1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hard starting after sitting a few days.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 06:53 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Hard starting after sitting a few days.

My 48 is my weekend driver. So it sits dormant Monday through Friday. Saturdays, I'll hop in the cab ready to go run my Saturday errands. I turn the key, hit the starter button, and the old flathead will crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and craaaaaaaank and craaaaaaaaaaaank and buzz.

So then I'll get out the battery charger, and hook it up for a few minutes. Then I'll get in, turn the key, hit the button and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and crank and the engine will finally start running.

I'll run my errands and it will start easily for the rest of the weekend.

So, what's going on? Is my fuel draining out of the carb after a while?

Old 07-22-2016, 06:58 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Sounds like your are not getting gas, maybe fuel pump issues...plugged screen on the pickup tube in your tank so takes awhile to allow enough gas to make to the pump, just venturing a guess..

Old 07-22-2016, 07:09 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
You could install an inline fuel filter with a glass case near the carb, then you can see if the fuel is in the line after the truck sits.
Are you pumping the pedal while you are cranking it? Another thing you could do is look in the carb after the truck has sat, work the throttle, and verify fuel is shooting into the carb. If not either no fuel or bad accelerator pump.
I had one carb with a bad accelerator pump, would not start cold since you couldnt shoot gas into the intake by pumping the pedal. Once it was running it would restart ok once it was warmed up.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Ibuildmyown
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you have a choke hooked up on the carb ? That would help on cold starts after sitting. Have you tried priming the carb with a small bottle of gas ? Just grinding on the starter is going to make it wear out faster and mess up your battery. After about ten revolutions, if it doesn't start , it sounds like lack of fuel. Take the fuel line off at the carb and run it into a container and spin it over. You should get fuel from the line. If not , like John said , it could be a fuel pump issue or a clog.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:31 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
If you have a mechanical pump you need to replace it the diaphragm that holds the fuel up is shot it will still pump once started but will not hold fuel up . as was said pour some fuel down the carb to start this will tell you if fuel is your problem for sure if so either your carb bowl is empty or there is no fuel in the lines

Old 07-22-2016, 07:46 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by drptop70ss
You could install an inline fuel filter with a glass case near the carb, then you can see if the fuel is in the line after the truck sits.
Are you pumping the pedal while you are cranking it? Another thing you could do is look in the carb after the truck has sat, work the throttle, and verify fuel is shooting into the carb. If not either no fuel or bad accelerator pump.
I had one carb with a bad accelerator pump, would not start cold since you couldnt shoot gas into the intake by pumping the pedal. Once it was running it would restart ok once it was warmed up.

I have tried pumping the pedal, but it doesn't seem to help. I'll try working the throttle tomorrow and checking to see if fuel is shooting into the carb.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:52 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Originally Posted by Ibuildmyown
Do you have a choke hooked up on the carb ? That would help on cold starts after sitting. Have you tried priming the carb with a small bottle of gas ? Just grinding on the starter is going to make it wear out faster and mess up your battery. After about ten revolutions, if it doesn't start , it sounds like lack of fuel. Take the fuel line off at the carb and run it into a container and spin it over. You should get fuel from the line. If not , like John said , it could be a fuel pump issue or a clog.
I do have a choke, and I have it pulled while trying to start. I haven't tried priming the carb.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:24 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
Have you tried starting with the choke fully pulled?

Old 07-22-2016, 09:19 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Carburetors are made from base metals and add zinc to 'seal' the pores. Over time ethanol will erode the zinc allowing the fuel in the bowl to dissipate during extended periods of non-use. Unfortunately the same ethanol is also hard on the rubber parts of the fuel system including the diaphragm in the fuel pump. While it can probably keep up with demand while the engine is at running speed its output dwindles to nearly nothing at cranking speed - about 1/6th of idle speed. Add in a marginal fuel filter and you'll be lucky if it starts at all.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 AM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

So my truck made a liar out of me this morning.

I pumped the throttle once while watching the carb, and it shot fuel. So I pulled the choke and hit the starter. It started right up.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:48 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Some of these old girls just need to be handled with special care. Seriously, many stories were told when these were daily drivers as to how to start them, what worked best for John's Ford may not work well for Jim's Ford.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:31 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
Try non ethanol gas, sounds like your bowl is going dry in between runs. The ethanol gas evaporates quicker.

JB

Old 07-24-2016, 07:08 AM
army
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 50 Ford and my brother's 50 Mercury pickup have stock 6 volt systems and both evaporate the gas out of the bowl after several days. To avoid cranking it over for a long time we squirt gas in the vent to refill it. There's a 6 volt elect pump available that I'd like to try so I don't have to screw around like that. Not sure how well they work though.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Looks like I am having fuel issues. The truck died on me when I was out earlier today, and refused to start. I ended up having it towed home.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:54 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
That's no good. I would start back at the tank and work your way forward to the carb. If it's rusty, rip and replace.

JB

Quick Reply: Hard starting after sitting a few days.