6 hours of video series that I found.

Took it for a test drive and

So thrilled. Shops quoted me $2500 and up. Stage 4 rebuild kit with everything including bearings and bushings for $330. Required hard parts due to gear damage, $180. Fluids about $100. Total $610 and my time. Total savings of at least $1900.

So happy I did this myself. Not hard to do at all. I will never hesitate to rebuild an auto again. I would reccommend a large workspace, feeler gauges, an air compressor to test the clutches, most importantly some reference (manual, video) material for proper measurements and placement of parts.

I'll check back in once I get some miles on it.
Hell yeah!! +1 for sticking it to the man, rolling up your sleeves and doing it for yourself. Go have a cold one and a big steak, you deserve it

When I get a chance, I'll be sure to scope out the videos you mentioned. My truck just hit 295k today, so better to be prepared ahead of time. Plus, I get 10% off anything on Amazon too

Old 10-22-2016, 08:46 PM
herojeep
Senior User
If you're even considering doing it, I know you can. Feels real good to have accomplished it. One of the big things like I said is a large work surface to lay everything out. Be prepared though for the videos. He is a very animated guy that talks really fast so be warned fore warned to keep up with him.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:48 PM
herojeep
Senior User
Oh, I forgot to add in one other thing. Replaced the torque converter for $130. Always recommended when there is material in the pan.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

ALWAYS replace the torque converter when rebuilding the transmission.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:46 AM
herojeep
Senior User
There needs to be a tail between the legs emogi cause thats how I feel right now coming back here. Got about 250 miles on it.

Left work in the first major rain so traffic was horrible. Stop and go for 45 minutes before it finally opened up. When traffic opened up I could feel the transmission shift up to second then when it should have shifted to third it just reved. When I slowed a bit it shifted to second and had engagement again. Sped back up (I think it was happening above 35-45mph, I cant remember now) and it reved again like it was in neutral. If I downshifted it would engage second or if I turned off the OD it would engage second. So I drove home almost in tears in second gear in the slow lane.

From what I have read it is likely the intermediate piston seals. Other possibilities are the OD (?) piston spring broke, or a piston in the valve body is stuck. Someone suggested the solenoid pack but from what I have read if one when out i could lose third but 4th would drop it back to second.

I plan on dropping the pan tomorrow and start looking around there. Any obvious thoughts or things to check?

Old 11-11-2016, 02:38 AM
alloro
Any obvious thoughts or things to check?
The current price of TNT comes to mind.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:44 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

From what I have read it is likely the intermediate piston seals.
The intermediate clutch is used to make the 1-2 shift. If it made the 1-2, it isn't the intermediate seals.

Other possibilities are the OD (?) piston spring broke,
Not possible. There is no OD piston in a 4R70W. There is an OD band, but it doesn't apply until fourth gear. Even if you had left it out of the trans the 2-3 shift would have worked.

Maybe the direct clutch seals. The direct clutch makes the 2-3 shift.

or a piston in the valve body is stuck.
That is possible. But usually that will cause no shift, not a shift to neutral.

Someone suggested the solenoid pack but from what I have read if one when out i could lose third but 4th would drop it back to second.
That is also possible. But usually that will cause no shift, not a shift to neutral.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:16 AM
alloro
Any chance it's just low on fluid?

Old 11-11-2016, 01:12 PM
herojeep
Senior User
Fluid was full but is black and smells like burnt fish. argh... Tranny coming back out for sure now.

Direct clutch is what I was meaning just got the names mixed up since I'm new at this.

Found this though on the valve body,

Looks like fluid got under the edge and made a new path. Not sure if it is a contributing factor.

Quick Reply: 8 Hours from home, Transmission Issues.