Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Truck randomly stalled, glow plug light won't come on, truck cranks fine but won't fire

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 12:06 AM
90Ford73
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
Truck randomly stalled, glow plug light won't come on, truck cranks fine but won't fire

Evenin all. Been having hassle with reman IP's, but got a good one this time (six days old). Truck was running fine, fluids were good and clean etc. I'm rollin in to town, about five minutes out, and all of a sudden I lost all engine power. I was doing 110 km/h, and this was rather scary. I clutched, tried cranking it, and coasted in to the nearest approach. This was so sudden and violent that the power steering pump splattered some oil all over the place, and I smelled through the vents. I tried starting it, but she wouldn't fire; cranked over fine and all, but will not fire at all/ there is no fuel to the injectors. Also, my glowplug WTS light doesn't come on anymore. Why? Did I blow a fuse, or something? I don't want to point fingers at the pump and get another one if I'm not 100% sure. This is my only vehicle, and I kinda need it. Been busy with other things and havn't had time to check things out properly (and cool down).

The pump has less than 500 km on it. Could this be the FSS? Any and all help appreceited, sorry for the long-winded speal, but wanted to give as much info as I can. This truck just quit on me, no low idle or anything.

Its a 1990 F250HD Scab LB NA 7.3 IDI ZF5 4X4

Old 07-22-2016, 12:16 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like you may have lost electrical power to the motor.

If you have a test light, check the power to the forward most electrical connector on the left side of the IP for 12v+ with KeyOnRun.

If no test light, with KeyOnRun unplug and replug it listening for the click of the FSS.

As always, left is from the drivers seat.

I'm not sure if the 90 has the left fender fuse panel or not, If it does check them as well.

EDIT
If you need a picture of what wire, Speak and you shall receive!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-22-2016, 01:50 PM
90Ford73
More Turbo
Fixed!!

Thank you Festus, I have found my problem! I checked for power like you said, and worked my way back. It was a bare blue wire outside the loom on the passenger side against the fender (one of two blue wires outside the loom). The coating was worn completely off, and the wire was broken a little ways down where you couldn't see it. I did some splicing (to get it to the garage) then I'm going to solder later on this evening.

Almost wrecked the whole chuckwagon because of one wire....

Thanks again! Back in business!

Old 07-22-2016, 07:22 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Awesome, Glad you figured it out ... Might want to think about looming them or something to protect them. Why you're in there looking about, cleanup any other future problems.

That's why it is called Driving, Not Sleeping ... You have to always be aware something might go wrong!

Oh No, don't worry about yourself, protect the Chuckwagon, at all costs ...

-Enjoy

Old 07-22-2016, 09:04 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
That "wire" sounds like a fusible link that burned, which is what fusible links are supposed to do. That means two things. One, you should replace it with another fusible link and not just a wire, otherwise your wiring is not protected. Two, there's quite possibly a good reason that link burned, such as an overload somewhere downstream.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:30 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Aye, Good point ...

-Enjoy

Old 07-23-2016, 03:36 PM
90Ford73
More Turbo
Originally Posted by madpogue
That "wire" sounds like a fusible link that burned, which is what fusible links are supposed to do. That means two things. One, you should replace it with another fusible link and not just a wire, otherwise your wiring is not protected. Two, there's quite possibly a good reason that link burned, such as an overload somewhere downstream.
Good catch! I never noticed it working in the late evening. Indeed madpogue it is 20 gauge fusible link upon further inspection, but it rubbed through and broke under the coating about a cm back from the connector that connects it to the glow plugs and relay/controller (12 pin connector). Can I pull the pin that goes to this broken fusible link out of the connector somehow and rewire from the pin back so I can use new fusible link instead of splicing wire in? Thanks!

Old 07-23-2016, 06:02 PM
90Ford73
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 90Ford73
Good catch! I never noticed it working in the late evening. Indeed madpogue it is 20 gauge fusible link upon further inspection, but it rubbed through and broke under the coating about a cm back from the connector that connects it to the glow plugs and relay/controller (12 pin connector). Can I pull the pin that goes to this broken fusible link out of the connector somehow and rewire from the pin back so I can use new fusible link instead of splicing wire in? Thanks!
Nevermind gents I got the pin out and resoldered from the pin back with new fusible wire. Made it a little longer so it was out of the way and shouldn't rub. Thank you's for the help.

Next question: these little connecting pins wouldn't be available by themselves from Ford or an auto parts store? I am currently searching without any luck... Just wondering if anyone had bought/seen them. For some reason my projects seem to take place on the weekend...